PDA

View Full Version : Fix for GLIBC bug 6530 available for SLES11?



icope
19-Jun-2014, 16:19
There is a nasty printf bug in glibc (https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6530#c3) that is fixed as of glibc 2.17.

I have tried SLES11 (no SP), SLES11 SP1, SP2 and SP3 to no avail. No version has this bug fixed.

Has anyone any idea if and when this can be fixed in SLES11? We have had a very bad incident at a very important customer due to this that caused a lot of trouble.

I'd appreciate any hint. I would open a SR with Novell if need be but wanted to check first if this bug is planned to be fixed.

Thanks and best regards,
- Michael Kwasigroch, Intercope GmbH, Hamburg, Germany

smflood
19-Jun-2014, 22:46
icope Wrote in message:

> There is a nasty printf bug in glibc
> (https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6530#c3) that is fixed
> as of glibc 2.17.
>
> I have tried SLES11 (no SP), SLES11 SP1, SP2 and SP3 to no avail. No
> version has this bug fixed.
>
> Has anyone any idea if and when this can be fixed in SLES11? We have had
> a very bad incident at a very important customer due to this that caused
> a lot of trouble.
>
> I'd appreciate any hint. I would open a SR with Novell if need be but
> wanted to check first if this bug is planned to be fixed.

When you say you have tried the different versions of SLES11 what
do you mean by that? That you have installed all of them and
tested or checked what the version of glibc is for each? If the
latter you should note that for stability SUSE back port fixes
from later versions of software into their own packages of
earlier versions.

Given that versions of SLES11 before SP3 are no longer supported
(unless you have Long Term Service Pack Support aka LTSS) it's
unlikely those will be fixed but I'll ask SUSE about SLES11
SP3.

HTH.
--
Simon Flood
SUSE Knowledge Partner

icope
20-Jun-2014, 09:32
Hi Simon,

thanks for chiming in.

We have several SLES11 systems on different patch levels. I have executed the testcase for glibc bug 6530 on all of them only to find that the bug is there. Our SLES 11 SP3 system was patched with all available patches to no avail.

Cheers,
- Michael

smflood
20-Jun-2014, 10:34
On 20/06/2014 09:34, icope wrote:

> thanks for chiming in.

No problem.

> We have several SLES11 systems on different patch levels. I have
> executed the testcase for glibc bug 6530 on all of them only to find
> that the bug is there. Our SLES 11 SP3 system was patched with all
> available patches to no avail.

Since you previously suggested you could open an SR I'd suggest that you
now do that. Whilst I've asked my SUSE contacts, an SR will be more
official and add weight to the case for a fix. If you let me know (by
Private Message) the SR# I can then pass that on to my contacts to then
link the two approaches.

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

icope
24-Jun-2014, 11:06
Simon,

I have tried hard to submit a SR but was not able do to so as of today. Our Novell account has been refreshed etc. but still no joy. I suspect this to take longer so please be patient...

In the meantime I suggest that you use your SUSE contacts to try to get this fixed. I do appreciate your cooperation!

Thanks and best regards,
- Michael

smflood
24-Jun-2014, 15:20
On 24/06/2014 11:14, icope wrote:

> I have tried hard to submit a SR but was not able do to so as of today.
> Our Novell account has been refreshed etc. but still no joy. I suspect
> this to take longer so please be patient...
>
> In the meantime I suggest that you use your SUSE contacts to try to get
> this fixed. I do appreciate your cooperation!

Whilst I've reported it an SR from a customer will carry more weight.

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

icope
18-Sep-2014, 16:01
I just wanted to let you all know that the SLES11 SP3 fix "GLIBC 9669" fixed the issue.

Cheers!