PDA

View Full Version : Office files



Stevo
16-Oct-2012, 15:54
We are running into issues where users' files are becoming inaccessible.

We have had word docs, excel docs, and recently started having issues
with a couple publisher files.

These files are pretty old, like modified in 2003, and when we try to
open them in office 2003, 2007, and 2010, we get an error:

Publisher cannot open this file. This file was saved from a previous
version of Publisher. Publisher no longer supports files that were
saved in this version.

Around 2003 is when we weren't using office just yet, just a very few
were.

We've tried opening these in pretty much every software package we can
think of, all to no avail.

Any ideas?

--
Stevo

malcolmlewis
16-Oct-2012, 16:01
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 14:54:31 GMT
"Stevo" <steveSPAM@LESSccgov.net> wrote:

> We are running into issues where users' files are becoming
> inaccessible.
>
> We have had word docs, excel docs, and recently started having issues
> with a couple publisher files.
>
> These files are pretty old, like modified in 2003, and when we try to
> open them in office 2003, 2007, and 2010, we get an error:
>
> Publisher cannot open this file. This file was saved from a previous
> version of Publisher. Publisher no longer supports files that were
> saved in this version.
>
> Around 2003 is when we weren't using office just yet, just a very few
> were.
>
> We've tried opening these in pretty much every software package we can
> think of, all to no avail.
>
> Any ideas?
>
Hi
LibreOffice? Maybe MS have a viewer to confirm the version?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop
up 19:24, 3 users, load average: 0.01, 0.03, 0.05
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

Stevo
16-Oct-2012, 16:28
malcolmlewis sounds like they 'said':

> LibreOffice?

So my response to malcolmlewis's comment is...

Didn't seem to have any filters in it for publisher. Lots of ones for
powerpoint, word, etc, just no publisher.

--
Stevo

malcolmlewis
16-Oct-2012, 16:47
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:28:33 GMT
"Stevo" <steveSPAM@LESSccgov.net> wrote:

> malcolmlewis sounds like they 'said':
>
> > LibreOffice?
>
> So my response to malcolmlewis's comment is...
>
> Didn't seem to have any filters in it for publisher. Lots of ones for
> powerpoint, word, etc, just no publisher.
>
Hi
Sounds like you need an older copy from someone with a Win95 or 98
install...?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop
up 20:01, 3 users, load average: 0.15, 0.10, 0.07
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

Stevo
16-Oct-2012, 16:49
malcolmlewis sounds like they 'said':

> Hi
> Sounds like you need an older copy from someone with a Win95 or 98
> install...?

So my response to malcolmlewis's comment is...

That's what I'm wondering. Although one of our user support people has
been working on this for a while, trying to help a user w/ their excel
files, and she has tried all kinds of programs which have not worked.

Not sure if she's tried an actual office 95 or 97 install.

--
Stevo

malcolmlewis
16-Oct-2012, 16:49
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:47:00 GMT
malcolmlewis <malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:28:33 GMT
> "Stevo" <steveSPAM@LESSccgov.net> wrote:
>
> > malcolmlewis sounds like they 'said':
> >
> > > LibreOffice?
> >
> > So my response to malcolmlewis's comment is...
> >
> > Didn't seem to have any filters in it for publisher. Lots of ones
> > for powerpoint, word, etc, just no publisher.
> >
> Hi
> Sounds like you need an older copy from someone with a Win95 or 98
> install...?
>
Or maybe this?
http://blog.zamzar.com/2008/01/25/convert-ms-publisher-files-pub-files-to-doc-pdf-odt-rtf-and-more/

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop
up 20:13, 3 users, load average: 0.31, 0.10, 0.07
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

Stevo
16-Oct-2012, 17:23
malcolmlewis sounds like they 'said':

> Or maybe this?
> http://blog.zamzar.com/2008/01/25/convert-ms-publisher-files-pub-files
> -to-doc-pdf-odt-rtf-and-more/

So my response to malcolmlewis's comment is...

Had already seen & tried that, email I got after trying said there were
problems converting that file.............of course. <G>

--
Stevo

Susan
16-Oct-2012, 20:45
Have you tried zamzar.com? : )

--
Susan
Novell Community Chat Moderator

http://forums.novell.com/faq.php?faq=novfor#faq_rules
http://www.ncci.org NCCIrregulars Web Site
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NCCIrregulars

Please read the following before posting in here:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/27zopdy

Stevo
16-Oct-2012, 21:16
Susan sounds like they 'said':

> Have you tried zamzar.com? : )

So my response to Susan's comment is...

Yeah, they had trouble converting the file, of course. <G>

--
Stevo

Dave Taylor
17-Oct-2012, 07:17
"Stevo" <steveSPAM@LESSccgov.net> wrote in news:Hyefs.419$Cn5.228
@kovat.provo.novell.com:

> Any ideas?

Hex editor?
Ontrack?
Old article for commercial tools to try?
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/recovery-tips-and-tools-for-corrupt-
microsoft-office-files/1032049

--
Ciao, Dave

GofBorg
17-Oct-2012, 18:27
Set up a VM with really old versions of stuff on it and try and open them.

Arthur
18-Oct-2012, 17:40
2 suggestions -
1. try restoring from backup on to a PC without antivirus software on it.
2. Shut down the antivirus on the server and on a PC and try opening the
files.



"Stevo" <steveSPAM@LESSccgov.net> wrote in message
news:Hyefs.419$Cn5.228@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> We are running into issues where users' files are becoming inaccessible.
>
> We have had word docs, excel docs, and recently started having issues
> with a couple publisher files.
>
> These files are pretty old, like modified in 2003, and when we try to
> open them in office 2003, 2007, and 2010, we get an error:
>
> Publisher cannot open this file. This file was saved from a previous
> version of Publisher. Publisher no longer supports files that were
> saved in this version.
>
> Around 2003 is when we weren't using office just yet, just a very few
> were.
>
> We've tried opening these in pretty much every software package we can
> think of, all to no avail.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> Stevo

W_ Prindl
22-Oct-2012, 23:47
If that are real office files, that should be no problem. At least Word
(*.doc) and Excel (*.xls) files open correctly even from the first
versions of Word and Excel for Windows (3.1) till Office 2003 and 2007
(2010 not tested) if you install the converters for those formats.

Older versions of Word (for DOS) produced *.txt files and not *.doc
files. Publisher is relatively new it started with Office 2000 or 2003
in Office 97 it was not included. Those files should open easily with
the correct converters, too.

I suspect file corruption or files produced by another application, if
you cannot open them, if you have all converters installed.
--
W. Prindl


Stevo wrote:

>We are running into issues where users' files are becoming
>inaccessible.
>
>We have had word docs, excel docs, and recently started having issues
>with a couple publisher files.
>
>These files are pretty old, like modified in 2003, and when we try to
>open them in office 2003, 2007, and 2010, we get an error:
>
>Publisher cannot open this file. This file was saved from a previous
>version of Publisher. Publisher no longer supports files that were
>saved in this version.
>
>Around 2003 is when we weren't using office just yet, just a very few
>were.
>
>We've tried opening these in pretty much every software package we can
>think of, all to no avail.
>
>Any ideas?