PDA

View Full Version : Adobe is silly



DZanre
05-Jan-2012, 15:53
Well, I think we all know that - heehee. But here's the latest silliness.

Joe got a Mac on Saturday. He owns Photoshop CS5 for Windows. I actually own
the entire CS5 suite for Mac, and technically I can install it on two Macs, but
Joe doesn't need the entire suite, and you never know when you'll need to
install it again, right? So, since he owns a Windows license I get online and
do a chat to see if it can be swapped. I give the rep the serial number, etc.
and he sends me to a form for doing a "swap".

We first get an email back that it's being looked at, with standard verbage that
swaps can only be done within 30 days of purchase (it's been 13 months!), and
that the old software must be destroyed, etc. It was a download.

Yesterday we got the followup message. They cannot "swap" the product, because
it's been more than 30 days. They did offer though that Joe can "return" the
downloadable product for a refund, and then purchase a new copy. Huh? The two
products cost exactly the same. Now, if they wish to "prorate" some kind of
cost for the one year of usage, that will be interesting. I've asked them about
it. In any event, it just seems to me like it's a lot of "paperwork" to end up
with the same product in a different OS - heehee.

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
Upgrading to GroupWise 2012?
http://www.caledonia.net/gw12upg.html

jamesgosling
05-Jan-2012, 16:26
Yup that sounds pretty silly to me!


--
JAMES GOSLING
'www.jamesgosling.com' (http://www.jamesgosling.com)
'www.novellblog.com' (http://www.novellblog.com)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
jamesgosling's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=9688
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=450323

ab
05-Jan-2012, 16:33
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Google: gimp

Just send me the license fee for it once you get it installed.

Good luck.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.15 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJPBcLiAAoJEF+XTK08PnB5BFUP/0BG4RDpGm9pS9ttpJ4iq/Mr
oiQwD3kqEWRO+uM+y4vHYRq48aiQ3NcKbfSPcZCNZM3LsWJiRM 27FHzlytRbWGwR
2hVJQLR+cd1LM7z7ZpqIPM09QaIUsEh3FN/rNzR5+n01K1i6qsq6XTe34kgrnvQM
TBH8TYMYu/02fdEPaZkPGJoXnChSf+cVbwtxs9ldIoNte12WhKDjKqQ4C4YS 3PgP
Q2IQqf2NZDMhqyRK7BB7JXFmrgk6j0Tak5r83GPWCln27Ia5ed XZvF8ssjKuYDya
OsaFaFjqyLt9q7/6U70vLnzCLJxahTJurIPySNK0Nf59+DmlbBjVPGY2rrrFffgX
tHrMxjRSONtX3zBqyicJbtyrLbmOAdoszw05LrxUtDI5mpFxRH tDrMbjlU1JJ/vG
Vx7Lzoi/8HdzhjTs+06rIaed1/yqMeIiYOCr7M95trL/VIyguVFEGhl8I5ptZoK5
7ei/vljZuDlbH7n/GpMk7CIf4qCwKhTx6vsUrY+jsR+t+1IKhO8vLKHDJV4nz1Mj
zTF0InRDxFnQsDazitq01+6DJu0h5jF2XSoCWsz01va0qsZUxy QOlZyn4iuC8vFn
ju+pDMa2duhDD+qcA/RrJTqbw4KySL2z3UNLi+xpCrRTbtt67aAE1/ey+2slkT4G
5gjWBSC3DGf3iqUo7NRG
=ik27
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

malcolmlewis
05-Jan-2012, 16:45
On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 15:33:33 GMT
ab <ab@novell.com> wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Google: gimp
>
> Just send me the license fee for it once you get it installed.
>

Hi
And the light-weight version is pinta... they need mac testers......
http://pinta-project.com/

PS, just send the license fee to Aaron.....

Then there is mypaint (I'm one of the openSUSE Maintainers)
http://mypaint.intilinux.com/

Again, send the license fee to Aaron...he
--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) Kernel 3.1.0-1.2-desktop
up 13:09, 4 users, load average: 0.01, 0.03, 0.05
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

jamesgosling
05-Jan-2012, 16:46
I remember many (many many) years ago I worked for a company and had the
job or sorting out their licensing. We found an enormous pile of
Microsoft licenses, but by looking at them there was no way of knowing
what they were for. We rang Microsoft and they had no idea either, they
just asked us what we wanted them to be licenses for. We said Office
Professional please and they happily registered them. Somehow I don't
think they'd be so lax today.


--
JAMES GOSLING
'www.jamesgosling.com' (http://www.jamesgosling.com)
'www.novellblog.com' (http://www.novellblog.com)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
jamesgosling's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=9688
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=450323

Massimo Rosen
05-Jan-2012, 17:27
On 05.01.2012 16:33, ab wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Google: gimp
>
> Just send me the license fee for it once you get it installed.

Comparing Gimp to Photoshop CS is like comparing DOS to Netware.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de

ab
05-Jan-2012, 17:35
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

That's a pretty common claim that I've heard, but so is comparing a
Maserati to a Ford Pinto. Does Joe have somewhere he can go 300 km/h or
faster? Is he really going to need the features that make the Photoshop
snobs..., er, purists need Photoshop over something like Gimp? Maybe.
Does 99.999% of the population? No. Having used both I can't tell the
difference (I, too, do not have a Maserati, or a need to drive one, even
figuratively in this sense).

Good luck.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.15 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJPBdF4AAoJEF+XTK08PnB5/JgQAIM9MHjUZSZ2ss/TDgLF8PuP
6BqwNdkFIevgt3krN/I+iFcuBuEfbo4xPhffoLv9z2Yv0k8kilqyGzCJFZ/eTgyR
bWcBbgz2Z3xrRnifH7ky7b2EmStUFqUDKBnYMrQSMZvcDBSS3P g91PFIIuGmY+GI
3uk9Ex+pD5wPa3dBLbxW/MOV0Vi7JoERFWcJbPf5knPrXHOENKpIIK/JcCUGeX8Y
tlRryYSd8fmIbfPvEkQTl2grTvTda1NeJgzir7zL/maBop7q/irwJ1FKAtE4KNVa
1viknuzbwcBMSlnunirVqQb2HoKzMO97gBE3sIDlDgYFhx5rPN qhI5LflLptn8Ea
pBBK3bBbcrojEvD/FcNBrllDrkAdGKRKi88neKLc8dLYLngFUqxBerT19PtwoFUN
uwMf9Ui5P0h+pIwfrcc4Uo70FOcwv6kAiRtWU+kJR6AXWE4Pgq 85mpws8HsBe5fj
rEclspCa5V61fOhGry15lbHmudpimEqIkmnr8nVZG+OkBeIc0l Ik3VYqWq7uibDT
jS4AU5rDB/DceLHJtqed+AeNwRt4Tae6hiIVTGsW6ttn6OlGjnPIEfrgVuNX o9Ss
pVRaoGsGu53DnnBCvkO9Cyn7eOR5FV5fyzSVJqLrQuoT8nXLyX gMOa502GFoM+Gv
UChC5MPQKuufOV8Iw/NU
=aM/s
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Jim Henderson
05-Jan-2012, 18:00
On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 16:35:47 +0000, ab wrote:

> Having used both I can't tell the difference

The biggest difference is that GIMP can't handle high enough colour depth
for professionals. That's been a long-standing issue with it, and if Joe
does professional design, that limitation would be significant.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Knowledge Partner

Massimo Rosen
05-Jan-2012, 18:07
On 05.01.2012 18:00, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 16:35:47 +0000, ab wrote:
>
>> Having used both I can't tell the difference
>
> The biggest difference is that GIMP can't handle high enough colour depth
> for professionals. That's been a long-standing issue with it, and if Joe
> does professional design, that limitation would be significant.

Not quite. It's an issue (actually, a showstopper) for anybody aiming
for quality results. I wouldn't take pictures with a 4MP P&S camera, and
I wouldn't touch pictures with gimp. It's akin to a music pro doing all
their mixing of tracks with MP3 files instead of 24bit 92khz
uncompressed tracks.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de

Jim Henderson
05-Jan-2012, 18:15
On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 17:07:10 +0000, Massimo Rosen wrote:

> On 05.01.2012 18:00, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 16:35:47 +0000, ab wrote:
>>
>>> Having used both I can't tell the difference
>>
>> The biggest difference is that GIMP can't handle high enough colour
>> depth for professionals. That's been a long-standing issue with it,
>> and if Joe does professional design, that limitation would be
>> significant.
>
> Not quite. It's an issue (actually, a showstopper) for anybody aiming
> for quality results.

Depends on the quality you want and how you define "quality". I have
used the GIMP for editing/touching up camera images and have had very
good results. But I also tend to capture in RAW format, and use dcraw to
import into the GIMP - most of my adjustments are done in dcraw (or ufraw,
which is the front-end I use). It also deals with dead pixels quite
effectively.

> I wouldn't take pictures with a 4MP P&S camera, and
> I wouldn't touch pictures with gimp. It's akin to a music pro doing all
> their mixing of tracks with MP3 files instead of 24bit 92khz
> uncompressed tracks.

Again, depends on what the desired results are.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Knowledge Partner

Simon Flood
05-Jan-2012, 18:19
On 05/01/2012 14:53, DZanre wrote:

> Yesterday we got the followup message. They cannot "swap" the product, because
> it's been more than 30 days. They did offer though that Joe can "return" the
> downloadable product for a refund, and then purchase a new copy. Huh? The two
> products cost exactly the same. Now, if they wish to "prorate" some kind of
> cost for the one year of usage, that will be interesting. I've asked them about
> it. In any event, it just seems to me like it's a lot of "paperwork" to end up
> with the same product in a different OS - heehee.

Does he need the full PhotoShop? Would Elements not suffice?

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

DZanre
05-Jan-2012, 20:44
Simon Flood wrote:

> Does he need the full PhotoShop? Would Elements not suffice?

He has both - and honestly as much as he paid for PhotoShop I want him to at
least get a license we can use on something here! He didn't realize that with
"students" in our house, there are great discounts to be had from Adobe.

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
Upgrading to GroupWise 2012?
http://www.caledonia.net/gw12upg.html

DZanre
05-Jan-2012, 20:45
ab wrote:

> Does Joe have somewhere he can go 300 km/h or faster? Is he really going to
> need the features that make the Photoshop snobs..., er, purists need Photoshop
> over something like Gimp?

Well, he is becoming a bit of a photography nut, and has taken multiple
Photoshop courses, etc. It's something he likes doing, and it keeps him out of
the bars . . . .

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
Upgrading to GroupWise 2012?
http://www.caledonia.net/gw12upg.html

DZanre
05-Jan-2012, 20:47
jamesgosling wrote:

> We said Office Professional please and they happily registered them. Somehow I
> don't think they'd be so lax today.

Heehee

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
Upgrading to GroupWise 2012?
http://www.caledonia.net/gw12upg.html

Massimo Rosen
06-Jan-2012, 00:19
Jim,

On 05.01.2012 18:15, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Depends on the quality you want and how you define "quality".

The quality anybody expects that's currently using Photoshop (CS). ;)

I'm pretty active in several photo related communities. *Nobody* uses
Gimp. Not even the Linux users (of which there are quite a few). I also
read a *lot* of magazines and thus tests of picture editing software.
*If* Gimp is included in those tests, it comes in a distant last. I
can't remember any test with a different result in the last 5 years.

I know it hurts some die-hard Linux geeks, but just because something is
the only software available on Linux for a given task, doesn't mean it's
actually good or even up to it.

Quite seriously, I don't know for whom Gimp would be a good choice. For
casual users it's way too big and complex, and for enthusiasts and pros
it simply doesn't cut it.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de

Jim Henderson
06-Jan-2012, 00:35
On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 23:19:43 +0000, Massimo Rosen wrote:

> Jim,
>
> On 05.01.2012 18:15, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Depends on the quality you want and how you define "quality".
>
> The quality anybody expects that's currently using Photoshop (CS). ;)
>
> I'm pretty active in several photo related communities. *Nobody* uses
> Gimp. Not even the Linux users (of which there are quite a few). I also
> read a *lot* of magazines and thus tests of picture editing software.
> *If* Gimp is included in those tests, it comes in a distant last. I
> can't remember any test with a different result in the last 5 years.

That's fair.

> I know it hurts some die-hard Linux geeks, but just because something is
> the only software available on Linux for a given task, doesn't mean it's
> actually good or even up to it.

Doesn't hurt me at all. I use the GIMP and it meets my needs. <shrug>

> Quite seriously, I don't know for whom Gimp would be a good choice. For
> casual users it's way too big and complex, and for enthusiasts and pros
> it simply doesn't cut it.

Well, as I said, it's a good choice for me - it's what I have, what I'm
comfortable with using, and it's what has met my needs. One of my
needs: Not spending money on software that I would only occasionally
use. :)

Jim
--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Knowledge Partner

DZanre
06-Jan-2012, 00:52
Jim Henderson wrote:

> One of my needs: Not spending money on software that I would only
> occasionally use. :)

And that's a perfectly fair reason to use it.

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
Upgrading to GroupWise 2012?
http://www.caledonia.net/gw12upg.html

Michael Bell
06-Jan-2012, 01:24
http://workingwebmaster.com/gimp-vs-photoshop/

simplistic, but not an unuseful comparison

Massimo Rosen
06-Jan-2012, 10:54
Jim,

On 06.01.2012 00:35, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
> Well, as I said, it's a good choice for me - it's what I have, what I'm
> comfortable with using, and it's what has met my needs. One of my
> needs: Not spending money on software that I would only occasionally
> use. :)

I know many users that use inferiour software just because they're used
to it, and it's "free". Can you say Outlook (Express)? ;)

Of course that's fine.

But suggesting to drop something *vastly* superiour that someone else is
already used to and owns, like Aaron did here for the sake of some very
personal, political and emotional OS(S) preference is beyond me.

That's what sometimes really stirs me up with the OSS community. Yes,
the Gimp is an impressive piece of software considering where it comes
from, as is Linux itself, MySQL, Aapche or other OSS software. But just
because it's OSS doesn't mean it's better, or the answer to all
questions. Some reality check would sometimes help. There are reasons
why such an enormous majority of desktop users use windows and macs
instead of Linux. It's not because they're all stupid, but it's because
the amount of higher quality software (paid *and* free) for almost every
task at hand is simply dwarfing linux. And no, this time david doesn't
stand the slightest chance vs. goliath.

The reason why macs had a chance vs. windows? Because although the sheer
amount of available software is and always was tiny compared with
windows, they always had at least one *top notch*, professional (and
commercial) offering, that could easily take it up with the best
software available on windows (and there also usually was at least one
"good enough, cheap offering).
Photoshop is just one prime example. There is *no* software for linux
that can even remotely compete with PS, fact. Thus, for anybody being
serious about picture editing, linux isn't the right choice, period. I'm
tired of linux fanboys denying that simple and overwhelmingly obvious
fact (not targeted at you). This is and always was one of linux core
problems in the desktop market. The denial of the community that there
are (many) things the "other side" simply does much better.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de

jamesgosling
06-Jan-2012, 12:56
Gimp was good enough for Google, they created their iconic logo with
it.

:cool:


--
JAMES GOSLING
'www.jamesgosling.com' (http://www.jamesgosling.com)
'www.novellblog.com' (http://www.novellblog.com)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
jamesgosling's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=9688
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=450323

kgroneman
06-Jan-2012, 17:57
I'm going to be a rebel here. I use Corel Paintshop Pro. It's a *LOT*
cheaper than Photoshop and a *LOT* easier to use than GIMP. It simply
fits my needs as I'm not big into photo editing, but do do it from time
to time as well as create some graphics on occasion and PSP does a
great job for me.

--
Kim - 1/6/2012 9:54:00 AM

GofBorg
06-Jan-2012, 19:23
> it. In any event, it just seems to me like it's a lot of "paperwork" to
> end up with the same product in a different OS - heehee.

At least they are letting you do it. I know some other providers would tell
you to stuff it and buy a new license. Just sayin'.

DZanre
06-Jan-2012, 21:32
GofBorg wrote:

> At least they are letting you do it. I know some other providers would tell
> you to stuff it and buy a new license. Just sayin'.

Well I'm not sure that's the case yet either! Got another email today to phone
them, because both of the messages they've sent me were incorrect. Honestly,
I've not had ONE vendor ever tell me that I had to purchase a new license when I
moved from Windows to Mac. So, if Adobe does it now, they will be the bad guys.
In fact, many of the cross-platform companies I work with don't have separate
Windows and Mac licenses. The license is for the "product" no matter where I
run it.

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
Upgrading to GroupWise 2012?
http://www.caledonia.net/gw12upg.html

Douglas Black
06-Jan-2012, 21:42
Michael Bell,

> http://workingwebmaster.com/gimp-vs-photoshop/
>
> simplistic, but not an unuseful comparison

I was hoping to see something there that would confirm or refute
Massimo's contention that GIMP is incapable of doing quality photo
editing. Oh well.

DZanre
06-Jan-2012, 22:10
Douglas Black wrote:

> I was hoping to see something there that would confirm or refute Massimo's
> contention that GIMP is incapable of doing quality photo editing. Oh well.

It seemed to be more geared towards "graphic design" scenarios rather than photo
editing scenarios.

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
Upgrading to GroupWise 2012?
http://www.caledonia.net/gw12upg.html

Jim Henderson
07-Jan-2012, 03:39
On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 09:54:46 +0000, Massimo Rosen wrote:

> Jim,
>
> On 06.01.2012 00:35, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>> Well, as I said, it's a good choice for me - it's what I have, what I'm
>> comfortable with using, and it's what has met my needs. One of my
>> needs: Not spending money on software that I would only occasionally
>> use. :)
>
> I know many users that use inferiour software just because they're used
> to it, and it's "free". Can you say Outlook (Express)? ;)

I don't know that it's a fair comparison to call GIMP in the same class
as Outlook Express, but whatever.

> I'm
> tired of linux fanboys denying that simple and overwhelmingly obvious
> fact (not targeted at you). This is and always was one of linux core
> problems in the desktop market. The denial of the community that there
> are (many) things the "other side" simply does much better.

When you're a niche market that's trying to expand, that "denial" isn't
really denial, but one of a few tools to try to grow the market to the
point of being relevant enough for someone like Adobe to make an
investment in porting their software to the platform.

Getting a new desktop platform to grow is a tricky thing, since it gains
market share by having applications, but applications don't get developed
unless the platform is popular. As you know, this makes things a little
difficult.

So the question isn't "is the GIMP as good as PS", it's "is the GIMP good
enough for what the user is trying to accomplish". Not everyone *needs*
PS for their graphics editing needs. Just like not everybody needs a
high performance car to drive to work in.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Knowledge Partner

Jim Henderson
07-Jan-2012, 03:40
On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 00:24:51 +0000, Michael Bell wrote:

> http://workingwebmaster.com/gimp-vs-photoshop/
>
> simplistic, but not an unuseful comparison

No, but kinda misses the point that not everyone *needs* something as
powerful as Photoshop.

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Knowledge Partner

Jim Henderson
07-Jan-2012, 03:41
On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 23:52:55 +0000, DZanre wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> One of my needs: Not spending money on software that I would only
>> occasionally use. :)
>
> And that's a perfectly fair reason to use it.

That it's "good enough" for my needs certainly adds to that. :)

Jim
--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Knowledge Partner

Michael Bell
07-Jan-2012, 04:28
On 1/6/2012 6:40 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 00:24:51 +0000, Michael Bell wrote:
>
>> http://workingwebmaster.com/gimp-vs-photoshop/
>>
>> simplistic, but not an unuseful comparison
>
> No, but kinda misses the point that not everyone *needs* something as
> powerful as Photoshop.
>
> Jim
>
>
>
I guess you've lost the ability to read Jim :) ?

"All that said, I use Gimp way more often. Why? Because it does the job,
it’s free, doesn’t use up much memory, and I don’t have to keep track of
licensing information. Besides, though Photoshop does a lot more, Gimp
does infinitely more than most graphic artists will ever need."

Seems pretty on point t'me.

KBOYLE
07-Jan-2012, 17:26
mrosen;2165364 Wrote:
>
>
> Comparing Gimp to Photoshop CS is like comparing DOS to Netware.
That may be, but what is the basis for your comparison?

Photoshop is a very capable product that requires a degree of expertise
to fully utilize its capabilities. While it may stand head and shoulders
above the competition, it may not be the best tool for the job when you
take into account the needs and the skill of the user.

You don't need to install NetWare to create a text file. :-)

Just my two cents...


--
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are using the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
KBOYLE's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=19359
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=450323

Jim Henderson
07-Jan-2012, 19:40
On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 03:28:14 +0000, Michael Bell wrote:

> On 1/6/2012 6:40 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 00:24:51 +0000, Michael Bell wrote:
>>
>>> http://workingwebmaster.com/gimp-vs-photoshop/
>>>
>>> simplistic, but not an unuseful comparison
>>
>> No, but kinda misses the point that not everyone *needs* something as
>> powerful as Photoshop.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>>
>>
> I guess you've lost the ability to read Jim :) ?

No, I skimmed the article. :)

> "All that said, I use Gimp way more often. Why? Because it does the job,
> it’s free, doesn’t use up much memory, and I don’t have to keep track of
> licensing information. Besides, though Photoshop does a lot more, Gimp
> does infinitely more than most graphic artists will ever need."
>
> Seems pretty on point t'me.

Indeed, that does. :)

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Knowledge Partner

Massimo Rosen
08-Jan-2012, 15:08
On 07.01.2012 17:26, KBOYLE wrote:
>
> mrosen;2165364 Wrote:
>>
>>
>> Comparing Gimp to Photoshop CS is like comparing DOS to Netware.
> That may be, but what is the basis for your comparison?
>
> Photoshop is a very capable product that requires a degree of expertise
> to fully utilize its capabilities. While it may stand head and shoulders
> above the competition, it may not be the best tool for the job when you
> take into account the needs and the skill of the user.

The necessary skills aren't less with Gimp, it's not like it's an easy
to use, simple and intuitive program. It's every little bit as
complicated as PS (many say even more), but much less capable.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de

Paul Lamontagne
08-Jan-2012, 17:56
>> And that's a perfectly fair reason to use it.
>
> That it's "good enough" for my needs certainly adds to that. :)
>
You worked for MaryJo way to long.. :-)



--
Paul

Jim Henderson
08-Jan-2012, 20:40
On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 14:08:51 +0000, Massimo Rosen wrote:

> The necessary skills aren't less with Gimp, it's not like it's an easy
> to use, simple and intuitive program.

But Massimo, that's largely true of any particularly complex piece of
software. But once you learn the interface and become comfortable with
it, then it becomes easy to use.

Take the rather classic case of Blender 3D. Its UI is *atrocious* and it
is (or used to be, as things have changed somewhat) a very complex piece
of software that's very difficult to use.

But those users who use it professionally (which is actually where it got
its start) find it to be the most productive way to do their work.

Framemaker is another example - it's extremely complicated software,
particularly if you get into modifying it, but once you learn how to use
it (particularly structured Framemaker), writing becomes *a lot* easier.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Knowledge Partner

Jim Henderson
08-Jan-2012, 20:40
On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 16:56:26 +0000, Paul Lamontagne wrote:

>>> And that's a perfectly fair reason to use it.
>>
>> That it's "good enough" for my needs certainly adds to that. :)
>>
> You worked for MaryJo way to long.. :-)

I've been through project management training and am familiar with the
Pareto Principle, and I've been around software development long enough
to know that if you try to achieve perfection, you never ship a product.

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Knowledge Partner

KBOYLE
08-Jan-2012, 23:36
hendersj;2165933 Wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 14:08:51 +0000, Massimo Rosen wrote:
>
> > The necessary skills aren't less with Gimp, it's not like it's an
> easy
> > to use, simple and intuitive program.
>
> But once you learn the interface and become comfortable with it, then
> it becomes easy to use.

As I read this Photoshop vs Gimp comparison the expression that comes
to mind is -flogging a dead horse!- One's familiarity with a particular
program counts for a lot (witness the reluctance of many people to
embrace Linux). The fact is, I agree with both points of view.

When it comes to a hands-down comparison between Photoshop and Gimp, I
have to agree with Massimo. You can't beat Photoshop. On the other hand,
the final result depends, to a large extent, on the skill of the user
and his familiarity with a particular program. If you already have and
know how to use a particular program -and it can get the job done- then
I agree with Jim. You go with what you know.

And, by the way, this has nothing to do with Adobe being silly! Does
anyone disagree? ;-)


--
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are using the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
KBOYLE's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=19359
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=450323

Massimo Rosen
08-Jan-2012, 23:37
On 08.01.2012 20:40, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 14:08:51 +0000, Massimo Rosen wrote:
>
>> The necessary skills aren't less with Gimp, it's not like it's an easy
>> to use, simple and intuitive program.
>
> But Massimo, that's largely true of any particularly complex piece of
> software. But once you learn the interface and become comfortable with
> it, then it becomes easy to use.

Yes, and I don't debate that. I was answering Kevins comment, which
sounded like Gimp would be much easier than PS, which it surely isn't.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de

unsigned
09-Jan-2012, 15:11
When purchased off of the Volume licensing programs, Adobe licenses
include a key for both Windows and Mac versions. I would hope they'll
work with you on a single retail purchase.

On 1/6/2012 2:32 PM, DZanre wrote:
> Well I'm not sure that's the case yet either! Got another email today to phone
> them, because both of the messages they've sent me were incorrect. Honestly,
> I've not had ONE vendor ever tell me that I had to purchase a new license when I
> moved from Windows to Mac. So, if Adobe does it now, they will be the bad guys.
> In fact, many of the cross-platform companies I work with don't have separate
> Windows and Mac licenses. The license is for the "product" no matter where I
> run it.
>

DZanre
10-Jan-2012, 21:45
unsigned wrote:

> I would hope they'll work with you on a single retail purchase.

In theory this is complete. I haven't received the email with the new license
number yet, but I do have an order number itself.

Of course it took 45 minutes on the phone (not on hold, on the phone) to process
a switch from a Windows license to a Mac license.

Speaking of "on hold", which I phone Adobe it wa 12:13 p.m. I was told that I
had a 30-40 minute hold time, and that they could phone me back, but I opted to
hold. I was connected in 3 minutes! Probably everyone else gives up and says
call back or hangs up, and the brave get through!

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
Upgrading to GroupWise 2012?
http://www.caledonia.net/gw12upg.html

jamesgosling
12-Jan-2012, 15:36
dzanre;2166554 Wrote:
> unsigned wrote:
>
> > I would hope they'll work with you on a single retail purchase.
>
> In theory this is complete. I haven't received the email with the new
> license
> number yet, but I do have an order number itself.
>
> Of course it took 45 minutes on the phone (not on hold, on the phone)
> to process
> a switch from a Windows license to a Mac license.
>
> Speaking of "on hold", which I phone Adobe it wa 12:13 p.m. I was told
> that I
> had a 30-40 minute hold time, and that they could phone me back, but I
> opted to
> hold. I was connected in 3 minutes! Probably everyone else gives up
> and says
> call back or hangs up, and the brave get through!
>
> --
> Danita
> Novell Knowledge Partner
> Upgrading to GroupWise 2012?
> 'Shopping Cart' (http://www.caledonia.net/gw12upg.html)

Sneaky!


--
JAMES GOSLING
'www.jamesgosling.com' (http://www.jamesgosling.com)
'www.novellblog.com' (http://www.novellblog.com)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
jamesgosling's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=9688
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=450323

ashmoore
26-Jan-2012, 15:16
Two points for PS
First regarding its use for photographers and designers over any other
product (gimp or otherwise)
The use of PS is only partly due to its features and ease of use - it
has its own industry built around providing plugins, actions, add-on
products, training etc etc. All to support graphic professionals using
PS. Gimp? Not so much....

Second bit was to be careful with the Adobe Student license, it is
similar to the MS Student license in that you cannot use it for creating
work for commercial purposes. No difference in the software only the
licensing.


--
-----x==---x===-----
I used to be an eagle......
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ashmoore's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8630
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=450323

DZanre
30-Jan-2012, 20:03
DZanre wrote:

> In theory this is complete. I haven't received the email with the new license
> number yet, but I do have an order number itself.

Still no license, and I'm getting annoyed, because they closed the case as
"complete" on the 19th, saying we would receive the "order" in 5 to 7 business
days - since it's just a license to go into the portal, you would think it
shouldn't be that long!!!!

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
Upgrading to GroupWise 2012? http://www.caledonia.net/blog/?p=514
http://www.caledonia.net/gw12upg.html

KBOYLE
30-Jan-2012, 20:21
DZanre wrote:

> Still no license, and I'm getting annoyed, because they closed the
> case as "complete" on the 19th, saying we would receive the "order"
> in 5 to 7 business days -

I find a good portion of my time is spent following up on things,
especially when it seems they have fallen through the cracks. I imagine
it is the same with you. You don't have to like it, but you must be
used to it by now. ;-)

--
Kevin Boyle
Calgary, Alberta Canada

unsigned
30-Jan-2012, 21:39
That's ridiculous.

I just placed a small volume order.. nearly every product came with both
Mac/Win keys right off the bat. I do understand retail is different, but
I would think they'd have a mechanism in place to make the transition
without annoying the customer or just flat out not allow it.



On 1/30/2012 1:03 PM, DZanre wrote:
> DZanre wrote:
>
>> In theory this is complete. I haven't received the email with the new license
>> number yet, but I do have an order number itself.
>
> Still no license, and I'm getting annoyed, because they closed the case as
> "complete" on the 19th, saying we would receive the "order" in 5 to 7 business
> days - since it's just a license to go into the portal, you would think it
> shouldn't be that long!!!!
>

DZanre
30-Jan-2012, 22:30
unsigned wrote:

> they'd have a mechanism in place to make the transition
> without annoying the customer

In this case, it almost seems as though the mechanism is designed TO annoy the
customer.

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
Upgrading to GroupWise 2012? http://www.caledonia.net/blog/?p=514
http://www.caledonia.net/gw12upg.html

Dave Howe
31-Jan-2012, 17:58
On 26/01/2012 14:16, ashmoore wrote:
>
> Two points for PS
> First regarding its use for photographers and designers over any other
> product (gimp or otherwise)
> The use of PS is only partly due to its features and ease of use - it
> has its own industry built around providing plugins, actions, add-on
> products, training etc etc. All to support graphic professionals using
> PS. Gimp? Not so much....

Meh, prefer Paint Shop Pro - supports the PS plugins, and has native
python scripting for task automation.