PDA

View Full Version : SLES 11 SP4 KVM stopped after server reboot!!



chas
03-Apr-2018, 17:53
I took the opportunity to reboot our KVM server during the Easter vacation. However, on the restarted server the vm's would not load and gave an error message end of file while reading data: Input/Output error. After a number of attempts, I rebuilt the KVM server and copied working vms back onto the system. I now find that small vm's up to about 15GB work OK, but larger vm's all give the "end of file while reading data : input/Output error". Looking at the build data of libvirt, it seems that there was an update on the 14th of March this year which I would think has caused this problem, as I have tried a number of backup vm's which I know work and all give the same error.

Anyone got any ideas how I can get the system back up and working. I tried a sles11sp3 build, but it did not like the defined xml file for the vms and indicated keyboard error, and also tried sles11sp4 with no updates installed, but the dns server errors without the updates being installed so this was no good either.

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

ChasR

chas
03-Apr-2018, 18:00
Have just downgraded libvirt and the larger vms now load with no errors. Looks like there are problems with the latest upgrade!!!!

ChasR.

ab
04-Apr-2018, 02:21
Could you share the working (older) and broken (newer) libvirt packages
specifically so others can know about the solution, and so I can look into
what may h ave changed?

If you are able to open a Service Request (SR) with SUSE, that would help
get them involved to fix things for the future, assuming they are not
already aware of, and fixing, the issue.


--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below.

If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
forum as I do not use the web interface often.

chas
04-Apr-2018, 15:45
Hi,
The new version which has caused the problem is dated 15th March 2018 and is 1.2.5-23.6.1-x86_64

The older version which gets things working again us dated 18th September 2017 an dis 1.2.5-23.3.1-x86_64.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Regards

ChasR

ab
10-Apr-2018, 17:03
I checked with some of the SUSE folks and they were unable to duplicate
this. If you have the time, please open a Service Request (SR) so this
can be formally worked on, and fixed. Since yours is the only report they
have seen so far (I talked to support folks who talked to engineering
folks) it may be something environment-specific, but fixing it would still
be nice since unique environments do not seem to stay unique forever, and
this is a pretty big problem for those impacted.


--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below.

If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
forum as I do not use the web interface often.