yast/yast2 is missing after install using minimal DVD1

akashmishraakashmishra New or Quiet Member
Dear experts,
I am just new to SLES and just got one assignment to setup SLES15 to test something.
I have installed evaluation version using DVD SLE-15-Installer-DVD-x86_64-GM-DVD1.iso. Once installation done, I am not able to see yast/yast2 command. I have tried using zypper install <name> but no luck.

Need ur advise how I can install Yast.

Comments

• EugenEugen Senior Member
    Dear experts,
    I am just new to SLES and just got one assignment to setup SLES15 to test something.
    I have installed evaluation version using DVD SLE-15-Installer-DVD-x86_64-GM-DVD1.iso. Once installation done, I am not able to see yast/yast2 command. I have tried using zypper install <name> but no luck.

Need ur advise how I can install Yast.

Hi,

although I'm not entirely sure I believe you need to attach the "Packages" ISO to your machine and add it as a repository. Then you should be able to install yast packages.

Regards,
    Eugen
  • eblock wrote: »
    Hi,

although I'm not entirely sure I believe you need to attach the "Packages" ISO to your machine and add it as a repository. Then you should be able to install yast packages.

Regards,
    Eugen

Hi Eugen,

I have the same issue with sles15. I tried to mount two iso files of installer GM DVD and could not find out the yast rpm package. Please advise.

Best Regards
    James
  • smfloodsmflood Knowledge Partner
    yuhuihu wrote: »
    I have the same issue with sles15. I tried to mount two iso files of installer GM DVD and could not find out the yast rpm package. Please advise.

If you've really mounted two Installer ISOs try swapping one to the corresponding Packages ISO.

HTH.
    yuhuihu wrote: »
    Hi Eugen,

Best Regards
    James

Just to clarify: SLES 15 comes with two DVDs, the "Installer DVD" which is very basic, it's a minimal system (DVD size around 600 MB). The "Packages ISO" contains lots of packages and has a size of around 8 GB. So if you want to install required packages during installation or afterwards you can mount the Packages ISO and install the desired rpm's.

Regards,
    Eugen
  • VargaPeterVargaPeter Established Member
    eblock wrote: »
    Hi,

Regards,
    Eugen

Can you please advise how to install yast?

I have the Packages SLES 15.1 DVD mounted in /mnt, what are the next steps in order to install yast with zypper? Thx
    Can you please advise how to install yast?

I have the Packages SLES 15.1 DVD mounted in /mnt, what are the next steps in order to install yast with zypper? Thx

You need to add the /mnt directory as a repository, then search or install the required packages:
    # Add repo
    zypper ar /mnt SLES-Packages

# Build repo cache
    zypper ref

# Search packages
    zypper se -s yast

# Install package(s)
    zypper in <PACKAGE>