PDA

View Full Version : Convert DOMU SLES11.2 Virtual xen kernel to Default Kernel



markcasey
09-Aug-2013, 02:33
Hi

I have a SLES 11.2 xen server with a SLES11.2 (64 Bit) (oes 11) virtual guest system.
The SLES11.2 virtual is para-virtualized running the xen kernel.

I need to change it to use the default kernel in full virtualization mode.

So I install the kernel-default and change the grub settings withing the VM itself - No problem there.
But what do I need to do with the VM machine meta data. Do I just re-create it as a unknown system, or can I change the existing VM config to be fully virtualized rather than para virtualized ?

Thanks in Advance

Mark

KBOYLE
09-Aug-2013, 06:20
markcasey wrote:

Hi Mark,

I'm a bit confused by what you say:
>
> I have a SLES 11.2 xen server with a SLES11.2 (64 Bit) (oes 11)
> virtual guest system.

OES11 is an add-on to SLES11-SP1. If you are telling us that you are
have a single DomU that runs SLES11-SP2 with OES11, then that is an
unsupported configuration.

> The SLES11.2 virtual is para-virtualized running the xen kernel.

Again, what are you trying to say? The Xen kernel runs in Dom0 and
provides the virtual environment or are you saying you have a
SLES11-SP2 para-virtual DomU which wouldn't be running the Xen kernel?

>
> I need to change it to use the default kernel in full virtualization
> mode.

Do you mean you want change SLES11-SP2 para-virtualized DomU to full
virtualization? May I ask why and what is it you are trying to
accomplish?


--
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...

markcasey
09-Aug-2013, 07:05
Hi there
See below

Mark



markcasey wrote:

Hi Mark,

I'm a bit confused by what you say:
>
> I have a SLES 11.2 xen server with a SLES11.2 (64 Bit) (oes 11)
> virtual guest system.

OES11 is an add-on to SLES11-SP1. If you are telling us that you are
have a single DomU that runs SLES11-SP2 with OES11, then that is an
unsupported configuration.
Sorry the exact OES version was not an issue its 11.1 on SLES 11.2.



> The SLES11.2 virtual is para-virtualized running the xen kernel.

Again, what are you trying to say? The Xen kernel runs in Dom0 and
provides the virtual environment or are you saying you have a
SLES11-SP2 para-virtual DomU which wouldn't be running the Xen kernel?

>
> I need to change it to use the default kernel in full virtualization
> mode.

Do you mean you want change SLES11-SP2 para-virtualized DomU to full
virtualization? May I ask why and what is it you are trying to
accomplish?

Yes this is what I want to do, because yet again attachmates products (I used to say Novell's) dont fully support Attachmates products.
NetIQ's Platespin doesn't support SLES 11 in a paravirtualized state.
So I need to get it to a fully virtualized state to support the platespin protect client


Thanks for your help

Mark

--
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...

KBOYLE
09-Aug-2013, 22:12
markcasey wrote:

> > NetIQ's Platespin doesn't support SLES 11 in a paravirtualized
> > state. So I need to get it to a fully virtualized state to support
> > the platespin protect client

Yes, currently Platespin doesn't support SLES 11 in a paravirtualized
state so your options are limited.

Personally, I have not attempted to convert a SLES paravirtual DomU to
full virtualization so let me extend an invitation for anyone else to
jump in with some suggestions.

--
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...

smflood
12-Aug-2013, 11:18
On 09/08/2013 07:14, markcasey wrote:

>> Yes this is what I want to do, because yet again attachmates products
>> (I used to say Novell's) dont fully support Attachmates products.
>> NetIQ's Platespin doesn't support SLES 11 in a paravirtualized state.
>> So I need to get it to a fully virtualized state to support the
>> platespin protect client

Given your mention of "platespin protect" above am I right in thinking
that by your other references to "NetIQ's PlatespiN" you also mean
PlateSpin Protect?

According to section 1.2.2 of the User Guide OES11 SP1 and SP2* are
supported Linux workloads[1] and section 1.1 notes it's "software that
protects physical and virtual workloads"[2]. Where did you originally
get that PlateSpin Protect doesn't support SLES11 in a paravirtualized
state? (Yes I know Kevin appears to confirm that in his reply)

HTH.

*Since OES11 SP2 hasn't even made closed beta I think NetIQ mean OES11
and OES11 SP1 - feedback submitted

[1]
https://www.netiq.com/documentation/platespin_protect_10/user/data/bo8c80r.html#b11ogj8o
[2]
https://www.netiq.com/documentation/platespin_protect_10/user/data/bomab88.html
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with SUSE technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Technology Transfer
Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

markcasey
13-Aug-2013, 00:26
When we try to establish a protect contract it says it cant support the paravirtualized server, when we discussed it with NetIQ they confirmed its not supported for SLES 11. (Works perfrctly on SLES 10. And recommended we put in an enhancement request.

Mark


On 09/08/2013 07:14, markcasey wrote:

>> Yes this is what I want to do, because yet again attachmates products
>> (I used to say Novell's) dont fully support Attachmates products.
>> NetIQ's Platespin doesn't support SLES 11 in a paravirtualized state.
>> So I need to get it to a fully virtualized state to support the
>> platespin protect client

Given your mention of "platespin protect" above am I right in thinking
that by your other references to "NetIQ's PlatespiN" you also mean
PlateSpin Protect?

According to section 1.2.2 of the User Guide OES11 SP1 and SP2* are
supported Linux workloads[1] and section 1.1 notes it's "software that
protects physical and virtual workloads"[2]. Where did you originally
get that PlateSpin Protect doesn't support SLES11 in a paravirtualized
state? (Yes I know Kevin appears to confirm that in his reply)

HTH.

*Since OES11 SP2 hasn't even made closed beta I think NetIQ mean OES11
and OES11 SP1 - feedback submitted

[1]
https://www.netiq.com/documentation/platespin_protect_10/user/data/bo8c80r.html#b11ogj8o
[2]
https://www.netiq.com/documentation/platespin_protect_10/user/data/bomab88.html
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with SUSE technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Technology Transfer
Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

smflood
15-Aug-2013, 11:50
On 13/08/2013 00:34, markcasey wrote:

> When we try to establish a protect contract it says it cant support the
> paravirtualized server, when we discussed it with NetIQ they confirmed
> its not supported for SLES 11. (Works perfrctly on SLES 10. And
> recommended we put in an enhancement request.

Hmm interesting. I'll follow this up with my contacts.

Thanks.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with SUSE technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Technology Transfer
Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------