PDA

View Full Version : XFS with Hardware Raid Configuration

kwhite
03-Apr-2013, 22:04
I'm having a problem discerning through all the web articles old and new. How to install a XFS filesystem using hardware raid: Do I use the default gui in Yast? Do I use XFS command line and if so which switches do I use? Do I need to be concerned with the number of physical drives, stripe, alignment, or mount commands?

Thanks

summitflier
04-Apr-2013, 20:00
Whether the disk is a RAID disk or not really doesn't matter that much. If it's HW RAID then it should pretty much be transparent to the OS.
I would assume the OS to see RAID array as one single disk.

#> fdisk -l
to list all your disks

To create and XFS filesystem. (change /dev/sda1 to whatever disk it is)
#> mkfs.xfs /dev/sda1

From the mkfs.xfs man page.

jmozdzen
04-Apr-2013, 21:43
If it's HW RAID then it should pretty much be transparent to the OS.
I would assume the OS to see RAID array as one single disk.

Basically correct, but XFS has lots of tuning options to take optimum advantage of the hardware. It's especially able to adopt to the physical layout of a RAID system, whether it's hardware or software RAID.

Because I have no own hands-on experience in that area, I cannot judge the actual performance increase possible.

> Do I use the default gui in Yast? Do I use XFS command line and if so which switches do I use?

If you want to just get XFS up&running, you can go the YaST route... but if you're after the last deci-percent of performance, you'll have to take things in your own hands. The man page has descriptions of the various tuning options available and a number of descriptive pages have been put up on the net by people that seem to have dealt with this intensively.

Regards,
Jens

kwhite
08-Apr-2013, 15:15
I just took the defaults when setting up with yast. It didn't create any su or sw but maybe I don't need this HW RD5.