PDA

View Full Version : HP SMART ARRAY P212 CONTROLLER - SLES 11 SP1



ccilleperuma
14-Sep-2011, 07:26
Hi,

I have a HP DL 585 server wich has* LTO 4 tape *drive installed. It
shows the HBA controller in hardware level. But after *SLES 11
*installed it was not showing (checked with Yast hardware information
and /proc/scsi/scsi), which shows only the DVD and SAN. So I manually
added it using the information within this forum
(http://forums.novell.com/forums/suse/suse-product-discussion-forums/suse-linux-enterprise/suse-linux-enterprise-server-sles/sles-hardware/412665-hp-smartarray-p212-controller-sles11sp1-post1984531.html)
Download and unpack prm:
# -rpm2cpio cpq_cciss-4.6.22-6.sles11.x86_64.rpm | cpio -idmv
--no-absolute-filenames
# cd opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install-

Install startup scripts manually:
-# cp -f ./cciss_hotplug /sbin/cciss_hotplug
# cp -f ./cciss_phys_devs /sbin/cciss_phys_devs
# cp -f ./cciss_scsi /etc/init.d/cciss_scsi
# mkdir -p /usr/share/man/man8/
# cp -f ./cciss_*8.gz /usr/share/man/man8/
# chown root:root /sbin/cciss_hotplug
# chmod 755 /sbin/cciss_hotplug
# chown root:root /etc/init.d/cciss_scsi
# chmod 755 /etc/init.d/cciss_scsi
# chkconfig --add cciss_scsi-

Now reboot or start script manually:
-# /etc/init.d/cciss_scsi start -

Then it was working fine till we make it the new SAP production server
which may caused some file replacements from old production server to
this server. ( I have troubleshooted few issues successfully because of
this)

How ever as again the HBA card/array controller is not showing there
and I tried with the same.
It gives following error now.

Directory: /root/Desktop
Wed Sep 14 11:09:10 IST 2011
sapprdsvr:~/Desktop # rpm2cpio cpq_cciss-4.6.22-6.sles11.x86_64.rpm |
cpio -idmv --no-absolute-filenames
./opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11.tar.gz
481 blocks
sapprdsvr:~/Desktop # cd
opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install
bash: cd: opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install: No
such file or directory
sapprdsvr:~/Desktop # cd
opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install
sapprdsvr:~/Desktop/opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install
# cp -f ./cciss_hotplug /sbin/cciss_hotplug
sapprdsvr:~/Desktop/opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install
# cp -f ./cciss_phys_devs /sbin/cciss_phys_devs
sapprdsvr:~/Desktop/opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install
# cp -f ./cciss_scsi /etc/i
icewm/ idn.conf inittab iproute2/ issue.net
idmapd.conf ifplugd/ inputrc iscsi/ ivman/
idnalias.conf init.d/ insserv.conf issue
sapprdsvr:~/Desktop/opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install
# cp -f ./cciss_scsi /etc/init.d/cciss_scsi
sapprdsvr:~/Desktop/opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install
# cp -f ./cciss_*8.gz /usr/share/man/man8
sapprdsvr:~/Desktop/opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install
# chown root:root /etc/init.d/cciss_scsi
sapprdsvr:~/Desktop/opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install
# chkconfig --add cciss_scsi
INSSERV: WARNING: SCRIPT 'S01CCISS_SCSI' MISSING LSB TAGS AND
OVERRIDES
INSSERV: WARNING: SCRIPT 'CCISS_SCSI' MISSING LSB TAGS AND OVERRIDES
cciss_scsi 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:on 4:off 5:on
6:off

Please help me to overcome this issue

Regards,

C. C. Illeperuma


--
ccilleperuma
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ccilleperuma's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=97239
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=444664

malcolmlewis
14-Sep-2011, 12:53
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 06:26:02 GMT
ccilleperuma <ccilleperuma@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> I have a HP DL 585 server wich has* LTO 4 tape *drive installed. It
> shows the HBA controller in hardware level. But after *SLES 11
> *installed it was not showing (checked with Yast hardware information
> and /proc/scsi/scsi), which shows only the DVD and SAN. So I manually
> added it using the information within this forum
> (http://forums.novell.com/forums/suse/suse-product-discussion-forums/suse-linux-enterprise/suse-linux-enterprise-server-sles/sles-hardware/412665-hp-smartarray-p212-controller-sles11sp1-post1984531.html)
> Download and unpack prm:
> # -rpm2cpio cpq_cciss-4.6.22-6.sles11.x86_64.rpm | cpio -idmv
> --no-absolute-filenames
> # cd opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install-
>
> “Install” startup scripts manually:
> -# cp -f ./cciss_hotplug /sbin/cciss_hotplug
> # cp -f ./cciss_phys_devs /sbin/cciss_phys_devs
> # cp -f ./cciss_scsi /etc/init.d/cciss_scsi
> # mkdir -p /usr/share/man/man8/
> # cp -f ./cciss_*8.gz /usr/share/man/man8/
> # chown root:root /sbin/cciss_hotplug
> # chmod 755 /sbin/cciss_hotplug
> # chown root:root /etc/init.d/cciss_scsi
> # chmod 755 /etc/init.d/cciss_scsi
> # chkconfig --add cciss_scsi-
>
> Now reboot or start script manually:
> -# /etc/init.d/cciss_scsi start -
>
> Then it was working fine till we make it the new SAP production server
> which may caused some file replacements from old production server to
> this server. ( I have troubleshooted few issues successfully because
> of this)
>
> How ever as again the HBA card/array controller is not showing there
> and I tried with the same.
> It gives following error now.
>
> Directory: /root/Desktop
> Wed Sep 14 11:09:10 IST 2011
> sapprdsvr:~/Desktop # rpm2cpio cpq_cciss-4.6.22-6.sles11.x86_64.rpm |
> cpio -idmv --no-absolute-filenames
> /opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11.tar.gz
> 481 blocks
> sapprdsvr:~/Desktop # cd
> opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install
> bash: cd: opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install: No
> such file or directory
> sapprdsvr:~/Desktop # cd
> opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install
> sapprdsvr:~/Desktop/opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install
> # cp -f ./cciss_hotplug /sbin/cciss_hotplug
> sapprdsvr:~/Desktop/opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install
> # cp -f ./cciss_phys_devs /sbin/cciss_phys_devs
> sapprdsvr:~/Desktop/opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install
> # cp -f ./cciss_scsi /etc/i
> icewm/ idn.conf inittab iproute2/ issue.net
> idmapd.conf ifplugd/ inputrc iscsi/ ivman/
> idnalias.conf init.d/ insserv.conf issue
> sapprdsvr:~/Desktop/opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install
> # cp -f ./cciss_scsi /etc/init.d/cciss_scsi
> sapprdsvr:~/Desktop/opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install
> # cp -f ./cciss_*8.gz /usr/share/man/man8
> sapprdsvr:~/Desktop/opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install
> # chown root:root /etc/init.d/cciss_scsi
> sapprdsvr:~/Desktop/opt/hp/storage_drivers/cciss-4.6.22_2009_12_11/install
> # chkconfig --add cciss_scsi
> INSSERV: WARNING: SCRIPT 'S01CCISS_SCSI' MISSING LSB TAGS AND
> OVERRIDES
> INSSERV: WARNING: SCRIPT 'CCISS_SCSI' MISSING LSB TAGS AND OVERRIDES
> cciss_scsi 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:on 4:off 5:on
> 6:off
>
> Please help me to overcome this issue
>
> Regards,
>
> C. C. Illeperuma
>
>
Hi
The 'WARNINGS'? have you tried starting the service?


/etc/init.d/cciss_scsi start


PS, if you post text output use the code tags ;)

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.37.6-0.7-desktop
up 1 day 14:53, 6 users, load average: 0.03, 0.06, 0.05
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 280.13

ccilleperuma
15-Sep-2011, 05:26
Hi Malcom,

Thanks for your help. I tried the command but it also giving a
warning.

> sapprdsvr:~ # /etc/init.d/cciss_scsi start
> sapprdsvr:~ # cciss_hotplug: The format of /proc/scsi/scsi is not as
> expected.
> cciss_hotplug: Will not remove any devices, as accidentally removing a
> disk would be bad.

But I just checked the devices and now it shows *tape, st0 *and* nst0*.
So I tried taking a backup and re-store the same.
But I'm afraid that I may need to do this repeatedly after every reboot
of the server. It's a production server with 100+ users online 24 hrs.
So, hard to test it as needed.
Also when I use the command -tar -cfz /dev/st0 tape_test-, it gives
following warning
TAR: REMOVING LEADING `/' FROM MEMBER NAMES

PS: Please tell me how to use code tags :)

Regards,

C. C. Illeperuma


--
ccilleperuma
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ccilleperuma's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=97239
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=444664

malcolmlewis
15-Sep-2011, 05:56
ccilleperuma;2137602 Wrote:
> Hi Malcom,
>
> Thanks for your help. I tried the command but it also giving a
> warning.
>
>
>
> But I just checked the devices and now it shows *tape, st0 *and* nst0*.
> So I tried taking a backup and re-store the same.
> But I'm afraid that I may need to do this repeatedly after every reboot
> of the server. It's a production server with 100+ users online 24 hrs.
> So, hard to test it as needed.
> Also when I use the command -tar -cfz /dev/st0 tape_test-, it gives
> following warning
> TAR: REMOVING LEADING `/' FROM MEMBER NAMES
>
> PS: Please tell me how to use code tags :)
>
> Regards,
>
> C. C. Illeperuma

Hi
Just used the 'Go Advanced' button on the bottom right when you select
a reply, then select as indicated in 'Advanced edit options'
(http://paste.opensuse.org/84859178)

Do you see the device appear in the output of dmesg;

Code:
--------------------

dmesg |grep TAPE

--------------------


--
Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
Novell Knowledge Partner and openSUSE Global Moderator
ASUS eeePC 1000HE GPU Mobile 945 - Gnome openSUSE 11.3 (i586)
Desktop AMD X2 4400+ GPU 8600 - Gnome SLED 11 SP1 (x86_64)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
malcolmlewis's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=32860
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=444664

ccilleperuma
15-Sep-2011, 13:36
Yes I can see it: [315303.890438] st 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi tape st0


--
ccilleperuma
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ccilleperuma's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=97239
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=444664

ccilleperuma
20-Sep-2011, 06:26
Malcom,

Now My tape device shows up in the system. Thank you very much for the
support given.

C. C. Illeperuma


--
ccilleperuma
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ccilleperuma's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=97239
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=444664