PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Doing Codeyear?



Lance Haig
11-Jan-2012, 14:27
Hi All,

I am not sure if anyone else is interested but I have signed up to learn
to code in a year at Codeyear.com

the first weeks course has arrived so if you want to learn you can catch
up quickly. :-)

Lance

Dave Howe
11-Jan-2012, 15:26
On 11/01/2012 13:27, Lance Haig wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am not sure if anyone else is interested but I have signed up to learn
> to code in a year at Codeyear.com
>
> the first weeks course has arrived so if you want to learn you can catch
> up quickly. :-)

Signed up, but haven't gotten mine first one yet. I don't anticipate any
problems, given I used to be a full time C programmer, but its always
good to keep your skills updated :)

Lance Haig
11-Jan-2012, 16:33
On 11/01/12 14:26, Dave Howe wrote:
> On 11/01/2012 13:27, Lance Haig wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am not sure if anyone else is interested but I have signed up to learn
>> to code in a year at Codeyear.com
>>
>> the first weeks course has arrived so if you want to learn you can catch
>> up quickly. :-)
>
> Signed up, but haven't gotten mine first one yet. I don't anticipate any
> problems, given I used to be a full time C programmer, but its always
> good to keep your skills updated :)


if you signed up just got to codecademy.com and sign in the course will
be available to you.

Lance

Dave Howe
18-Jan-2012, 12:24
On 11/01/2012 15:33, Lance Haig wrote:
> if you signed up just got to codecademy.com and sign in the course will
> be available to you.

Ok, did this last night. A bit basic but I guess its fair enough that
they are starting at basics and working their way up.

Steve Meyer
18-Jan-2012, 18:11
In article <GZxRq.249$ST2.152@kovat.provo.novell.com>, DaveHowe@ans.no-
mx.forums.novell.com wrote...
> Ok, did this last night. A bit basic but I guess its fair enough that
> they are starting at basics and working their way up.
>

If you like a wealth of subjects and working at your own pace, check out
Lynda.com. It costs $25.00/month but offers training on almost every
application and development tool imaginable. You can jump in at most
any level, take a refresher course, or learn a whole new skill set.

Not a bad resource for $25.00/month. How much value can new skills add
to your career?

(BTW... I am not affiliated with Lynda.com in any way. My son found it
when he was trying to learn a new skill in order to apply for a
promotion. He got the promotion and I was impressed.)

Steve

Lance Haig
18-Jan-2012, 20:34
On 18/01/12 11:24, Dave Howe wrote:
> On 11/01/2012 15:33, Lance Haig wrote:
>> if you signed up just got to codecademy.com and sign in the course will
>> be available to you.
>
> Ok, did this last night. A bit basic but I guess its fair enough that
> they are starting at basics and working their way up.

It is a bit basic but they are aiming this year at people who are new to
programming. Although for me this weeks one was much more challenging :-)

Lance

Lance Haig
18-Jan-2012, 20:34
On 18/01/12 17:11, Steve Meyer wrote:
> In article<GZxRq.249$ST2.152@kovat.provo.novell.com>, DaveHowe@ans.no-
> mx.forums.novell.com wrote...
>> Ok, did this last night. A bit basic but I guess its fair enough that
>> they are starting at basics and working their way up.
>>
>
> If you like a wealth of subjects and working at your own pace, check out
> Lynda.com. It costs $25.00/month but offers training on almost every
> application and development tool imaginable. You can jump in at most
> any level, take a refresher course, or learn a whole new skill set.
>
> Not a bad resource for $25.00/month. How much value can new skills add
> to your career?
>
> (BTW... I am not affiliated with Lynda.com in any way. My son found it
> when he was trying to learn a new skill in order to apply for a
> promotion. He got the promotion and I was impressed.)
>
> Steve

Great link Steve,

I am doing the codeyear partly because it is free :-)

Lance

Dave Howe
19-Jan-2012, 14:19
On 18/01/2012 19:34, Lance Haig wrote:
> Great link Steve,
>
> I am doing the codeyear partly because it is free :-)

Programming isn't a defined part of my job any more (that doesn't mean
I don't do it, just that I won't get any benefit out of doing it better
other than getting though my work load faster; I certainly won't get a
pay raise).

I could use it to get a *better* job, but most of those want official
paper (usually from MS or cisco these days) and discount any skills you
gain unless you have proven, multi-year hands-on experience in the field
to show (and sadly, in the current job market they seem to be succeeding
despite that attitude)

Lance Haig
19-Jan-2012, 14:29
On 19/01/12 13:19, Dave Howe wrote:
> On 18/01/2012 19:34, Lance Haig wrote:
>> Great link Steve,
>>
>> I am doing the codeyear partly because it is free :-)
>
> Programming isn't a defined part of my job any more (that doesn't mean
> I don't do it, just that I won't get any benefit out of doing it better
> other than getting though my work load faster; I certainly won't get a
> pay raise).
>
> I could use it to get a *better* job, but most of those want official
> paper (usually from MS or cisco these days) and discount any skills you
> gain unless you have proven, multi-year hands-on experience in the field
> to show (and sadly, in the current job market they seem to be succeeding
> despite that attitude)


Agreed,

it is not the same for me but I get what you are saying

Lance