PDA

View Full Version : AWS SUSE AMI 64-bit: zypper and yast have disappeared

SamMonk
14-May-2014, 12:58
I have an instance running on the AWS cloud. I had attempted to use YaST, or more specifically YOU yast online updater. During the update it had many warning about dependencies, so I had skipped them all in order to make the updater run.

Now I have somehow lost the ability to use yast or zypper. Is there a way to fix this?

Most of the similar problems that I have found on Google searches require you to use a DVD to update/reinstall, but with this server being on the cloud I do not know how I would get a copy of the DVD to use.

KBOYLE
14-May-2014, 17:19
SamMonk wrote:

> but with this server being
> on the cloud I do not know how I would get a copy of the DVD to use.

You don't say much about your system, its configuration, or software
versions. Can you not download and mount an ISO image?

--
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...

SamMonk
14-May-2014, 18:42
Thanks for replying Kevin. I decided to launch a new instance and scrap the old one after spending all morning in a worm hole. I am going to try to stay away from yast altogether from here on out.

The AWS instance was the 64 bit SLES 11 SP3

jmozdzen
16-May-2014, 15:43
Hi SamMonk,

Thanks for replying Kevin. I decided to launch a new instance and scrap the old one after spending all morning in a worm hole. I am going to try to stay away from yast altogether from here on out.

The AWS instance was the 64 bit SLES 11 SP3

did you effectively skip all updates, or were only some updates applied, whichmay have left the system in an unstable state?

While I myself more often use direct config file editing than YaST, your description doesn't sound like YaST was the root cause and other packages may have been affected, too... so re-starting with a new instance was probably a good thing - staying away from YaST (or worse, from updates) isn't...

With regards,
Jens