PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Driver for SLED 11 SP3 issue



ilfretz
01-Sep-2013, 02:19
I have a HP 5101Mini, which has always had Linux as the operating system.

I upgraded from from SP2 to SP3 and all went well. However, I cannot get the wireless option to work. I did not have this issue when the OS was SP2.

I ran the command uname -r and it tells me that the kernel is 3.0.82.0.7-pae. I went to the HP site > Linux > HP 5101Mini > wireless driver and it is only for kernel version 2.x.x.

Does anyone have an idea on how to get wireless back?

Regards,

Luis

malcolmlewis
01-Sep-2013, 02:41
Hi
You need to provide the info on the wireless device, eg;


/sbin/lspci -nnk |grep Net -A2

It may just be firmware if it worked in SP2, this can be found out by looking at the output from dmesg.....

Is the package kernel-firmware installed? As root user run;


zypper se -i kernel-firmware

If not it may need installing if the dmesg output indicates missing firmware.

ilfretz
04-Sep-2013, 00:34
Hello Malcom

I have typed in the command # /sbin/lspci -nnk |grep Net -A2

I terminal echoed back, 08:00 Network Controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM 43224 802.11a/b/g/n rev 01

and 20:00 Ethernet Controller: Marvell Technology Group LTD 88E 8072 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller rev 10

I see that the wireless network card is in place. However, when I typed in the command # zypper se -i kernel-firmware

all I got was bash: zapper: command not found. Any ideas on this?

ilfretz
04-Sep-2013, 00:52
Hi Malcom

If you read my post you will see that I ran the command improperly. I ran the command again but this time it was # zypper se -i kernel-firmware and came back as Loading repository data..... Reading installed packages..... kernel-firware|Linux Kernel firware files| package.

I think this kernel firware is already installed.

malcolmlewis
04-Sep-2013, 01:25
On Tue 03 Sep 2013 11:54:03 PM CDT, ilfretz wrote:


Hi Malcom

If you read my post you will see that I ran the command improperly. I
ran the command again but this time it was # zypper se -i
kernel-firmware and came back as Loading repository data..... Reading
installed packages..... kernel-firware|Linux Kernel firware files|
package.

I think this kernel firware is already installed.




Hi
I have a DELL with the same bread of card and it uses the wl driver;


lspci -nnk |grep Net -A2

0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4353] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1520 Half-size Mini PCIe Card [1028:000e]
Kernel driver in use: wl

Can you confirm the PCI ID eg in my case [14e4:4353], I had to rebuild
the broadcom-wl src rpm from the packman repo for mine to work. AFAIK,
HP provided a driver, hence probably why it worked in SP2?

Do you know how to rebuild a src rpm and the location of the packman
repositories?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) GNOME 3.8.4 Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...

ilfretz
04-Sep-2013, 01:29
Hi Malcolm

I found this information in http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43. Although it is not SLED 11 sp3

I ran the command # lspci -vnn

PCI-ID Supported? Chip ID Modes PHY version Alternative
14e4:4353 yes (3.1+) BCM43224 a/b/g/n N (r6) wl/brcm80211

openSUSE 11.3 and above includes a utility that will automatically download the firmware and install it into its proper location. With working Internet access, run the following commands:

Toggle line numbers

1 sudo zypper install b43-fwcutter
2 sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware

What do you think?

malcolmlewis
04-Sep-2013, 02:38
On Wed 04 Sep 2013 12:34:02 AM CDT, ilfretz wrote:


Hi Malcolm

I found this information in
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43. Although it is not
SLED 11 sp3

I ran the command # lspci -vnn

PCI-ID Supported? Chip ID Modes PHY version Alternative

14e4:4353 yes (3.1+) BCM43224 a/b/g/n N (r6) wl/brcm80211


openSUSE 11.3 and above includes a utility that will automatically
download the firmware and install it into its proper location. With
working Internet access, run the following commands:

Toggle line numbers

1 sudo zypper install b43-fwcutter
2 sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware

What do you think?




Hi
Yes, that should work, if not we can install the wl package from
packman.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) GNOME 3.8.4 Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...

ilfretz
05-Sep-2013, 23:49
Hi Malcolm

I ran the command # lspci -vnn

Output:
08:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4353] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company WMIB-275N Half-size Mini PCIe Card [103c:1509]
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at e8000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information: Len=78 <?>
Capabilities: [48] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [13c] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 00-00-82-ff-ff-38-00-26
Capabilities: [16c] Power Budgeting <?>
Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
Kernel modules: bcma

I also ran the command # lspci -nnk | grep Net -A2

Output

08:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4353] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company WMIB-275N Half-size Mini PCIe Card [103c:1509]
Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge

I have verified that my PCI-ID is 14e4:4353

Finally, to answer your questions 1: I do not know how to rebuild a srm rpm and 2: I do not know the location of the packman repositories

ilfretz
06-Sep-2013, 00:05
Hi Malcolm

I wanted to try installing the firmware under the OpenSuse 11.3 information and got this output

# sudo zypper install b43-fwcutter
Refreshing service 'nu_novell_com'.
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
'b43-fwcutter' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
No provider of 'b43-fwcutter' found.
Resolving package dependencies..

malcolmlewis
06-Sep-2013, 00:24
On Thu 05 Sep 2013 10:54:03 PM CDT, ilfretz wrote:


Hi Malcolm

I ran the command # lspci -vnn

Output:
08:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43224
802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4353] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company WMIB-275N Half-size Mini
PCIe Card [103c:1509]
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at e8000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information: Len=78 <?>
Capabilities: [48] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [13c] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 00-00-82-ff-ff-38-00-26
Capabilities: [16c] Power Budgeting <?>
Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
Kernel modules: bcma

I also ran the command # lspci -nnk | grep Net -A2

Output

08:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43224
802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4353] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company WMIB-275N Half-size Mini
PCIe Card [103c:1509]
Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge

I have verified that my PCI-ID is 14e4:4353

Finally, to answer your questions 1: I do not know how to rebuild a srm
rpm and 2: I do not know the location of the packman repositories




Hi
Grab the src rpm from here;
http://packman.mirrors.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/SLE_11/Essentials/src/broadcom-wl-5.100.82.112-11.1.src.rpm

Then as root user install;


su -
zypper in make gcc kernel-source kernel-syms kernel-default-devel
exit

Now as your user rebuild the src rpm;


rpmbuild --rebuild broadcom-wl-5.100.82.112-11.1.src.rpm

Now it will build and give you the location of the rpm files you need
two, the broadcom-wl-5.100.82.112-12.1.<your_arch>.rpm and
broadcom-wl-kmp-default-5.100.82.112_<kernel>.<your_arch>.rpm
where your_arch is x86 or x86_64 and the kernel is the kernel release.

So switch to root user and cd to the location of the files and use
zypper to install, for example on my system it would be.


zypper in broadcom-wl-5.100.82.112-12.1.x86_64.rpm
broadcom-wl-kmp-default-5.100.82.112_3.0.82_0.7-12.1.x86_64.rpm

The first rpm installs some scripts and also black lists the bcma
modules, the second is the driver. Reboot your system and you should be
good to go.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) GNOME 3.8.4 Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...

ilfretz
21-Sep-2013, 23:41
Hi Malcolm

It has been awhile that I have not posted anything about my HP Mini 5101 wireless issue. Any new ideas on how to get wireless option on my 5101?

malcolmlewis
22-Sep-2013, 00:16
On Sat 21 Sep 2013 10:44:03 PM CDT, ilfretz wrote:


Hi Malcolm

It has been awhile that I have not posted anything about my HP Mini 5101
wireless issue. Any new ideas on how to get wireless option on my 5101?




Hi
So the previous post (#10) didn't help with rebuilding the src rpm?

There is a kernel update, so suggest you update the system first via
ethernet?


zypper ref
zypper up


--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) GNOME 3.8.4 Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

ilfretz
27-Sep-2013, 01:36
Hello Malcolm

Good point on always connect laptop via Ethernet. This is one of my best practice when updating any system.

You have mentioned running the commands # zypper ref , when repository becomes out of date and # zypper up, to update packages with newer versions

I just installed a fresh copy of SLED 11SP3 from DVD and updated the system. Is this not the same if I run zypper up then zypper ref?

Finally, as for "So the previous post (#10) didn't help with rebuilding the src rpm?". I have not done this step yet because am waiting for another way of adding wifi if possible.

jmozdzen
30-Sep-2013, 18:11
Hi ilfretz,

let me jump in here:

> [...] and updated the system. Is this not the same if I run zypper up then zypper ref?

You're right, it is.

Regards,
Jens

malcolmlewis
30-Sep-2013, 20:37
On Fri 27 Sep 2013 12:44:02 AM CDT, ilfretz wrote:


Hello Malcolm

Good point on always connect laptop via Ethernet. This is one of my
best practice when updating any system.

You have mentioned running the commands # zypper ref , when repository
becomes out of date and # zypper up, to update packages with newer
versions

I just installed a fresh copy of SLED 11SP3 from DVD and updated the
system. Is this not the same if I run zypper up then zypper ref?

Finally, as for "So the previous post (#10) didn't help with rebuilding
the src rpm?". I have not done this step yet because am waiting for
another way of adding wifi if possible.




Hi
No other way than using the broadcom-wl package... :(

If you go through the steps to rebuild the src rpm, then post the output
(in code tags) of the final say 15 lines I can explain the rest...

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) GNOME 3.8.4 Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!