PDA

View Full Version : HP server monitoring



KeN Etter
01-Jul-2014, 13:00
Small company, so just a few servers. We are standardized on HP
Proliants. Is there a way to get notifications of hardware issues
from the servers? I would like a solution where it would notify me
instead of me having to go check status.

Thanks,
Ken

Joseph Marton
01-Jul-2014, 14:27
KeN Etter wrote:

> Small company, so just a few servers. We are standardized on HP
> Proliants. Is there a way to get notifications of hardware issues
> from the servers? I would like a solution where it would notify me
> instead of me having to go check status.

HP Insight Manager?

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?

KeN Etter
01-Jul-2014, 16:35
On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 13:27:28 GMT, "Joseph Marton"
<jmarton@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>KeN Etter wrote:
>
>> Small company, so just a few servers. We are standardized on HP
>> Proliants. Is there a way to get notifications of hardware issues
>> from the servers? I would like a solution where it would notify me
>> instead of me having to go check status.
>
>HP Insight Manager?

I'll have to look into that. Do you know if it is included with
server purchases or if it is an add-on cost?

jmozdzen
08-Jul-2014, 13:24
Hi Ken,

> Small company, so just a few servers
> I would like a solution where it would notify me
> instead of me having to go check status.

how are the hardware failures reported, via the BMC log? Then running periodic checks via IPMI might be the solution, you could integrate such checks in a Nagios or Opennms solution... what's your current sysmgmt tool (uptime, server load,, network errors, reporting), if used at all?

Regards,
Jens

KeN Etter
08-Jul-2014, 13:56
On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 12:34:01 GMT, jmozdzen
<jmozdzen@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:

>
>Hi Ken,
>
>> Small company, so just a few servers
>> I would like a solution where it would notify me
>> instead of me having to go check status.
>
>how are the hardware failures reported, via the BMC log? Then running
>periodic checks via IPMI might be the solution, you could integrate such
>checks in a Nagios or Opennms solution... what's your current sysmgmt
>tool (uptime, server load,, network errors, reporting), if used at all?

I don't have a sysmgmt tool setup. Right now I just have to manually
check the status of things. For the local servers that means checking
the LEDs on the front panel. :-)

jmozdzen
08-Jul-2014, 14:26
Hi Ken,

> I don't have a sysmgmt tool setup.

then I suggest to have a look into Nagios (or Opennms, which has IMO a steeper learning curve, but more possibilities).

Even for only a few servers it's nice to run some basic monitoring, like file system, CPU and memory usage, especially if your tool let's you visualize historic data. Reporting, uptime monitoring and the option to include your own checks (i.e. IPMI, or application-specific stuff) not only enhance your view of your system, but let you handle incidents more efficiently (both retrospective, as well as pro-actively).

Both Opennms and Nagios are free of licensing costs, Nagios is available via standard SLES repositories.

Don't guess - measure! :D

Regards,
Jens

malcolmlewis
08-Jul-2014, 14:35
On Tue 08 Jul 2014 12:56:34 PM CDT, KeN Etter wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 12:34:01 GMT, jmozdzen
<jmozdzen@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:

>
>Hi Ken,
>
>> Small company, so just a few servers
>> I would like a solution where it would notify me
>> instead of me having to go check status.
>
>how are the hardware failures reported, via the BMC log? Then running
>periodic checks via IPMI might be the solution, you could integrate
>such checks in a Nagios or Opennms solution... what's your current
>sysmgmt tool (uptime, server load,, network errors, reporting), if
>used at all?

I don't have a sysmgmt tool setup. Right now I just have to manually
check the status of things. For the local servers that means checking
the LEDs on the front panel. :-)


Hi
I use overlook whiz to keep an eye on the forums ;)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.overlook.android.whiz

Then there is nagios, snmp, use rsyslog to one system and then
something like sec (openSUSE packager/maintainer) to monitor the logs;
http://simple-evcorr.sourceforge.net/

For hard drives, you can use something like hddtemp which you can
monitor temps remotely.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-17-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!