PDA

View Full Version : how to install midnight commander...or anything else

ballswiss
03-Dec-2012, 11:29
Hello you,

thank you for advice and pointing to advice.

Since 3 days I have the opportunity to discover the huge world of linux. I bought an HP 655 laptop with SLED 11 SP 2 preinstalled.
For my problem I was not able to find a solution in: "Suse Gnome User Guide" and "OpenSUSE 11.0 and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Bible"

1) I want to install a "third party?" program "midnight commander" that I downloaded from sourge forge. It has no self-installing routine (of course). And it is no rpm-package (or I can not discover it). The methods for installing described in the above mentioned books do not help, cause I cannot "bring" the tar-file into yast.
In the tar-file there is a text file "install" and I managed to start a ./configure process, but that lead only to a lot of error messages.

Please share your knowledge with me how to install programs, that are not "originally" installed and which are no rpm-package. Or guide me to a useful beginner guide.

2) I need to read a lot. But I found the adobe product very slow. So I found in yast "evince". But I cannot "bring" it to the "preferential application" window (the window that opens when I click on "computer" in the left/down corner).
I found (yes indeed a rather bizarre) way to start it: launch "gnome terminal" and than enter "evince" in the command line. How can I start that program easier...

3) Which epub-reader are available, which would you recommend and how to install the reader.

--------------------------------------
not so important questions -- for ppl with some time and compasion:

4) I use a Pocketbook 622 and I wanted to copy books from the laptop to the ebook-reader. I tried it with two usb-ports. Nothing. Than the support from Pocketbook answered (very fast) that I should try all usb-slots. And the third port (on the left laptop side) worked.
How is that possible. Why do the other slots not work. I changed/installed nothing.

5) With windows I used firefox. When I clicked in the address field, the former adress was marked and it by simple typing the new address, the former address was deleted. Linux firefox has not this behavior. If I click there, the former address is not marked.
Can I change this behavior?

Thank you for advice
an emotional good day wishes
Micca

mikewillis
03-Dec-2012, 13:00
1) I want to install a "third party?" program "midnight commander" that I downloaded from sourge forge. It has no self-installing routine (of course). And it is no rpm-package (or I can not discover it). The methods for installing described in the above mentioned books do not help, cause I cannot "bring" the tar-file into yast.
In the tar-file there is a text file "install" and I managed to start a ./configure process, but that lead only to a lot of error messages.

Midnight Commander is included in SLED. You should be able to simply install it from the repos. As root:

$ zypper in mc
or search for it in YaST > Software > Software Management
If you want to build applications from source you'll need a lot of -devel packages which you can find in the SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 Software Development Kiy (http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=fQKpDcAhPVY) (you only need the Media1 download)

2) I need to read a lot. But I found the adobe product very slow. So I found in yast "evince". But I cannot "bring" it to the "preferential application" window (the window that opens when I click on "computer" in the left/down corner).
I found (yes indeed a rather bizarre) way to start it: launch "gnome terminal" and than enter "evince" in the command line. How can I start that program easier...

If you click on Computer then you'll see a button marked 'More Applications...' Click that and it will open the Application Browser. Find evince there, then right click on it and select 'Add to Favourites'

3) Which epub-reader are available, which would you recommend and how to install the reader.

Can't help you with that, I have no experience of epub readers.

4) I use a Pocketbook 622 and I wanted to copy books from the laptop to the ebook-reader. I tried it with two usb-ports. Nothing. Than the support from Pocketbook answered (very fast) that I should try all usb-slots. And the third port (on the left laptop side) worked.
How is that possible. Why do the other slots not work. I changed/installed nothing.

It could be that the Pocketbook 622 requires more than the 500ma which a standard USB port can supply and there is one port on your machine that supplies more than 500ma to devices which request it. That's just a guess though.

5) With windows I used firefox. When I clicked in the address field, the former adress was marked and it by simple typing the new address, the former address was deleted. Linux firefox has not this behavior. If I click there, the former address is not marked.
Can I change this behavior?

Try double clicking.

ballswiss
03-Dec-2012, 19:59
Hi Mike,

thanks for your explanations. MC is now installed (Yast).

I installed evince and evince-lang with Yast. Although the software manager indicates, that evince and evince-lang are installed, it is not displayed in the application browser...
What must I do to fix that.

tx for help
Micca

/home/bibi/photo/Bildschirmfoto-Software-Manager - YaST.png
/home/bibi/photo/no evince - Application Browser.png

mikewillis
03-Dec-2012, 20:48
I installed evince and evince-lang with Yast. Although the software manager indicates, that evince and evince-lang are installed, it is not displayed in the application browser...
What must I do to fix that.

Sorry, I forgot, Evince does not show in the Application Browser. Years ago, someone decided that Evince should not show up in menus. If you are interested in why read https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=312399
Some people (for (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=574076) example (https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/4775?opened=1214&status[0]=)) think it's the wrong decision, myself included.

I have modified Evince on my own machine so that it does show up in Application Browser. Run this command as root

$ sed -i '/NoDisplay/d' /usr/share/applications/evince.desktop
You may need to re-run that in the future after any updates to the evince package are installed. If Evince still does not show up in the Application Browser run this command

$ killall application-browser

/home/bibi/photo/Bildschirmfoto-Software-Manager - YaST.png
/home/bibi/photo/no evince - Application Browser.png
You need to actually upload the files ;)

ballswiss
03-Dec-2012, 21:26
Hola Mike,

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=312399
I stepped in until comment 10. Interesting how "politics" are developing in all social (even technical ones) contexts...

For a longtime windowian it would be fine to "see" all available (installed and not installed) programs (with good grouping better of course -- "software manager" is not that helpful cause so much programs and "special" naming...), so I can test, browse and discover easily without even knowing beforehand that such wonderful programs exist...(and my guess is, that there are more wonderful and serving programs in linux, than I ever imagined - but will I see/find them???).

But I learned now, that evince I can launch through right click on the file. Thanks for your energy, but I think than I do not need to have it in the start window (or do you recommend it?).

>>You need to actually upload the files.
Guess what. I reckoned with your transcendental clear-sightedness.

Interesting is, that my daughter (8y) in the ultimate time claims, that she has some kind of clairvoyant abilities.
I am very skeptical, but if she proves it...

tx
greetings
Micca

ps: for epub-files I found "calibre". On the website I could copy a command line argument, pasted it in a bash and the program was installed (windows manner, but for a beginner to do a manual installation procedure is not manageable.

ballswiss
03-Dec-2012, 21:44
Hi,

short complement:

if you search "akrobat" or "acrobat" you do not find anything in the software-manager. But know in the world is the reader as acrobat...
The name there is "acrored"...