PDA

View Full Version : purchasing new server - need lots of storage



cmosentine
30-Oct-2014, 14:24
Hi all: I am looking to replace our backup server. The replacement server will be used in a disk-2-disk-2-tape setup using Arkeia software on an OES 11 platform. As such I need a lot of cheap storage on board or directly attached. I have spec'ed out an HP DL380 server with 12 3.5 inch drive bays, 2 500GB OS drives (RAID 1) and 6 4TB storage drives (RAID 6) for about $6K. That leaves 4 empty bays for future use. Since everything goes to tape, the disk storage is used to shorten the backup window and speed recovery, it does not have to be super reliable. I would love a way to use consumer-grade HDs to save money.



So, any suggestions?

Anders Gustafsson
30-Oct-2014, 14:43
Cmosentine,
> I would love a way to use consumer-grade HDs to save money.

Adaptec sata controller?

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

cmosentine
30-Oct-2014, 15:16
I should have specified a few more requirements. The server hardware must be rack-mountable and capable of holding the consumer-grade drives (no custom carriers, etc.).


>>> Anders Gustafsson<AndersG@no-mx.forums.novell.com> 10/30/2014 9:43 AM >>>


Cmosentine,
> I would love a way to use consumer-grade HDs to save money.

Adaptec sata controller?

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

Anders Gustafsson
30-Oct-2014, 15:45
Cmosentine,
> I should have specified a few more requirements. The server hardware must be rack-mountable and capable of holding the consumer-grade drives (no custom carriers, etc.).

OK. Adaptec controllers are standard cards. Dunno about the mounting hw, I have a noname box with
4 1Tb drives that just slid in, but it is not in a rack.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

cmosentine
30-Oct-2014, 16:37
Got it. I am looking for something that can hold 8 to 12 drives.


>>> Anders Gustafsson<AndersG@no-mx.forums.novell.com> 10/30/2014 10:45 AM >>>


Cmosentine,
> I should have specified a few more requirements. The server hardware must be rack-mountable and capable of holding the consumer-grade drives (no custom carriers, etc.).

OK. Adaptec controllers are standard cards. Dunno about the mounting hw, I have a noname box with
4 1Tb drives that just slid in, but it is not in a rack.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

Anders Gustafsson
30-Oct-2014, 17:13
Cmosentine,
> Got it. I am looking for something that can hold 8 to 12 drives.

First hit on Google: http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sata_enclosures/

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

cmosentine
31-Oct-2014, 14:47
Any experience using these?

Anders Gustafsson
31-Oct-2014, 14:53
No. I was just googing. I would probably not buy a server from the US.
Too costly to ship :)

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

cmosentine
04-Nov-2014, 14:50
I would image that the shipping does get expensive way up there.


>>> Anders Gustafsson<AndersG@no-mx.forums.novell.com> 10/31/2014 9:53 AM >>>


No. I was just googing. I would probably not buy a server from the US.
Too costly to ship :)

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

Anders Gustafsson
08-Nov-2014, 13:17
Yes, not worth it, especially if you factor in stuff like warranties
and possible returns.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

Hspeirs
08-Nov-2014, 18:22
On 10/30/2014 8:24 AM, cmosentine wrote:
> Hi all: I am looking to replace our backup server. The replacement
> server will be used in a disk-2-disk-2-tape setup using Arkeia software
> on an OES 11 platform. As such I need a lot of cheap storage on board
> or directly attached. I have spec'ed out an HP DL380 server with 12 3.5
> inch drive bays, 2 500GB OS drives (RAID 1) and 6 4TB storage drives
> (RAID 6) for about $6K. That leaves 4 empty bays for future use. Since
> everything goes to tape, the disk storage is used to shorten the backup
> window and speed recovery, it does not have to be super reliable. I
> would love a way to use consumer-grade HDs to save money.
>
> So, any suggestions?

I built a storage appliance for Mary last year. White box 4U chassis, 10
* 3TB consumer HDD, small SSD. 24TB Raid 5 with hot spare for around
$5K. It runs OpenIndiana, a fork of the OpenSolaris project, so an
enterprise grade OS, with napp-it as a web management gui. Configure it
as either iSCSI or NFS. Performance is obscenely good.

Actually have a number of customers running these, on brandname
hardware, as their production SAN. Capacity/$ and performance are
incredibly good.

Let me know if you need more details.

H.