PDA

View Full Version : kernel debuginfo



abhinn
16-Jul-2014, 13:05
hi, i've recently updated to sles 11 (3.0.101-0.31-pae), and looking for kernel-debuginfo. Any pointers please?
Already tried zypper search -s kernel-*-debuginfo* but it does not return anything.

thanks.

smflood
16-Jul-2014, 15:59
On 16/07/2014 13:14, abhinn wrote:

> hi, i've recently updated to sles 11 (3.0.101-0.31-pae), and looking for
> kernel-debuginfo. Any pointers please?
> Already tried zypper search -s kernel-*-debuginfo* but it does not
> return anything.

Have you subscribed to and enabled the Debuginfo repositories for your
version of SLES11?

For example, if you have SLES11 SP3 then you need to subscribe to
SLE11-SP3-Debuginfo-Core and SLE11-SP3-Debuginfo-Updates.

Check the output from "zypper lr".

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

abhinn
17-Jul-2014, 08:11
linux-nys4:~ # zypper lr
# | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh
--+--------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+---------+--------
1 | PK_TMP_DIR | PK_TMP_DIR | Yes | Yes
2 | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-11-SP3 11.3.3-1.138 | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-11-SP3 11.3.3-1.138 | Yes | No
3 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Pool | SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Pool | No | Yes
4 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Updates | SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Updates | No | Yes
5 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-WebYaST-SP1-Pool | SLE11-WebYaST-SP1-Pool | No | Yes
6 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-WebYaST-SP1-Updates | SLE11-WebYaST-SP1-Updates | No | Yes
7 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-Extras | SLES11-Extras | No | Yes
8 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP1-Pool | SLES11-SP1-Pool | No | Yes
9 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP1-Updates | SLES11-SP1-Updates | No | Yes

Its installed from SP3 media. and i did an online update after. Is there any additional subscription? does it cost?
thanks

smflood
17-Jul-2014, 11:00
On 17/07/2014 08:14, abhinn wrote:

> linux-nys4:~ # zypper lr
> # | Alias | Name
> | Enabled | Refresh
> --+--------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+---------+--------
> 1 | PK_TMP_DIR | PK_TMP_DIR
> | Yes | Yes
> 2 | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-11-SP3 11.3.3-1.138 |
> SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-11-SP3 11.3.3-1.138 | Yes | No
> 3 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Pool |
> SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Pool | No | Yes
> 4 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Updates |
> SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Updates | No | Yes
> 5 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-WebYaST-SP1-Pool |
> SLE11-WebYaST-SP1-Pool | No | Yes
> 6 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-WebYaST-SP1-Updates |
> SLE11-WebYaST-SP1-Updates | No | Yes
> 7 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-Extras | SLES11-Extras
> | No | Yes
> 8 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP1-Pool | SLES11-SP1-Pool
> | No | Yes
> 9 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP1-Updates |
> SLES11-SP1-Updates | No | Yes
>
> Its installed from SP3 media. and i did an online update after. Is there
> any additional subscription? does it cost?

Whilst #2 suggests you did install from SP3 media #3 through #6 and #8 &
#9 all relate to SP1. Please can you post the output from "cat
/etc/*release".

If all the repos match the same SP then I say to simply enable the two
Debuginfo repos but something isn't quite right with your version vs
repos so that needs fixing first.

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

abhinn
17-Jul-2014, 14:23
# cat /etc/*release*
LSB_VERSION="core-2.0-noarch:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-noarch:core-2.0-ia32:core-3.2-ia32:core-4.0-ia32"
cat: /etc/lsb-release.d: Is a directory
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (i586)
VERSION = 11
PATCHLEVEL = 3

smflood
17-Jul-2014, 14:57
On 17/07/2014 14:24, abhinn wrote:

> # cat /etc/*release*
> LSB_VERSION="core-2.0-noarch:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-noarch:core-2.0-ia32:core-3.2-ia32:core-4.0-ia32"
> cat: /etc/lsb-release.d: Is a directory
> SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (i586)
> VERSION = 11
> PATCHLEVEL = 3

Okay so that matches the media which just leaves the question of why
it's listing SP1 repos instead of SP3 ones.

Was this a fresh install of SP3 or upgrade from SP1?

Was the server registered with Novell (SUSE) Customer Center during or
post install?

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

abhinn
17-Jul-2014, 16:11
it was installed from SP3; then registered to novell after which it allowed the updates.. was hoping it would get the debuginfo, but ended up here.

regards

smflood
17-Jul-2014, 17:02
On 17/07/2014 16:14, abhinn wrote:

> it was installed from SP3; then registered to novell after which it
> allowed the updates.. was hoping it would get the debuginfo, but ended
> up here.

Given your SLES11 SP3 server is configured to access SP1-related repos I
wouldn't install any updates as they could cause you problems.

It's probably a good idea if you log in to the Novell Customer Center
and check which SLES-related repos you have access to just to make sure
you see the SP3 ones.

If you do we'll then look at fixing your repos.

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

smflood
17-Jul-2014, 17:13
On 17/07/2014 17:02, Simon Flood wrote:

> It's probably a good idea if you log in to the Novell Customer Center
> and check which SLES-related repos you have access to just to make sure
> you see the SP3 ones.

Now Novell Customer Center has responded for me, the thing you should
check is that there are SLES11-SP3-* and SLE11-SP3-* repos listed under
My Products > Mirror Credentials.

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

abhinn
18-Jul-2014, 16:51
Thanks simon. But i dont see any under Mirror credentials. perhaps i havent purchased any subscription.
Not sure how SP1 updates got into the system. I'll clear the SP1 stuff.
One last que: Is it possible to get kernel-debuginfo without paying any subscriptions? Is that freely available, when the new version comes in?
Regards.

smflood
21-Jul-2014, 12:29
On 18/07/2014 16:54, abhinn wrote:

> Thanks simon. But i dont see any under Mirror credentials. perhaps i
> havent purchased any subscription.

Ah if you haven't bought a subscription you won't be entitled to access
the update repositories.

> Not sure how SP1 updates got into the system. I'll clear the SP1 stuff.

Yes that I don't understand.

> One last que: Is it possible to get kernel-debuginfo without paying any
> subscriptions? Is that freely available, when the new version comes in?

No, SUSE don't offer old versions of packages for free when new ones are
available. Whilst this is obviously for commercial reasons it makes
sense from a security aspect too.

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------