PDA

View Full Version : There are still NW 4.2 boxes out there running enterprise critical data



W_ Prindl
05-Aug-2014, 18:38
I just found such a NW 4.2 box, in a company, where I would never have
thought, that they are relying on such old software.

They are running all their desktops as thin clients fully virtualized
on a nice server-farm, want to move all their applications to web
applications, which can also run on Linux desktops - invest quite a lot
into custom development and hardware but at the momnt all their
production desktops are WinXP VMs. As I asked, why they didn't move to
Win7 I was told they have some DOS applications still in use.

Those should run on Win7 till Win 8.1 32 bit without issue?

No, because the main datasource is hosted on Netware 4.2 !


--
W. Prindl

lhaig
05-Aug-2014, 18:45
On 05/08/2014 19:38, W_ Prindl wrote:
> I just found such a NW 4.2 box, in a company, where I would never have
> thought, that they are relying on such old software.
>
> They are running all their desktops as thin clients fully virtualized
> on a nice server-farm, want to move all their applications to web
> applications, which can also run on Linux desktops - invest quite a lot
> into custom development and hardware but at the momnt all their
> production desktops are WinXP VMs. As I asked, why they didn't move to
> Win7 I was told they have some DOS applications still in use.
>
> Those should run on Win7 till Win 8.1 32 bit without issue?
>
> No, because the main datasource is hosted on Netware 4.2 !
>
>

Wow that brings back memories

W_ Prindl
05-Aug-2014, 20:06
Yes it's almost 18 years ago since I started my first NW 4.x server and
I think 9 years ago since I downed my last NW4.11 server.

--
W. Prindl


Lance Haig wrote:

>On 05/08/2014 19:38, W_ Prindl wrote:
>>I just found such a NW 4.2 box, in a company, where I would never
>>have thought, that they are relying on such old software.
>>
>>They are running all their desktops as thin clients fully
>>virtualized on a nice server-farm, want to move all their
>>applications to web applications, which can also run on Linux
>>desktops - invest quite a lot into custom development and hardware
>>but at the momnt all their production desktops are WinXP VMs. As I
>>asked, why they didn't move to Win7 I was told they have some DOS
>>applications still in use.
>>
>>Those should run on Win7 till Win 8.1 32 bit without issue?
>>
>>No, because the main datasource is hosted on Netware 4.2 !
>>
>>
>
>Wow that brings back memories

Dave Howe
06-Aug-2014, 12:04
On 05/08/2014 18:38, W_ Prindl wrote:
> I just found such a NW 4.2 box, in a company, where I would never have
> thought, that they are relying on such old software.

At least you found it - cue the usual story of a netware server being
bricked up, still running....

Simon Flood
06-Aug-2014, 12:54
On 05/08/2014 18:38, W_ Prindl wrote:

> I just found such a NW 4.2 box, in a company, where I would never have
> thought, that they are relying on such old software.

...snip..

> No, because the main datasource is hosted on Netware 4.2 !

So what's it's up time? Photo!
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

W_ Prindl
06-Aug-2014, 21:43
If I go there next time I'll try to get that info. But can be quite
some time, till i meet them in their premises.

--
W. Prindl


Simon Flood wrote:

>On 05/08/2014 18:38, W_ Prindl wrote:
>
>>I just found such a NW 4.2 box, in a company, where I would never
>>have thought, that they are relying on such old software.
>
>..snip..
>
>>No, because the main datasource is hosted on Netware 4.2 !
>
>So what's it's up time? Photo!

laurabuckley
07-Aug-2014, 19:06
Hi,

Uptime photo would be awesome :)

Thanks,


--
Laura Buckley
Technical Consultant
IT Dynamics, South Africa

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
laurabuckley's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=122
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=478608