SLES15-sp1 and Lenovo SR650 server

John_GillJohn_Gill Established Member

Hi,
New Lenovo SR650 server, while installing either SLES12sp4 or SLES15sp1, I get the following error "Unable to configure the network card because the kernel device (eth0,wlan0) is not present"
dmesg shows nothing.
zypper in kernel-firmware is up to date
lspci shows IEthernet Controller Intel Corporation Device 37CC (rev09)
How do I update the firmware/software/hardware/nowhere so I can get a network connection....

regards
John

Comments

• malcolmlewismalcolmlewis Knowledge Partner

Hi
    Can you show the output from;

/sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 "Network|Ethernet"

• John_GillJohn_Gill Established Member

Hi Malcolm,
    Below is the output from /sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 "Network|Ethernet"
    0a:00.0 Ethernet Controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:37cc] (rev 09)
    subsystem : Lenovo Device [17aa:4021]
    5a:05.0 System Peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2034] (rev 07)
    subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:7800]

Regards
    John

Hi
    It looks like there is no support in the kernel for that device yet :( You might have to raise a support request for this.

/sbin/modinfo i40e | grep 37C
    alias:          pci:v00008086d000037CFsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
    alias:          pci:v00008086d000037CEsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
    uname -a
    Linux grover-sled152 5.3.18-22-default #1 SMP Wed Jun 3 12:16:43 UTC 2020 (720aeba) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Hi,
    Thanks for your help... How do I raise a support request for this issue...mainly what do I tell support people....
    John

Hi
    If you log into your SCC account, you should be able to create a new one there, I would just advise that the PCI ID is not in the current kernel module, therefore the i40 ethernet driver won't load. You can always link to this thread as well.

Thanks Malcolm, I have logged a call ....

Hi,
    It turns out the the server only had a type of "ethernet" port dedicated to the "Xclarity Management". Some versions of the server allow the port to be shared as "Management" and "Ethernet" ..... but I received the wrong model. Anyway problem solved, ordering a new LAN card.....
    Thanks
    John (this IT stuff is enuff to drive me insane) Gill

Hi
    Glad it's all sorted, hopefully if someone else has the issue, this thread will help :)