PDA

View Full Version : Unable to start services automatically upon boot in SLES 12



arurajas
24-Jun-2014, 13:03
Hello All,

We have written custom scripts that get registered as a service and executed upon boot time for setting up some network configurations on the system. These scripts are placed under /etc/init.d/ directory. But in SLES 12 Beta, we see that these scripts are not getting invoked. In SLES 12 release notes, looks like some things have changed in this area. Would you please provide some pointers on how to make our scripts get executed during boot time ?


Thanks,
Arunagiri

ab
24-Jun-2014, 13:10
The best place to get support on the beta is probably via the beta
forums/lists provided by SUSE.

With that in mind, have you tried the options presented in the release notes:

https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12/#fate-316631-1

It'd be best, in most cases, to create a service script as covered last in
that section of the page.

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...

smflood
24-Jun-2014, 15:18
On 24/06/2014 13:10, ab wrote:

> The best place to get support on the beta is probably via the beta
> forums/lists provided by SUSE.

The SLES12 mailing list (there are no forums) is not just the best place
to get support on the beta but the only place!

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

arurajas
01-Jul-2014, 08:50
[QUOTE=ab;22160]The best place to get support on the beta is probably via the beta
forums/lists provided by SUSE.

As per the SLES 12 release notes, I had created a systemd service for my script and placed it inside /etc/systemd/system and enabled it using systemctl but when I try to start it just hangs up there and the status of it shows up as activating

sles12:~ # systemctl status XXXX.service
XXX.service - VSAE network interface service
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/XXX.service; enabled)
Active: activating (start) since Tue 2014-07-01 12:57:18 IST; 8min ago
Main PID: 1625 (activate.vmc.ne)
CGroup: /system.slice/XXXX.service
1625 /bin/sh /etc/init.d/activate.vmc.network-interface start
1631 sh XXXX.sh -s XXXXX
1639 XXXX.py -s XXXX


So what am I doing wrong here? FYI, I have just marked names with XXXX

smflood
01-Jul-2014, 10:33
On 01/07/2014 08:54, arurajas wrote:

>> As per the SLES 12 release notes, I had created a systemd service for my
>> script and placed it inside /etc/systemd/system and enabled it using
>> systemctl but when I try to start it just hangs up there and the status
>> of it shows up as activating
>>
>> sles12:~ # systemctl status XXXX.service
>> XXX.service - VSAE network interface service
>> Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/XXX.service; enabled)
>> Active: activating (start) since Tue 2014-07-01 12:57:18 IST; 8min
>> ago
>> Main PID: 1625 (activate.vmc.ne)
>> CGroup: /system.slice/XXXX.service
>> ��1625 /bin/sh /etc/init.d/activate.vmc.network-interface
>> start
>> ��1631 sh XXXX.sh -s XXXXX
>> ��1639 XXXX.py -s XXXX
>>
>>
>> So what am I doing wrong here? FYI, I have just marked names with XXXX

What are you doing wrong here? Posting in the wrong place.

If you have access to the SLES 12 Beta then you should have been told
how to report issues (mailing list) plus know that you're under a Non
Disclosure Agreement (NDA) which you're breaking by posting here ...

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

arurajas
01-Jul-2014, 11:05
Thanks for your clarification. So Beta support is provided only through official mail listings and not through forums right?

smflood
01-Jul-2014, 14:28
On 01/07/2014 11:14, arurajas wrote:

> Thanks for your clarification. So Beta support is provided only through
> official mail listings and not through forums right?

Yes, since SLES12 is currently a closed (authorised) beta only.

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------