PDA

View Full Version : Changing HostName on SLED 11 SP2

sslattery11
24-Sep-2012, 21:18
I have been working on an installation of SLED 11 SP2 for a lab group wanting to do research. When I change the host name through the GUI-based tool in the YaST Control Center, then reboot to see if the name change is going to stay, most applets in the YaST Control Center no longer work. When I click on them, I get "busy" spinning wheel mouse point icon, then nothing happens. I can still use YaST from Terminal/command line, but the GUI in the Control Center breaks.

I have seen this on more than one computer and after at least a dozen re-installations it continues to happen. Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know what can be done about this?

Magic31
02-Oct-2012, 20:54
I have been working on an installation of SLED 11 SP2 for a lab group wanting to do research. When I change the host name through the GUI-based tool in the YaST Control Center, then reboot to see if the name change is going to stay, most applets in the YaST Control Center no longer work. When I click on them, I get "busy" spinning wheel mouse point icon, then nothing happens. I can still use YaST from Terminal/command line, but the GUI in the Control Center breaks.

I have seen this on more than one computer and after at least a dozen re-installations it continues to happen. Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know what can be done about this?

Haven't seen this with SLES 11 SPx.

Curious though... have you checked /etc/hosts to make sure it's not an old remnant in there causing delays in the host resolving itself wrongfully?

-Willem

Bob-O-Rama
03-Oct-2012, 03:20
When I change the host name through the GUI-based tool in the YaST Control Center, then reboot to see if the name change is going to stay, most applets in the YaST Control Center no longer work. When I click on them, I get "busy" spinning wheel mouse point icon, then nothing happens. I can still use YaST from Terminal/command line, but the GUI in the Control Center breaks.

Never seen that when I rename systems. How, specifically, are you changing the name? It should be Yast-->Network Devices-->Network Settings-->Hostname/DNS tab... and Bob's your uncle. When you look at /etc/hosts what does it look like? Does the prompt in the shell reflect the new host name?

-- Bob

oabuja
06-Nov-2013, 15:02

CHECK -> yast -> network settings -> global options -> if "Traditional Method with ifup" set or switch to the option. retry your efforts to change hostname.