PDA

View Full Version : SuSe Enterprise Server 11 will not load to the desktop



erickabarnes
28-Mar-2014, 19:25
So, I am pretty new to the Linux environment in general. I have a dual boot Win7 and openSUSE 13.1 on my laptop. At school, I do computational research and we use a Dell Server with SuSE Enterprise 11. I was trying to install LibreOffice and I had a lot of issues which I won't get into here. I went into YaST and tried to delete the files I installed and then I rebooted the machine. After hitting "shutdown":


The computer screen went blank and just the mouse was displaying, so I hit the power button and sent a kill signal. The computer then shut down like normal (displayed the usual text on the shutdown procedure).
Upon restart it loaded up normally as far as I can tell and it just went to command prompt. Also, a little script I wrote is no longer accepted? bash: export: '/../../../..(there's no reason to write the path)/gdv.profile': not a valid identifier. (This script allows new users to run the computational software installed on the server).

Things I tried:

command: startx - this would load up a screen where just the mouse is on the screen and the rest is blank
I went into /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and added the line:
Code:
exec gnome-session
in the middle of the file. This made it even worse!

Then, I backed up xorg.conf as xorg_backup.conf and deleted the original file and reset the machine. Didn't work. I restored the original file.

Here is another thing. In my Xorg.0.log shows WW warnings for a bunch of "fonts" files. Maybe this has to do with those files I deleted after trying to uninstall my failed LibreOffice attempt. Maybe some of these font files are system required?

The computer still works as I am running calculations on it. But my professor and I would really like to have the desktop environment back so we can run spreadsheets and have a web browser.

By the way: trying to run firefox from the command gives a no display error.

Note: everything still works and the computational software package works fine (we run it from the shell anyway) - but we need the GUI environment for other tasks. Thank you.

malcolmlewis
28-Mar-2014, 19:42
On Fri 28 Mar 2014 06:34:01 PM CDT, erickabarnes wrote:


So, I am pretty new to the Linux environment in general. I have a dual
boot Win7 and openSUSE 13.1 on my laptop. At school, I do computational
research and we use a Dell Server with SuSE Enterprise 11. I was trying
to install LibreOffice and I had a lot of issues which I won't get into
here. I went into YaST and tried to delete the files I installed and
then I rebooted the machine. After hitting "shutdown":


The computer screen went blank and just the mouse was displaying, so I
hit the power button and sent a kill signal. The computer then shut down
like normal (displayed the usual text on the shutdown procedure).
Upon restart it loaded up normally as far as I can tell and it just went
to command prompt. Also, a little script I wrote is no longer accepted?
bash: export: '/../../../..(there's no reason to write the
path)/gdv.profile': not a valid identifier. (This script allows new
users to run the computational software installed on the server).

Things I tried:

command: startx - this would load up a screen where just the mouse is on
the screen and the rest is blank
I went into /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and added the line:
Code:
exec gnome-session
in the middle of the file. This made it even worse!

Then, I backed up xorg.conf as xorg_backup.conf and deleted the original
file and reset the machine. Didn't work. I restored the original file.

Here is another thing. In my Xorg.0.log shows WW warnings for a bunch of
"fonts" files. Maybe this has to do with those files I deleted after
trying to uninstall my failed LibreOffice attempt. Maybe some of these
font files are system required?

The computer still works as I am running calculations on it. But my
professor and I would really like to have the desktop environment back
so we can run spreadsheets and have a web browser.

By the way: trying to run firefox from the command gives a no display
error.

Note: everything still works and the computational software package
works fine (we run it from the shell anyway) - but we need the GUI
environment for other tasks. Thank you.




Hi
This is the SLED one not SLES ;) What version of SLES, can you post the
output from to following two commands;


cat /etc/SuSE-release

hwinfo --gfxcard


--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

erickabarnes
28-Mar-2014, 19:57
Malcolm,

I'm currently running a Dell hardware diagnostic. Once it is done, I will post a reply. thank you.

p.s. The openSUSE form already yelled at me about this and directed me here. :-p

erickabarnes
28-Mar-2014, 21:06
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64)
VERSION = 11
PATCHLEVEL = 1


GFXCARD:

35: PCI 603.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
[Created at pci.318]
UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_102b_532
Unique ID: 7p19.GQCSMqQrnoB
Parent ID: 6NW+.two+GgbUMg7
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:06:03.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:06:03.0
Hardware Class: graphics card
Model: "Matrox G200 eW"
Vendor: pci 0x102b "Matrox Graphics, Inc."
Device: pci 0x0532 "G200 eW"
SubVendor: pci 0x1028 "Dell"
SubDevice: pci 0x029b
Revision: 0x0a
Memory Range: 0xd3000000-0xd37fffff (rw,prefetchable)
Memory Range: 0xdc7fc000-0xdc7fffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
Memory Range: 0xdc800000-0xdcffffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
Memory Range: 0xdc000000-0xdc00ffff (ro,prefetchable,disabled)
IRQ: 10 (no events)
I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
Module Alias: "pci:v0000102Bd00000532sv00001028sd0000029Bbc03sc00 i00"
Driver Info #0:
XFree86 v4 Server Module: mga
Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #25 (PCI bridge)

Primary display adapter: #35

malcolmlewis
28-Mar-2014, 21:27
On Fri 28 Mar 2014 08:14:01 PM CDT, erickabarnes wrote:


SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64)
VERSION = 11
PATCHLEVEL = 1


GFXCARD:
> 35: PCI 603.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
> [Created at pci.318]
> UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_102b_532
> Unique ID: 7p19.GQCSMqQrnoB
> Parent ID: 6NW+.two+GgbUMg7
> SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:06:03.0
> SysFS BusID: 0000:06:03.0
> Hardware Class: graphics card
> Model: "Matrox G200 eW"
> Vendor: pci 0x102b "Matrox Graphics, Inc."
> Device: pci 0x0532 "G200 eW"
> SubVendor: pci 0x1028 "Dell"
> SubDevice: pci 0x029b
> Revision: 0x0a
> Memory Range: 0xd3000000-0xd37fffff (rw,prefetchable)
> Memory Range: 0xdc7fc000-0xdc7fffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
> Memory Range: 0xdc800000-0xdcffffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
> Memory Range: 0xdc000000-0xdc00ffff (ro,prefetchable,disabled)
> IRQ: 10 (no events)
> I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
> Module Alias: "pci:v0000102Bd00000532sv00001028sd0000029Bbc03sc00 i00"
> Driver Info #0:
> XFree86 v4 Server Module: mga
> Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
> Attached to: #25 (PCI bridge)
>
> Primary display adapter: #35
>
>
>




Hi
OK, lets re-create your xorg file;


su -
init 3
sax2 -r -m 0=mga
exit && init 5

Configure the display via sax2, save and exit.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

erickabarnes
31-Mar-2014, 14:19
OK. I just did that. So, that's next?

malcolmlewis
31-Mar-2014, 14:45
On Mon 31 Mar 2014 01:24:01 PM CDT, erickabarnes wrote:


OK. I just did that. So, that's next?




Hi
So you made it back to runlevel 5 and still no desktop?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

erickabarnes
31-Mar-2014, 15:14
Nope.

Do I have to restart to make changes? I tried startx and nothing.

erickabarnes
31-Mar-2014, 15:17
I just typed in init 5 as su and got this error message: Failed service in runlevel 5: xdm

It also gives a segmentation fault in usr/sbin/gdm

malcolmlewis
31-Mar-2014, 15:47
On Mon 31 Mar 2014 02:24:02 PM CDT, erickabarnes wrote:


I just typed in init 5 as su and got this error message: Failed service
in runlevel 5: xdm

It also gives a segmentation fault in usr/sbin/gdm




Hi
Can you try the following command as root user;


rcxdm restart

Else if you can restart that may help.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

erickabarnes
31-Mar-2014, 16:10
I just entered that command and I got this as an output:

Shutting down services gdm done
Starting services gdmstartproc: signa catched /usr/sbin/gdm: Segmentation fault failed

Then I hit the power button to send a kill signal. Upon restart, nothing. I'm back in the shell.

malcolmlewis
31-Mar-2014, 16:25
On Mon 31 Mar 2014 03:14:02 PM CDT, erickabarnes wrote:


I just entered that command and I got this as an output:

Shutting down services gdm done
Starting services gdmstartproc: signa catched /usr/sbin/gdm:
Segmentation fault failed

Then I hit the power button to send a kill signal. Upon restart,
nothing. I'm back in the shell.




Hi
OK, if you login as your user and check the runlevel are you at 3 or 5?


/sbin/runlevel

As you user can you check the file .xsession-errors (note the period at
the beginning)

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

erickabarnes
31-Mar-2014, 16:54
Here you go:


hostname: Host name lookup failure
xauth: creating new authority file /home/mark/.serverauth.13265


X.Org X Server 1.6.5
Release Date: 2009-10-11
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: openSUSE SUSE LINUX
Current Operating System: Linux linux 2.6.32.12-0.7-default #1 SMP 2010-05-20 11:14:20 +0200 x86_64
Build Date: 09 May 2010 12:50:35PM

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Mar 31 11:16:30 2014
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) Failed to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) MGA(0): [drm] Direct rendering only supported with G200/G400/G450/G550.
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
/etc/X11/xim: Checking whether an input method should be started.
/etc/X11/xim: user environment variable LANG=en_US.UTF-8
sourcing /etc/sysconfig/language to get the value of INPUT_METHOD
INPUT_METHOD is not set or empty (no user selected input method).
Trying to start a default input method for the locale en_US.UTF-8 ...
There is no default input method for the current locale.
Dummy input method "none" (do not use any fancy input method by default)
GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET=/tmp/keyring-3KTbtF/socket
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-3KTbtF/socket.ssh
GNOME_KEYRING_PID=13325
/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/gio/modules/libdconfsettings.so: undefined symbol: g_settings_backend_get_type
Window manager warning: Failed to read saved session file /home/mark/.config/metacity/sessions/105cba5d4815dbefc7139628259337186800000132960015.m s: Failed to open file '/home/mark/.config/metacity/sessions/105cba5d4815dbefc7139628259337186800000132960015.m s': No such file or directory
gnome-panel: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/gio/modules/libdconfsettings.so: undefined symbol: g_settings_backend_get_type
nautilus: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/gio/modules/libdconfsettings.so: undefined symbol: g_settings_backend_get_type
Exit: gpk_check_privileged_user returned FALSE
gnome-volume-control-applet: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/gio/modules/libdconfsettings.so: undefined symbol: g_settings_backend_get_type

malcolmlewis
31-Mar-2014, 23:55
Hi
OK, so can you create a test user and see if you get the same sort of errors in the .xsession-errors file.

jmozdzen
08-Apr-2014, 10:19
Hi folks,

> It also gives a segmentation fault in usr/sbin/gdm

If I'm not completely off-track, gdm is the Gnome display manager, running independently from user settings (it's the process "driving" the X servers and eventually starting some login widget). As that is already crashing with a segmentation violation, something more general seems to be broken.

In order to rule out broken files (i.e. by some partial hard disk failure), I recommend to run

# rpm -Va
to test the integrity of all installed RPMs. There of course will be differences reported - i.e. configuration files. But if some lib or other "binary" is reported as modified, please run a forced reinstall of the corresponding RPM.

Regards,
Jens