PDA

View Full Version : Creating a distro for ARM



adivix
27-Jan-2015, 02:06
Hello,

So I have ARM A9 board and I am trying to create a distro for it. Suse
Studio does not appear to support it and I was recommended to Kiwi but I
am a bit confused as where to start with Kiwi. Meaning what should I
download and initializing the process. I am doing this for an open
source digital signage project. If anyone can help me or guide me in the
right way that be great. The board I am using is: HummingBoard i2eX.


--
adivix
------------------------------------------------------------------------
adivix's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=91487
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=504652

hendersj
27-Jan-2015, 04:09
On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 01:06:02 +0000, adivix wrote:

> Hello,
>
> So I have ARM A9 board and I am trying to create a distro for it. Suse
> Studio does not appear to support it and I was recommended to Kiwi but I
> am a bit confused as where to start with Kiwi. Meaning what should I
> download and initializing the process. I am doing this for an open
> source digital signage project. If anyone can help me or guide me in the
> right way that be great. The board I am using is: HummingBoard i2eX.

What I'd probably do is use SUSE Studio to create a kiwi configuration
file, and then look through that to see what tweaks are needed to get an
ARM version built automatically.

The other option would be to run through the installation on the first
board and generate a kiwi file from that installation (I'm assuming
you're building more than one of these devices).

Jim
--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

adivix
27-Jan-2015, 05:36
Jim Henderson;2691489 Wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 01:06:02 +0000, adivix wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > So I have ARM A9 board and I am trying to create a distro for it. Suse
> > Studio does not appear to support it and I was recommended to Kiwi but
> I
> > am a bit confused as where to start with Kiwi. Meaning what should I
> > download and initializing the process. I am doing this for an open
> > source digital signage project. If anyone can help me or guide me in
> the
> > right way that be great. The board I am using is: HummingBoard i2eX.
>
> What I'd probably do is use SUSE Studio to create a kiwi configuration
> file, and then look through that to see what tweaks are needed to get an
> ARM version built automatically.
>
> The other option would be to run through the installation on the first
> board and generate a kiwi file from that installation (I'm assuming
> you're building more than one of these devices).
>
> Jim
> --
> Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
> Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

That is very helpful. But how do I run Kiwi script once I get the
installed distro the way I'd like it?


--
adivix
------------------------------------------------------------------------
adivix's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=91487
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=504652

hendersj
27-Jan-2015, 07:27
On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 04:36:01 +0000, adivix wrote:

> That is very helpful. But how do I run Kiwi script once I get the
> installed distro the way I'd like it?

https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:KIWI is probably the best starting place
for working with Kiwi.

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner