PDA

View Full Version : Different Kernel versions how many should I have?



mminnaples
24-Apr-2014, 17:50
Hi All,

I am new to Linux I bought a server with SLES 11 on it I was trying to install Vmware on it and ran into missing Kernel Header files as I am sure everyone has, after getting very frustrated I put on a higher level Kernel the default was 2.6.27.19 now it is at 2.6.27.54 but when checking rmp -qa kernel* I see a bunch of different kernels
kernel-default-2.6.27.54-0.2.1
kernel-source-debuginfo-2.6.27.54-0.2.1
kernel-xen-base-2.6.27.54-0.2.1
kernel-source-2.6.27.54-0.2.1
kernel-syms-2.6.27.54-0.2.1
kernel-default-base-2.6.27.54-0.2.1
Does anyone know which ones I should have and if there are some that I dont need and how do I remove them what are reprecutions? Sorry for asking such a low level question still cannot get this vmware installed been working with them for weeks now.

Thanks
Mike

ab
24-Apr-2014, 19:34
On 04/24/2014 10:54 AM, mminnaples wrote:
>
> I am new to Linux I bought a server with SLES 11 on it I was trying to
> install Vmware on it and ran into missing Kernel Header files as I am
> sure everyone has, after getting very frustrated I put on a higher level
> Kernel the default was 2.6.27.19 now it is at 2.6.27.54 but when
> checking rmp -qa kernel* I see a bunch of different kernels
> kernel-default-2.6.27.54-0.2.1

A kernel

> kernel-source-debuginfo-2.6.27.54-0.2.1

Debug info for the kernel. Probably not necessary, but its not a problem.

> kernel-xen-base-2.6.27.54-0.2.1

The Xen kernel base stuff. Not necessary unless you are using Xen
virtualization, I'm pretty sure.

> kernel-source-2.6.27.54-0.2.1

The actual kernel sources. Probably not necessary unless you're building
the VMware tools from source, but I thought that was pretty rare anymore
thanks to the availability of header RPMs in SLES.

> kernel-syms-2.6.27.54-0.2.1

Symbols I think. Same as above.

> kernel-default-base-2.6.27.54-0.2.1

Some base stuff, perhaps drivers, for the kernel.

> Does anyone know which ones I should have and if there are some that I
> dont need and how do I remove them what are reprecutions? Sorry for
> asking such a low level question still cannot get this vmware installed
> been working with them for weeks now.

Working with them for weeks? Sheesh, that's painful.

First, this looks like either SLES 11 SP0 (shipping) or SP1. SP2 and SP3,
as I recall, use the linux 3.x kernel. Since it sounds like you're
starting out I'd highly recommend applying SP3 to the box, or maybe just
reinstall with SP3 brand new. Either way should be fine; since you are
new to Linux I'd probably just use the SP3 media to boot the box and do an
upgrade since that should require less interaction and just keep things
mostly as they are, except newer/better/faster/strong.

Whether or not you do that SLES now has a linux-kernel-headers package
which is meant to match the version of the installed default kernel for
exactly these types of applications. If you install that I think your
problems will basically go away and VMware can integrate with the kernel
without building headers from source. To install anything in SLES use
'zypper'; in fact, do install, query, uninstall, or just look up anything
about packages in Linux, use zypper. For example, search for packages
with 'kernel' in the name (both installed as well as installable via local
or online repositories):

Code:
--------------------
zypper se kernel
--------------------

Install the linux-kernel-headers package from the list above:

Code:
--------------------
zypper in linux-kernel-headers
--------------------

Get info on a package:

Code:
--------------------
zypper info kernel-default-base
--------------------

Another way to do that last bit, with installed things only, is directly
using the 'rpm' command:

Code:
--------------------
rpm -qi kernel-default-base
--------------------

Finally, since we're talking about virtualization have you considered
using KVM or Xen? KVM should work out of the box with SLES 11, and Xen
just requires using the other kernel. Just more options that you have
since you're already on SLES. Also, while it's not used as much for
production servers you could try VirtualBox which is available for free
from Oracle and has a nice UI like VMware Workstation.

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...

mminnaples
25-Apr-2014, 04:33
AB,
Thanks alot for the detailed explanation of everything it is much appreciated. I was thinking of going to SP3 but there is no direct path without going to SP1 SP2 then SP3. I,ve been working with VMware engineers for the last 2 weeks its ridiculous they finally said yes you have to upgrade. I will definitely check into the other options though do you need an Oracle Db to run the VirtualBox?

Thanks
MM

ab
25-Apr-2014, 05:58
On 04/24/2014 09:34 PM, mminnaples wrote:
>
> AB,
> Thanks alot for the detailed explanation of everything it is much
> appreciated. I was thinking of going to SP3 but there is no direct path
> without going to SP1 SP2 then SP3. I,ve been working with VMware
> engineers for the last 2 weeks its ridiculous they finally said yes you
> have to upgrade. I will definitely check into the other options though
> do you need an Oracle Db to run the VirtualBox?

No no no, Oracle VirtualBox is completely independent of the Oracle
database product, thankfully.

Yes, upgrading in a supported way requires going through the various SPs.
With that said, I've upgraded my own systems (when I was in a hurry)
skipping SPs, and if you want to give it a shot that's fine too. Worst
case, you could still do a fresh install with the SP3 media as all SLES
media are full installs.

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...

smflood
25-Apr-2014, 10:13
On 24/04/2014 17:54, mminnaples wrote:

> I am new to Linux I bought a server with SLES 11 on it I was trying to
> install Vmware on it and ran into missing Kernel Header files as I am
> sure everyone has, after getting very frustrated I put on a higher level
> Kernel the default was 2.6.27.19 now it is at 2.6.27.54 but when
> checking rmp -qa kernel* I see a bunch of different kernels
> kernel-default-2.6.27.54-0.2.1
> kernel-source-debuginfo-2.6.27.54-0.2.1
> kernel-xen-base-2.6.27.54-0.2.1
> kernel-source-2.6.27.54-0.2.1
> kernel-syms-2.6.27.54-0.2.1
> kernel-default-base-2.6.27.54-0.2.1
> Does anyone know which ones I should have and if there are some that I
> dont need and how do I remove them what are reprecutions? Sorry for
> asking such a low level question still cannot get this vmware installed
> been working with them for weeks now.

What do you mean by your two references to "[Vv]mware" above? VMware is
the company and they offer several different virtualisation products
which might be applicable here - VMware Workstation, VMware Player,
VMware Server, VMware ESX[i], and SLES for VMware. It would help if you
could specify which VMware product (and version) you mean.

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------