PDA

View Full Version : SLES 11 SP4 sap hana b1 and HP ML350 G9 Server



peter_jordan2
06-Oct-2015, 12:39
Hello,

we would like to use SAP HANA b1 and SLES 11 with a new HP ML350 Generation 9 8 cpu core Server.

I know, that SAP HANA b1 "has a special" SLESS 11 Edition as far as I know. I am not sure. Or is it simply a new standard SLESS 11 and SAP HANA B1 is simply installed?

I know, that SAP HANA has a embedded SLESS Enterprise.

Do you think there is danger / risk in buying the HP Hardware wrong parts?

best regards

Automatic reply
12-Oct-2015, 05:30
peter,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your issue been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://www.suse.com/support and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other support options available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.suse.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.suse.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your SUSE Forums Team
http://forums.suse.com

smflood
12-Oct-2015, 10:47
On 06/10/2015 12:44, peter jordan2 wrote:

> we would like to use SAP HANA b1 and SLES 11 with a new HP ML350
> Generation 9 8 cpu core Server.

From
http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/exceptions/sles_exceptions.aspx
SLES12 and SLES11 SP3 are the minimum supported SUSE versions for ML350
Gen9 with the latter requiring a SLES11 SP3 kISO available from
https://drivers.suse.com/hp/HP-ProLiant-Gen9/

> I know, that SAP HANA b1 "has a special" SLESS 11 Edition as far as I
> know. I am not sure. Or is it simply a new standard SLESS 11 and SAP
> HANA B1 is simply installed?

SUSE produced a packaged and supported release of SLES for SAP
Applications for each release of "regular" SLES.

> I know, that SAP HANA has a embedded SLESS Enterprise.

Not so much "embedded" but optimised version of SUSE Linux Enterprise
specifically for SAP.

> Do you think there is danger / risk in buying the HP Hardware wrong
> parts?

From the link to the kISO I included above "All support and
optimizations for HP ProLiant Gen9 systems have been integrated into
Service Pack 4 of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11. An installation kit
is not required; simply use the standard Service Pack 4 installtion
media." so I would download and use the ISO for SUSE Linux Enterprise
for SAP Applications 11 SP4 available from
https://download.suse.com/Download?buildid=bveY6uSg_P8~

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

smflood
12-Oct-2015, 10:50
On 12/10/2015 10:47, Simon Flood wrote:

> From the link to the kISO I included above "All support and
> optimizations for HP ProLiant Gen9 systems have been integrated into
> Service Pack 4 of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11. An installation kit
> is not required; simply use the standard Service Pack 4 installtion
> media." so I would download and use the ISO for SUSE Linux Enterprise
> for SAP Applications 11 SP4 available from
> https://download.suse.com/Download?buildid=bveY6uSg_P8~

PS whilst this is the correct place for asking hardware-related
questions please note that there is a dedicated forum for SLE for SAP
Applications @
https://forums.suse.com/forumdisplay.php?41-SLES-SAP-Applications should
you have SLE+SAP related issues.

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

on1zuka
31-May-2016, 07:42
On 06/10/2015 12:44, peter jordan2 wrote:

> we would like to use SAP HANA b1 and SLES 11 with a new HP ML350
> Generation 9 8 cpu core Server.

From
http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/exceptions/sles_exceptions.aspx
SLES12 and SLES11 SP3 are the minimum supported SUSE versions for ML350
Gen9 with the latter requiring a SLES11 SP3 kISO available from
https://drivers.suse.com/hp/HP-ProLiant-Gen9/

> I know, that SAP HANA b1 "has a special" SLESS 11 Edition as far as I
> know. I am not sure. Or is it simply a new standard SLESS 11 and SAP
> HANA B1 is simply installed?

SUSE produced a packaged and supported release of SLES for SAP
Applications for each release of "regular" SLES.

> I know, that SAP HANA has a embedded SLESS Enterprise.

Not so much "embedded" but optimised version of SUSE Linux Enterprise
specifically for SAP.

> Do you think there is danger / risk in buying the HP Hardware wrong
> parts?

From the link to the kISO I included above "All support and
optimizations for HP ProLiant Gen9 systems have been integrated into
Service Pack 4 of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11. An installation kit
is not required; simply use the standard Service Pack 4 installtion
media." so I would download and use the ISO for SUSE Linux Enterprise
for SAP Applications 11 SP4 available from
https://download.suse.com/Download?buildid=bveY6uSg_P8~

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Simon,
I'm too trying to install SLES b1 HANA 11 SP4 to HP DL380 Gen9
but I Cannot boot up the image burn on CD, it said, repositories not found
I have tried to load first the 'Bootable Driver Kit for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP3 - (AMD64/Intel64)' and then load the disk, but it's the same
https://drivers.suse.com/hp/HP-ProLiant-Gen9/

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww206/agnezlicious/image010.jpg
http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww206/agnezlicious/image011.jpg
http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww206/agnezlicious/image012.jpg

jmozdzen
31-May-2016, 11:25
Hi on1zuka,




> I'm too trying to install SLES b1 HANA 11 SP4

I noticed that your screen shot reads "insert disk 1 of installation media of SLES11SP3"... not SP4, which Simon said to have all the required drivers.

Are you booting from SLES11SP4 installation media?

Regards,
Jens

hvdheuvel
07-Jun-2016, 13:30
On Tue, 31 May 2016 10:34:01 +0000, jmozdzen wrote:


Hi onlzuka,


>> I'm too trying to install SLES b1 HANA 11 SP4
>
> I noticed that your screen shot reads "insert disk 1 of installation
> media of SLES11SP3"... not SP4, which Simon said to have all the
> required drivers.
>
> Are you booting from SLES11SP4 installation media?
>
> Regards,
> Jens

I have a customer that reported the same problem installing a fresh SLES11
SP3 installation on the same hardware. The model apparently has a new
Smart Array P840 controller.

What *should* be working, is that you *boot* from the
hp_proliant_gen9-sle12-x86_64-1.0.iso which is available here [1].
This is not working well on this model, and is what the bug is about.


The workaround my other customer used, is using the ┬┤intelligent
provisioning┬┤ option available to teh iLO of that model Proliant.

You can than provision the SLES iso there, and install SLES with the
required drivers which than seem to be coming from a driver repository
that comes with the server : file:///driverupdate.

Apparently using this work-around type method allows you to install the
SLES OS.

If you do have the ability to open a SR with SUSE technical support, than
please do so, ask for me, and please work with me on resolving this
properly.

Best regards
Hans

[1] https://drivers.suse.com/hp/HP-ProLiant-Gen9/