PDA

View Full Version : SLES 11 SP2 : Way to copy boot disk to another hard drive?

skunkboy
27-Aug-2013, 21:52
I figured out how to rebuild / from reiserfs to ext3 on the same partition, using another disk as temporary space. What I was wondering is if anyone knew the steps, or could give hints, as to how to move from say from a small drive to a larger drive without having to do a new install? My issue seems to be getting grub to recognize the new drive after I copy the files over to the new drive partitions.

Thanks,
Matt

jmozdzen
27-Aug-2013, 22:59
Hi Matt,

I figured out how to rebuild / from reiserfs to ext3 on the same partition, using another disk as temporary space. What I was wondering is if anyone knew the steps, or could give hints, as to how to move from say from a small drive to a larger drive without having to do a new install? My issue seems to be getting grub to recognize the new drive after I copy the files over to the new drive partitions.

Thanks,
Matt

do you intend to leave the original drive in the system, too? Or will the new drive replace the old drive?

Generally, you should not only have a look at your boot manager, but at /etc/fstab as well.

If the new drive is the only drive in the system, running "grub-install" via a recovery system (i.e. booted from DVD) should fix things if /etc/grub.conf still matches the actual configuration.

Regards,
Jens