PDA

View Full Version : coretemp.ko where is it?



aldemir a
08-Dec-2011, 10:36
Hello,
I've been looking everywhere for this kernel module to graph my cpu
temperature etc. But seems like it is not present in
kernel-pae-2.6.32.46-0.3.1. I've been searching the internet and
opensuse.org to no avail. The config file uner /boot says it's been
compiled as a module but whereabouts is unknown. Does anybody have an
insight?

Thanks


--
aldemir_a
------------------------------------------------------------------------
aldemir_a's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=107493
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=449318

malcolmlewis
08-Dec-2011, 13:53
On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 09:36:02 GMT
aldemir a <aldemir_a@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>
> Hello,
> I've been looking everywhere for this kernel module to graph my cpu
> temperature etc. But seems like it is not present in
> kernel-pae-2.6.32.46-0.3.1. I've been searching the internet and
> opensuse.org to no avail. The config file uner /boot says it's been
> compiled as a module but whereabouts is unknown. Does anybody have an
> insight?
>
> Thanks
>
>
Hi
What about the output from the command;


acpi -V


--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.37.6-0.9-desktop
up 1 day 23:41, 3 users, load average: 0.13, 0.14, 0.14
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 290.10

aldemir a
08-Dec-2011, 14:56
Thanks for the tip. But I don't think acpi command produces a meaningful
output:

Code:
--------------------

Thermal 1: ok, 8.0 degrees C

--------------------

It is impossible for the server/cpu to be 8 degrees. In fact sensors
command produces this output (SLES people decided to add the sensor
module for this hardware bit but not the cpu), and without coretemp.ko I
can't get the CPU temperature measurement. I'd like to get these values
with snmp and produce nice graphs with cacti.


Code:
--------------------

Adapter: ISA adapter
Ch. 0 DIMM 0: +50.5C (low = +127.5C, high = +127.5C)
Ch. 1 DIMM 0: +52.0C (low = +127.5C, high = +127.5C)
Ch. 2 DIMM 0: +50.5C (low = +127.5C, high = +127.5C)
Ch. 3 DIMM 0: +46.5C (low = +127.5C, high = +127.5C)

--------------------

50 degrees does look more real. Anyway it would be great if the kernel
maintainers put all the extra modules in another rpm, so that we could
download and use. Of course, I could easily compile my own kernel with
the config-2.6.32.46-0.3-pae file but I'd rather novell supplies a
generic solution to a trivial problem.


--
aldemir_a
------------------------------------------------------------------------
aldemir_a's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=107493
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=449318

malcolmlewis
08-Dec-2011, 15:06
On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 13:56:02 GMT
aldemir a <aldemir_a@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>
> Thanks for the tip. But I don't think acpi command produces a
> meaningful output:
>
> Code:
> --------------------
>
> Thermal 1: ok, 8.0 degrees C
>
> --------------------
>
> It is impossible for the server/cpu to be 8 degrees. In fact sensors
> command produces this output (SLES people decided to add the sensor
> module for this hardware bit but not the cpu), and without
> coretemp.ko I can't get the CPU temperature measurement. I'd like to
> get these values with snmp and produce nice graphs with cacti.
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
>
> Adapter: ISA adapter
> Ch. 0 DIMM 0: +50.5°C (low = +127.5°C, high = +127.5°C)
> Ch. 1 DIMM 0: +52.0°C (low = +127.5°C, high = +127.5°C)
> Ch. 2 DIMM 0: +50.5°C (low = +127.5°C, high = +127.5°C)
> Ch. 3 DIMM 0: +46.5°C (low = +127.5°C, high = +127.5°C)
>
> --------------------
>
> 50 degrees does look more real. Anyway it would be great if the kernel
> maintainers put all the extra modules in another rpm, so that we could
> download and use. Of course, I could easily compile my own kernel with
> the config-2.6.32.46-0.3-pae file but I'd rather novell supplies a
> generic solution to a trivial problem.
>
>
Hi
Those are the memory temperatures, what hardware/cpu?

So you have run sensors-detect?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.37.6-0.9-desktop
up 2 days 0:51, 3 users, load average: 0.05, 0.15, 0.14
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 290.10

aldemir a
08-Dec-2011, 15:26
That's the whole point. Without the coretemp.ko module you can't have
the CPU temperatures, and this is not in the kernel package!


--
aldemir_a
------------------------------------------------------------------------
aldemir_a's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=107493
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=449318

malcolmlewis
08-Dec-2011, 15:55
On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 14:26:02 GMT
aldemir a <aldemir_a@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>
> That's the whole point. Without the coretemp.ko module you can't have
> the CPU temperatures, and this is not in the kernel package!
>
>
Hi
I've asked my Novell contacts to see what the underlying reason is,
however I did ask for the hardware/ cpu info, can you provide this?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.37.6-0.9-desktop
up 2 days 1:42, 3 users, load average: 0.12, 0.09, 0.12
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 290.10

aldemir a
08-Dec-2011, 16:56
Of course, this is a HP proliant DL380 G5 server with two quad core Xeon
CPUs. I did run sensors-detect and try to install coretemp.ko and
ipmisensors.ko to no avail. It succeeded installing i5k_amb and ipmi-si
modules. In fact the DIMM temperatures coming from the i5k_amb module.
Thanks,


--
aldemir_a
------------------------------------------------------------------------
aldemir_a's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=107493
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=449318

malcolmlewis
08-Dec-2011, 18:22
On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 15:56:02 GMT
aldemir a <aldemir_a@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>
> Of course, this is a HP proliant DL380 G5 server with two quad core
> Xeon CPUs. I did run sensors-detect and try to install coretemp.ko and
> ipmisensors.ko to no avail. It succeeded installing i5k_amb and
> ipmi-si modules. In fact the DIMM temperatures coming from the
> i5k_amb module. Thanks,
>
>
Hi
Try ipmi_devintf instead of ipmisensors.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.37.6-0.9-desktop
up 2 days 4:09, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.05
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 290.10