PDA

View Full Version : EFI installation for 12?

albumns
10-Nov-2014, 17:53
Hello:

I've got Dell M4800 laptop and I am going to install SLED 12 on it. It has a Windows 8.1 system and the boot was managed by EFI system. I noticed that my lived SUSE usb stick cannot boot from EFI system and I have to switch to lecacy.....

I am just wondering how can we install SLED 12 in such kind of system?

Thank you very much.

best wishes

Albert

PS: I've submitted a wrong thread to SLES section, could anybody help me to delete? THX

malcolmlewis
10-Nov-2014, 18:10
Hi
Sounds like an issue with the USB device? I have SLED 12 UEFI Secure/Non Secure dual booting with windows 7, 8.1 and preview (10).

I used SUSE Studio imagewriter (from linux) to create my USB device (8GB), how did you create your usb device, sounds like it's created as mbr and not efi....

albumns
10-Nov-2014, 18:17
Hello:

I also use imagewriter (from my openSUSE 13.1) to creat it. My USB device is 16 GB. I simple drug the SLED 12 .iso file into imagewriter interface. I don't find any options that we can select UEFI mode for creating such kind of usb booting deveices....

THX alot

Hi
Sounds like an issue with the USB device? I have SLED 12 UEFI Secure/Non Secure dual booting with windows 7, 8.1 and preview (10).

I used SUSE Studio imagewriter (from linux) to create my USB device (8GB), how did you create your usb device, sounds like it's created as mbr and not efi....

malcolmlewis
10-Nov-2014, 18:55
Hello:

I also use imagewriter (from my openSUSE 13.1) to creat it. My USB device is 16 GB. I simple drug the SLED 12 .iso file into imagewriter interface. I don't find any options that we can select UEFI mode for creating such kind of usb booting deveices....

THX alot
Hi
Ok, when you boot the system in UEFI Mode can you select the efi file to boot from? On my HP's I press F9 to select the boot device or efi file. Do you have something similar?