PDA

View Full Version : NoMachine NX Server 'Shadow' connection



bobpaul
16-Sep-2011, 21:46
I've installed NoMachine's 'NX Free edition server'
(http://www.nomachine.com/download-package.php?Prod_Id=3504) (client,
node, server RPMS) and it works fine to connect to a new "Desktop->Unix:
GNOME" session remotely using NoMachine's client.

I'd really like to connect to existing sessions using the
"Desktop->Shadow" setting on in the client. Anyone have experience with
this? I have it working on Ubuntu after setting
-EnableFullDesktopSharing = "1"- in /usr/NX/etc/server.cfg and ensuring
the client has "Display->As on the server" set. But on SLED 11.1, the
client seems to drop the connection some time after it shows my running
'Local display' session and I click 'Attach'.

The client logs just seem to indicate the connection dropped and I
can't figure out where NX keeps its server logs (or if it makes any).

Anyone have experience with this and know what I'm missing?


--
bobpaul
------------------------------------------------------------------------
bobpaul's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=116723
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=444846

malcolmlewis
16-Sep-2011, 22:40
On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 20:46:02 GMT
bobpaul <bobpaul@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>
> I've installed NoMachine's 'NX Free edition server'
> (http://www.nomachine.com/download-package.php?Prod_Id=3504) (client,
> node, server RPMS) and it works fine to connect to a new
> "Desktop->Unix: GNOME" session remotely using NoMachine's client.
>
> I'd really like to connect to existing sessions using the
> "Desktop->Shadow" setting on in the client. Anyone have experience
> with this? I have it working on Ubuntu after setting
> -EnableFullDesktopSharing = "1"- in /usr/NX/etc/server.cfg and
> ensuring the client has "Display->As on the server" set. But on SLED
> 11.1, the client seems to drop the connection some time after it
> shows my running 'Local display' session and I click 'Attach'.
>
> The client logs just seem to indicate the connection dropped and I
> can't figure out where NX keeps its server logs (or if it makes any).
>
> Anyone have experience with this and know what I'm missing?
>
>
Hi
Alas I only connect to my SLES server, for logs see here;


For user logs;
~/.nx/

For NX logs;
/usr/NX/var/log

So what is the client, is this SLED as well?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.37.6-0.7-desktop
up 4 days 0:37, 4 users, load average: 0.62, 0.45, 0.33
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 280.13

bobpaul
17-Sep-2011, 01:16
malcolmlewis;2138244 Wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 20:46:02 GMT
> bobpaul <bobpaul@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
>
> >
> > I've installed NoMachine's 'NX Free edition server'
> > ('NoMachine NX - Download: NX Free Edition for Linux'
> (http://www.nomachine.com/download-package.php?Prod_Id=3504)) (client,
> > node, server RPMS) and it works fine to connect to a new
> > "Desktop->Unix: GNOME" session remotely using NoMachine's client.
> >
> > I'd really like to connect to existing sessions using the
> > "Desktop->Shadow" setting on in the client. Anyone have experience
> > with this? I have it working on Ubuntu after setting
> > -EnableFullDesktopSharing = "1"- in /usr/NX/etc/server.cfg and
> > ensuring the client has "Display->As on the server" set. But on SLED
> > 11.1, the client seems to drop the connection some time after it
> > shows my running 'Local display' session and I click 'Attach'.
> >
> > The client logs just seem to indicate the connection dropped and I
> > can't figure out where NX keeps its server logs (or if it makes any).
> >
> > Anyone have experience with this and know what I'm missing?
> >
> >
> Hi
> Alas I only connect to my SLES server, for logs see here;
> >
Code:
--------------------
> >
> For user logs;
> ~/.nx/
>
> For NX logs;
> /usr/NX/var/log
>
--------------------
> >
> So what is the client, is this SLED as well?
>

Client was Ubuntu, but they're both running the same software from
nomachine's website (just one was *.deb, other was *.rpm) so I wouldn't
expect that to matter.

/usr/NX/var/log/ only has 1 file -> install
Does the server not take per-connection logs?

I did try the NX4 preview and that is working for Shadow connections,
but nothing else. For now NX4 is usable, but I'm still interested in
getting 3.5 working, as I might want sessions other than the local
session.


--
bobpaul
------------------------------------------------------------------------
bobpaul's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=116723
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=444846