PDA

View Full Version : An interesting trend for Novell



Simeonof
18-Dec-2014, 14:06
This is my own observation, and I hope I am not right :)

During the last couple of years I am noticing an interesting trend for
where Novell is going as a company and as software products. As a
starter, the Identity&Security portfolio was taken away from Novell and
into NetIQ. I'm talking fundamental Novell systems with great value (at
least for me) and/or strong market position - Identity Manager, Access
Manager, Sentinel, eDirectory!!!, and few others that are not so
important. These have always been recognizable as Novell products, but
now they are NetIQ's. Not a big deal at first glance, at least until
Novell and NetIQ get acquired by 2 different companies.

What is left for Novell is OES, GroupWise, ZENworks and few others which
are not so important. I see that current Novell software gets modified
in order to work in AD environments - this is the case with GW2014, this
is the case with the coming OES2015 and this is the case with ZENworks
since quite a while. Every Novell software was separated from
eDirectory, and made compatible with AD. At least so far everything
works still with eDirectory. Not only this, but in many official Novell
documentation (user guides, admin guides, training materials, etc.) in
the compatibility for directory systems part, they always put Microsoft
Active Directory before eDirectory, and Windows before SLES! This pisses
me off, but hey - who am I to object... Microsoft on the other hand has
competitive products that everybody is using (so they must be gorgeous,
perfect, the best, no?) - Exchange, Windows Server, SCCM, AD. I still
don't understand what could be a reason, provided one is entirely MS
shop (and using the best perfect gorgeous one-and-only products from
MS), to add another vendor into their infrastructure (along with
everything that comes from that - other suppliers, other support, other
bugs, incompatibilities, etc.. Price? Hmmm, I am not quite convinced.
Anyway, the Novell Marketing has to worry about this, not me.

My question is, is Novell becoming just another software company
(thousands like it out there) that writes pieces of software for
Microsoft environments? And instead of competing with Microsoft, it is
going to compete with thousands of others for what's left from
Microsoft's table? Hmmm...


--
Simeonof
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simeonof's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1373
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=481062

KeN Etter
18-Dec-2014, 14:22
On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 13:06:01 GMT, Simeonof
<Simeonof@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>
>This is my own observation, and I hope I am not right :)
>
>During the last couple of years I am noticing an interesting trend for
>where Novell is going as a company and as software products. As a
>starter, the Identity&Security portfolio was taken away from Novell and
>into NetIQ. I'm talking fundamental Novell systems with great value (at
>least for me) and/or strong market position - Identity Manager, Access
>Manager, Sentinel, eDirectory!!!, and few others that are not so
>important. These have always been recognizable as Novell products, but
>now they are NetIQ's. Not a big deal at first glance, at least until
>Novell and NetIQ get acquired by 2 different companies.
>
>What is left for Novell is OES, GroupWise, ZENworks and few others which
>are not so important. I see that current Novell software gets modified
>in order to work in AD environments - this is the case with GW2014, this
>is the case with the coming OES2015 and this is the case with ZENworks
>since quite a while. Every Novell software was separated from
>eDirectory, and made compatible with AD. At least so far everything
>works still with eDirectory. Not only this, but in many official Novell
>documentation (user guides, admin guides, training materials, etc.) in
>the compatibility for directory systems part, they always put Microsoft
>Active Directory before eDirectory, and Windows before SLES! This pisses
>me off, but hey - who am I to object... Microsoft on the other hand has
>competitive products that everybody is using (so they must be gorgeous,
>perfect, the best, no?) - Exchange, Windows Server, SCCM, AD. I still
>don't understand what could be a reason, provided one is entirely MS
>shop (and using the best perfect gorgeous one-and-only products from
>MS), to add another vendor into their infrastructure (along with
>everything that comes from that - other suppliers, other support, other
>bugs, incompatibilities, etc.. Price? Hmmm, I am not quite convinced.
>Anyway, the Novell Marketing has to worry about this, not me.
>
>My question is, is Novell becoming just another software company
>(thousands like it out there) that writes pieces of software for
>Microsoft environments? And instead of competing with Microsoft, it is
>going to compete with thousands of others for what's left from
>Microsoft's table? Hmmm...

It is all point of view. Some people were being forced to go to
Windows and/or AD but still wanted to use great Novell products, so
Novell offered AD integration. I have no interest in that, but I can
see where it would be great for some people. OES, eDirectory,
GroupWise, ZCM, Filr are all great products and I use them all. I
have mostly Novell/NetIQ and very little MS in my server room and I
like it that way. I'm not sure how to answer your final question...
isn't every software company just another software company? :-)

Joseph Marton
19-Dec-2014, 15:07
Simeonof wrote:

> During the last couple of years I am noticing an interesting trend for
> where Novell is going as a company and as software products. As a
> starter, the Identity&Security portfolio was taken away from Novell
> and into NetIQ. I'm talking fundamental Novell systems with great
> value (at least for me) and/or strong market position - Identity
> Manager, Access Manager, Sentinel, eDirectory!!!, and few others that
> are not so important.

Keep in mind that before The Attachmate Group acquired Novell, TAG
consisted of Attachmate and NetIQ. NetIQ had a long history of
focusing on security and identity products. Then TAG acquired Novell,
and really Novell didn't have a focus. Novell did file & networking,
collaboration, endpoint management, workload automation, datacenter,
security, identity... the list went on and on. So the idea was to have
each business unit focus on its core competencies. Novell for the
longest time of course had file & networking (since 1983), and both
collaboration and endpoint management had been around since the
mid-90s. The products you mentioned were moved to NetIQ since that had
always been their focus, and the Linux/datacenter stuff got moved over
to SUSE. Each BU now could focus on what had made it great instead of
being sidetracked by being a mile wide and a foot deep.

> What is left for Novell is OES, GroupWise, ZENworks and few others
> which are not so important.

Those three products are the "heritage" products. But I wouldn't say
that things such as Filr, iPrint, and File Management Suite aren't so
important. The Enterprise File Sync & Share (EFSS) space is huge right
now as there's more and more organizations need a way to get to their
files from home and work, from mobile devices, share large files with
those outside the organization, etc and they want to do it securely.
They need something better than Dropbox/BOX/OneDrive/Google Drive, and
we're seeing tons of interest in Filr as a result. In many cases
customers that have migrated away completely from our heritage products
are coming back to Novell purely for Filr. iPrint is a similar story
now that it's been broken out of NW/OES. Also as more and more
organizations try to get a handle on their file server architectures,
and we're seeing a lot of interest there, then things such as File
Reporter and Storage Manager (both part of FMS) become very important.

> I see that current Novell software gets
> modified in order to work in AD environments - this is the case with
> GW2014, this is the case with the coming OES2015 and this is the case
> with ZENworks since quite a while.

Yes, and it's also the case with Filr, iPrint, and FMS. Basically
every product in the Novell portfolio has full support for AD so that
customers aren't forced to run the entire Novell stack to get the
advantages of a particular product.

> At least so
> far everything works still with eDirectory.

There are no plans to change this, either.

> Not only this, but in
> many official Novell documentation (user guides, admin guides,
> training materials, etc.) in the compatibility for directory systems
> part, they always put Microsoft Active Directory before eDirectory,
> and Windows before SLES!

Well, the MS stuff comes first alphabetically. :-) Active Directory
comes before eDirectory, Microsoft comes before Novell. A lot of the
docs I see take this approach which then doesn't give any preferential
treatment to any technology. It just uses the alphabet.

> Microsoft on the other hand has competitive products that
> everybody is using

Many are using, but not everybody. If everybody was using Microsoft's
products, then all other software vendors would be gone. :-)

> My question is, is Novell becoming just another software company
> (thousands like it out there) that writes pieces of software for
> Microsoft environments?

Not at all. We still have the products that made us great, we're
innovating new products, and we're making sure all of our products have
an increased scope to support Microsoft, Novell, even Google
environments. This strategy allows us to support existing customers
while also bringing back former ones.

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?

kjhurni
19-Dec-2014, 17:06
Simeonof;2342851 Wrote:
> This is my own observation, and I hope I am not right :)
>
> My question is, is Novell becoming just another software company
> (thousands like it out there) that writes pieces of software for
> Microsoft environments? And instead of competing with Microsoft, it is
> going to compete with thousands of others for what's left from
> Microsoft's table? Hmmm...

1) Quite possibly for your first question, the answer is "yes". But
this is not necessarily a bad thing. Think about it. Novell was seeing
(and continues to see) customers going from an eDir only environment to
either a heterogenous or MS Windows/AD-only environment. So Novell was
faced with a choice: Do you keep your products only working on
NetWare/Linux/eDir and lose all business, or do you make your software
run on as many platforms as possible and salvage some of your business
(50% of something is better than 100% of nothing, IMO). So they began
porting the software to run on Windows, and/or interface with AD. LOTS
of people began switching from NetWare to MS Windows for file/print for
a variety of reasons, but they liked/needed GroupWise, ZEN, NAM, etc.

2) Competing against MS is probably a losing battle in the long-run in
the sense of nobody is going to unseat MS from its current monopoly
position any time soon. Novell tried many times to compete with MS on
the desktop and that failed miserably, IMO. Novell and *many* other
companies try to compete against MS for email and all are pretty much
losing (I don't believe Notes/GW are gaining market share vs.
Exchange/O364/Gmail). AD support for GW is about 7 years too late, IMO.
Note that this doesn't mean that Novell will have ZERO market share.
MS is tremendously aggressive with getting customers to get an ELA and
once that happens, it makes no financial sense at all to continue to pay
for ZCM/GW when those products are "included" in the base ELA license
from MS (SCCM/Exchange). But we all know that finances don't always
drive decisions.

Now does this mean Novell is going to just die and disappear? I doubt
it. Will market forces/pressure continue to erode market share for some
products? Probably. Will Novell adapt in time? Probably. Will every
product that Novell ever made stay around? Nope. Not even MS has kept
every product it ever developed. Probably years from now Exchange won't
even be around, it'll be all O365 subscription-based (and a piece of
garbage, IMO, compared to even native Exchange and GW from a technical
capability). Heck, file servers may go by the wayside eventually in the
sense of what we consider them to be today.

I'm a firm believer that no *one* company makes all products that best
fit the needs of a business. Nothing necessarily wrong with working
"with" Microsoft products. The reality is that MS controls the desktop
OS and has leveraged that to its advantage and anyone who wants to stay
in business has to deal with that reality.

Unfortunately history is filled with dead technology that was superior
to the competition and didn't win the market battle.

--Kevin


--
The opinions expressed are my own.
Check out my OES2 Guides:
Installing OES2 SP2:
http://www.novell.com/communities/node/11600/oes2-sp2-installation-guide
Upgrading to OES2 with ID Transfer:
http://www.novell.com/communities/node/11601/oes2-sp2-migration-guide-transfer-id-scenarios
GroupWise Migration with OES2 ID Transfer:
http://www.novell.com/communities/node/11602/groupwise-migration-netware-oes2-sp2-transfer-id
------------------------------------------------------------------------
kjhurni's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=734
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=481062

Mary Wood
19-Dec-2014, 18:22
A recent debacle here at my place of employ featured highly-paid SWINE
(Someone Who Is Not Educated) claiming that "using Novell GroupWise
going forward would be a burden because there's no 'interoperability' -
all software that is being written now is being written for Microsoft."

Can Novell compete with Microsoft? I think they have competitive
products coupled with the world's worst marketing - but that's been the
case for a long time. And any software does have to be compatible with
TinyFlaccid - I mean Microsoft - because basically the entire doggone
world does in fact use Windows. No software company can ignore that.

But I would love nothing better than to have Novell/NetIQ/Attachmate
make products so spectacular and so wickedly well-marketed that I never
have to endure another sneered, "You still use GroupWise?"

At least now I can ask them, "So, how long did it take to roll back that
Exchange patch last week?"


On 12/18/2014 7:06 AM, Simeonof wrote:
>
> This is my own observation, and I hope I am not right :)
>
> During the last couple of years I am noticing an interesting trend for
> where Novell is going as a company and as software products. As a
> starter, the Identity&Security portfolio was taken away from Novell and
> into NetIQ. I'm talking fundamental Novell systems with great value (at
> least for me) and/or strong market position - Identity Manager, Access
> Manager, Sentinel, eDirectory!!!, and few others that are not so
> important. These have always been recognizable as Novell products, but
> now they are NetIQ's. Not a big deal at first glance, at least until
> Novell and NetIQ get acquired by 2 different companies.
>
> What is left for Novell is OES, GroupWise, ZENworks and few others which
> are not so important. I see that current Novell software gets modified
> in order to work in AD environments - this is the case with GW2014, this
> is the case with the coming OES2015 and this is the case with ZENworks
> since quite a while. Every Novell software was separated from
> eDirectory, and made compatible with AD. At least so far everything
> works still with eDirectory. Not only this, but in many official Novell
> documentation (user guides, admin guides, training materials, etc.) in
> the compatibility for directory systems part, they always put Microsoft
> Active Directory before eDirectory, and Windows before SLES! This pisses
> me off, but hey - who am I to object... Microsoft on the other hand has
> competitive products that everybody is using (so they must be gorgeous,
> perfect, the best, no?) - Exchange, Windows Server, SCCM, AD. I still
> don't understand what could be a reason, provided one is entirely MS
> shop (and using the best perfect gorgeous one-and-only products from
> MS), to add another vendor into their infrastructure (along with
> everything that comes from that - other suppliers, other support, other
> bugs, incompatibilities, etc.. Price? Hmmm, I am not quite convinced.
> Anyway, the Novell Marketing has to worry about this, not me.
>
> My question is, is Novell becoming just another software company
> (thousands like it out there) that writes pieces of software for
> Microsoft environments? And instead of competing with Microsoft, it is
> going to compete with thousands of others for what's left from
> Microsoft's table? Hmmm...
>
>

Joseph Marton
20-Dec-2014, 19:14
kjhurni wrote:

> MS is tremendously aggressive with getting customers to get
> an ELA and once that happens, it makes no financial sense at all to
> continue to pay for ZCM/GW when those products are "included" in the
> base ELA license from MS (SCCM/Exchange).

I disagree. First of all, SCCM/Exchange really aren't free, they just
aren't broken out as separate line items. You still pay for it. But
even if you go with the idea that the licensing is free, there's still
TCO to consider. How much is it going to cost to migrate, how much
more admin time will be needed, how much more hardware will be needed,
etc. That's why many of our customers who sign enterprise agreements
with Microsoft continue to keep parts of their Novell infrastructure.
They do it where it makes sense, including financial sense.

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?

Joseph Marton
20-Dec-2014, 19:16
Mary Wood wrote:

> A recent debacle here at my place of employ featured highly-paid
> SWINE (Someone Who Is Not Educated) claiming that "using Novell
> GroupWise going forward would be a burden because there's no
> 'interoperability' - all software that is being written now is being
> written for Microsoft."

Apparently the person you mention never saw this page.

https://www.novell.com/products/groupwise/partners.html

Beyond that, upcoming "first look" support for Outlook 2013 in GMS 2.1
also helps to solve the challenge by allowing customers to use Outlook
against a GW backend in case a third-party app is needed which only
supports Outlook.

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?

Simeonof
13-Jan-2015, 21:16
Mary Wood;2343044 Wrote:
> A recent debacle here at my place of employ featured highly-paid SWINE
> (Someone Who Is Not Educated)
> >[/color]

:) Made my day mate


--
Simeonof
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simeonof's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1373
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=481062

Simeonof
13-Jan-2015, 21:36
jmarton;2343086 Wrote:
> Mary Wood wrote:
> [color=blue]
> Beyond that, upcoming "first look" support for Outlook 2013 in GMS 2.1
> also helps to solve the challenge by allowing customers to use Outlook
> against a GW backend in case a third-party app is needed which only
> supports Outlook.
>

That is something I am also looking forward to. It may be the end of the
GroupWise client for many end-users, but at least it will keep the
backend technology.


--
Simeonof
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simeonof's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1373
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=481062

Simeonof
13-Jan-2015, 21:56
jmarton;2343015 Wrote:
> Simeonof wrote:
>
> > > > Keep in mind that before The Attachmate Group acquired Novell, TAG
> > consisted of Attachmate and NetIQ. NetIQ had a long history of
> > focusing on security and identity products. Then TAG acquired Novell,
> > and really Novell didn't have a focus. Novell did file & networking,
> > collaboration, endpoint management, workload automation, datacenter,
> > security, identity... the list went on and on. So the idea was to have
> > each business unit focus on its core competencies. Novell for the
> > longest time of course had file & networking (since 1983), and both
> > collaboration and endpoint management had been around since the
> > mid-90s. The products you mentioned were moved to NetIQ since that had
> > always been their focus, and the Linux/datacenter stuff got moved over
> > to SUSE. Each BU now could focus on what had made it great instead of
> > being sidetracked by being a mile wide and a foot deep.> >
>
> This is true. At some point Novell was trying to focus in many
> different areas, which was inefficient. However, among others,
> eDirectory was given out to NetIQ. eDirectory! And IDM (which has
> eDirectory as its core)! What's done is done though, nothing we can do
> here.
>
> > > >
> > Yes, and it's also the case with Filr, iPrint, and FMS. Basically
> > every product in the Novell portfolio has full support for AD so that
> > customers aren't forced to run the entire Novell stack to get the
> > advantages of a particular product.> >
>
> I agree this is a good thing overall. There are not so many SWINE
> "consultants" that understand that it is better for the customer not
> to be "married" to a particular software vendor. On the other hand,
> look at what MS is doing - name one MS product that doesn't require
> the entire MS stack to get full advantage of.
>
>
> > > > Well, the MS stuff comes first alphabetically. :-) Active Directory
> > comes before eDirectory, Microsoft comes before Novell. A lot of the
> > docs I see take this approach which then doesn't give any preferential
> > treatment to any technology. It just uses the alphabet.> >
>
> Well, change the approach! It should be the other way around, imo.
>
> > > > Not at all. We still have the products that made us great, we're
> > innovating new products, and we're making sure all of our products have
> > an increased scope to support Microsoft, Novell, even Google
> > environments. This strategy allows us to support existing customers
> > while also bringing back former ones.> >
>
> Having the red N tatooed on my forehead :) I really hope the current
> strategy works out!


--
Simeonof
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simeonof's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1373
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=481062

boblmartens
05-Mar-2015, 15:06
I hear you loud and clear. I'm holding my own here at work every time
someone mentions that we should just "move everything to Microsoft" ...
it helps that I need to mention we would need to pay thousands upon
thousands more to replace all of the systems we have using open source
tech as well.


--
boblmartens
------------------------------------------------------------------------
boblmartens's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=152516
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=481062

Alex Warmerdam
20-Mar-2015, 20:30
On Thu, 05 Mar 2015 14:06:01 GMT, boblmartens
<boblmartens@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>
> I hear you loud and clear. I'm holding my own here at work every time
> someone mentions that we should just "move everything to Microsoft" ...
> it helps that I need to mention we would need to pay thousands upon
> thousands more to replace all of the systems we have using open source
> tech as well.

I had the pleasure to do some extensive things with a new product
around the block and was really surprised how well it did act as an AD
domain controller replacement. And the biggest advantage, it's
available in open and closedsource :) and will be in sles someday.
At that point, products like IDM, Windows server 2012r2/2016 aren't
needed any more. The only reason you will need those servers is if you
need MSSQL or Sharepoint and the lot. MS luckly has stopped the path
of OWA and is getting back on activesync while Novell just picks up
that path.

The future, well hold on, if resources will be made available the
roadmap for Novell will be easy one :D

kjhurni
20-Mar-2015, 20:56
Alex Warmerdam;2350618 Wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Mar 2015 14:06:01 GMT, boblmartens
> <boblmartens@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
>
> >
> > I hear you loud and clear. I'm holding my own here at work every time
> > someone mentions that we should just "move everything to Microsoft"
> ...
> > it helps that I need to mention we would need to pay thousands upon
> > thousands more to replace all of the systems we have using open
> source
> > tech as well.
>
> I had the pleasure to do some extensive things with a new product
> around the block and was really surprised how well it did act as an AD
> domain controller replacement. And the biggest advantage, it's
> available in open and closedsource :) and will be in sles someday.
> At that point, products like IDM, Windows server 2012r2/2016 aren't
> needed any more. The only reason you will need those servers is if you
> need MSSQL or Sharepoint and the lot.

Practically everything MS makes needs/wants an MS SQL server.
Sharepoint will continue to be pushed (by MS) to the O365/subscription
model rather than on-prem.
My experience has been that most place with 500 or more that are "MS"
shops have Sharepoint and SCCM and thus have SQL Server since that's
required by both. Throw in MS ELA agreement and there's little need for
anyone to use a third-party "AD" when it's included in their core stuff
along with SQL/Sharepoint/SCCM for a fraction of what Novell would/does
charge.


--
The opinions expressed are my own.
Check out my OES2 Guides:
Installing OES2 SP2:
http://www.novell.com/communities/node/11600/oes2-sp2-installation-guide
Upgrading to OES2 with ID Transfer:
http://www.novell.com/communities/node/11601/oes2-sp2-migration-guide-transfer-id-scenarios
GroupWise Migration with OES2 ID Transfer:
http://www.novell.com/communities/node/11602/groupwise-migration-netware-oes2-sp2-transfer-id
------------------------------------------------------------------------
kjhurni's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=734
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=481062

Alex Warmerdam
20-Mar-2015, 22:49
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 19:56:01 GMT, kjhurni
<kjhurni@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>
> Alex Warmerdam;2350618 Wrote:
> > On Thu, 05 Mar 2015 14:06:01 GMT, boblmartens
> > <boblmartens@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > I hear you loud and clear. I'm holding my own here at work every time
> > > someone mentions that we should just "move everything to Microsoft"
> > ...
> > > it helps that I need to mention we would need to pay thousands upon
> > > thousands more to replace all of the systems we have using open
> > source
> > > tech as well.
> >
> > I had the pleasure to do some extensive things with a new product
> > around the block and was really surprised how well it did act as an AD
> > domain controller replacement. And the biggest advantage, it's
> > available in open and closedsource :) and will be in sles someday.
> > At that point, products like IDM, Windows server 2012r2/2016 aren't
> > needed any more. The only reason you will need those servers is if you
> > need MSSQL or Sharepoint and the lot.
>
> Practically everything MS makes needs/wants an MS SQL server.
> Sharepoint will continue to be pushed (by MS) to the O365/subscription
> model rather than on-prem.
> My experience has been that most place with 500 or more that are "MS"
> shops have Sharepoint and SCCM and thus have SQL Server since that's
> required by both. Throw in MS ELA agreement and there's little need for
> anyone to use a third-party "AD" when it's included in their core stuff
> along with SQL/Sharepoint/SCCM for a fraction of what Novell would/does
> charge.

They are indeed trying to push everyone to the 'cloud'.
But some simple calculations where made:

For any user in a 100% microsoft enviroment you need:
Server licenses
CAL license just to access AD
Server licenses foor exchange server
license for exchange server
CAL's for accessing exchange server
Licenses for outlook for every device
Desktop licenses for every device

In a large non goverment business that will cost you at least 150 euro
per user per year (mail/cals/office/desktop and so on).

If you use a non Microsoft emulated AD enviroment, you can save half
those cost.

mathew35
28-Apr-2015, 20:16
"Is Novell just becoming another software company?"

I hate to say it, but the answer is yes.
If we are completely honest, Novell isn't Novell anymore. Novell was
sold and the stock was de-listed. Novell is just a brand now, it is not
(and never will be again) in control of it's future.
There are some wonderful people still working at Novell (Micro Focus,
Attachmate, Whatever), and I think they do fantastic work.

The real action is over at Suse..... but Suse isn't Suse anymore either.
The really interesting thing about them is, once Novell bought Suse,
they became something much better then before.
Why can't the same thing happen to Novell? Hope the brand gets bought by
someone who really understands and cares. Until then = it's just another
software company.


--
mathew35
------------------------------------------------------------------------
mathew35's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=5153
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=481062

tombott
11-Jun-2015, 11:36
Mary Wood;2343044 Wrote:
> A recent debacle here at my place of employ featured highly-paid SWINE
> (Someone Who Is Not Educated) claiming that "using Novell GroupWise
> going forward would be a burden because there's no 'interoperability' -
> all software that is being written now is being written for Microsoft."
> [/color]

Iíve just had a similar experience with a 3rd party consultancy firm
saying the same thing about our set-up, and that the legal industry as a
whole no longer uses Novell products. I've been told that no PMS / DMS
providers will work with Novell, full-stop. Thing is they had the
classic view that Novell was NetWare etc, no idea that Novell products
now run on various platforms and that the majority of our servers are
now Linux.
I'm now in the process of putting pricing together for all their
recommendations, i.e moving our entire setup to Microsoft. Costings so
far are at £300,000 and that doesn't include training costs yet either!

Now if I could just get Outlook 2013 and GroupWise talking to each
other.......


--
tombott
------------------------------------------------------------------------
tombott's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=52956
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=481062

Dave Howe
15-Jun-2015, 12:27
On 11/06/2015 11:36, tombott wrote:
> Now if I could just get Outlook 2013 and GroupWise talking to each
> other.......
I do miss the provider they had with GW7 so you could set up a profile
and access it via outlook. I had salesdroids who never knew they were on
GW....

Anders Gustafsson
23-Jun-2015, 13:57
Dave Howe,
> I do miss the provider they had with GW7 so you could set up a profile
> and access it via outlook.

You can do that with Mobility IIRC.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

Stevo
23-Jun-2015, 14:39
Anders Gustafsson sounds like they 'said':

> Dave Howe,
> > I do miss the provider they had with GW7 so you could set up a
> > profile and access it via outlook.
>
> You can do that with Mobility IIRC.

So my response to Anders's comment is...

Yes, you can, and if you have GW licensing, you get access to GMS
(Mobility) also.

--
Stevo

Dave Howe
25-Jun-2015, 16:28
On 23/06/2015 14:39, Stevo wrote:
> Anders Gustafsson sounds like they 'said':
>
>> Dave Howe,
>>> I do miss the provider they had with GW7 so you could set up a
>>> profile and access it via outlook.
>>
>> You can do that with Mobility IIRC.

Been a couple of years, but couldn't get the appointment free/busy
search stuff working with mobility. They may have fixed that since then
of course.

bpenris
21-Jul-2015, 04:36
Mary Wood;2343044 Wrote:
> A recent debacle here at my place of employ featured highly-paid SWINE
> (Someone Who Is Not Educated) claiming that "using Novell GroupWise
> going forward would be a burden because there's no 'interoperability' -
> all software that is being written now is being written for Microsoft."
>
> Can Novell compete with Microsoft?
No and they shouldn't want to. They've moved into different directions.
Micro Focus is to find the niches where it excels. The future is cloudy
though. MF has some tough decisions to make.


--
bpenris
------------------------------------------------------------------------
bpenris's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=7496
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=481062

Simeonof
25-Sep-2015, 16:46
Well, I think that was it. As it is written on the web site - Micro
Focus (formerly NOVELL) is focusing everything under its own brand,
which means Novell is history. Kind'a similar to what Oracle did to Sun.
I wonder if they're going to do the same with NetIQ. At least SUSE is
safe for the moment. For those of us who are not S.W.I.N.E and have been
involved with Novell technologies, education and the company itself for
many years, this is a sad moment.


--
Simeonof
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simeonof's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1373
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=481062