PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome



John Games
22-Mar-2012, 20:42
It would be nice to have the Chrome browser like the rest of the world on
SLED 11 SP2

ab
22-Mar-2012, 21:47
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Have you tried adding it? I seem to recall seeing a thread about this
recently (Chrome on SLED) but do not remember for sure. I would imagine
it works, since I am able to get it installed on OpenSUSE without any
trouble.

Good luck.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.18 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJPa4/KAAoJEF+XTK08PnB5cv0QAJ4P71MNjcStKKilz4X0WbJT
vfJCRRsbe+Cp5v5S5+Qfny2e/WPvzWqG4cdROCM7vuIMEa8HSogBaIKwRDvnofv8
SbUHJ4JpBMF1DAQChkey11MSFT73itpUGnUsJ6kU3u9REnRkWk HYspdZauKkHg7H
lqahRgPP/wAXmKL7YvF+M/gw3ELI8T8NTWNskQth5hPH9Eog3FozBYrRe56PyPm2
UtV24lw/xAy7Dy2OhbNRZYWeZezMQ6/3KhhfjjHFx99ZwskwnKI5mbvEjCL6hHDB
UK3qXEf8SGDGAGdW8pqsoaLTd/v++aN03ZJLyoVrs1odPvGHkENQ6a/575lT6mdA
eogVYJKUliaPMd+RKNeqjWMgLXxtj6O2itIs9F6L0MXZYycJJr nRqTm5XAIcy7P9
Sl5eIpp3bGtiNO4VZQau2UNmHufJ4stzv7xVmOX2UqAGthMaOS aydYYeGm7Cqudx
+EBirJOWnGlUoobkNoyzAJ5CK4gIWgNkoGall/hYoMZvRyx7Bpmau7THoSILKFR2
E6REpld34HodfxQ1mGgAaMqKC3q9b6gaVti+DwmFTWr+rhhJOl K7BsHvGpDTCcbH
THJ/Qys75r4FvDgTsH5KYGd0gm9RdZ55I/ywbW0xYaqP2hOX15qvO+aB1Q6WPzqo
dGcYZMnFH5HFeaWyZxF8
=ANnY
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

John Games
22-Mar-2012, 22:17
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 20:47:06 +0000, ab wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Have you tried adding it? I seem to recall seeing a thread about this
> recently (Chrome on SLED) but do not remember for sure. I would imagine
> it works, since I am able to get it installed on OpenSUSE without any
> trouble.
>
> Good luck.
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v2.0.18 (GNU/Linux)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
>
> iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJPa4/KAAoJEF+XTK08PnB5cv0QAJ4P71MNjcStKKilz4X0WbJT
> vfJCRRsbe+Cp5v5S5+Qfny2e/WPvzWqG4cdROCM7vuIMEa8HSogBaIKwRDvnofv8
> SbUHJ4JpBMF1DAQChkey11MSFT73itpUGnUsJ6kU3u9REnRkWk HYspdZauKkHg7H
> lqahRgPP/wAXmKL7YvF+M/gw3ELI8T8NTWNskQth5hPH9Eog3FozBYrRe56PyPm2
> UtV24lw/xAy7Dy2OhbNRZYWeZezMQ6/3KhhfjjHFx99ZwskwnKI5mbvEjCL6hHDB
> UK3qXEf8SGDGAGdW8pqsoaLTd/v++aN03ZJLyoVrs1odPvGHkENQ6a/575lT6mdA
> eogVYJKUliaPMd+RKNeqjWMgLXxtj6O2itIs9F6L0MXZYycJJr nRqTm5XAIcy7P9
> Sl5eIpp3bGtiNO4VZQau2UNmHufJ4stzv7xVmOX2UqAGthMaOS aydYYeGm7Cqudx
> +EBirJOWnGlUoobkNoyzAJ5CK4gIWgNkoGall/hYoMZvRyx7Bpmau7THoSILKFR2
> E6REpld34HodfxQ1mGgAaMqKC3q9b6gaVti+DwmFTWr+rhhJOl K7BsHvGpDTCcbH
> THJ/Qys75r4FvDgTsH5KYGd0gm9RdZ55I/ywbW0xYaqP2hOX15qvO+aB1Q6WPzqo
> dGcYZMnFH5HFeaWyZxF8
> =ANnY
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

../google-chrome
../google-chrome: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available
(required by ./google-chrome)
../google-chrome: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available
(required by ./google-chrome)
Segmentation fault

Chrome hasn't worked since version 12, current version 17.

mikewillis
22-Mar-2012, 23:01
I think there might have been a thread on the subject of Google Chrome no longer working on SLED, but if there was then it seems to be gone now along with the all the other posts that for whatever reason were not preserved when the SLED forum was moved from forums.novell.com to forums.suse.com. (Everything prior to August 2011 seems to have been lost in the move. No idea why.)

Anyway, as of version 13 Google Chrome started to require newer versions of various libraries than were in SLED. This hasn't changed in SLED 11 SP2. If you really, really, want Google Chrome on SLED then I think your best bet figure out which libraries it requires newer versions of, build them source in to their own location and run Google Chrome in a wrapper which sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include them. Way back in 2008 I got Firefox 3 working on SLED 10 by doing that.

ab
22-Mar-2012, 23:31
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

So that first dependency comes from my 'zlib' package on OpenSUSE. zlib
1.2.5 is available here:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/11.4:/Update/standard

Let the dependency-finding begin. :-)

Here's another idea; if you can e-mail me SSH access to a box I can try
to work through a few rounds of this for you. I just do not have a SLED
box setup for testing.

Good luck.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.18 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJPa6hRAAoJEF+XTK08PnB5jsIP/2uLO/BgGvhKLW6dm6WQfIHG
APhebPIS1yBmAjoPzZ8SDpsHmRPXimaFbQimWPkEWcPxBmP4nX vIhCMcTlzpXC8D
QhNkxU+bmB9tBxDzC9kxUFyiZjT0wFGpjBOh3+atx3TFMot0uv llAfN0jGeM0wxB
ykDZMsP40r9E8ESmmvug6SI107ASm8G5piHj6hZVblJz1X+c/oBE46GvEyVB3hFB
NSAL/+jBMzbKg2Szo5oAPX/7/zE1shKqvUCRc/Cu6NgvA3QpP8RvtyyXXDTpB/L4
maWPJ4Az3bz04BCmaWQ+gh7qUhSNpXsBqbS+RnOMKLPlR2V2Tq HQLP1z68VIOSMP
jWsr0mkKdE8NTGDHkD1tZoFrBZgCkL7RKbA/C+Iw91aSb6R7b9bVeQ9OGGc9T0V5
Zm3zwxVjWRi/nb/MLZjdALf+qQyfEHAnBkuS9SEeQI8PbwgjCP9NFVTzj/cJ3XoF
Ye4ONd3xFU8zS7hHJ7/WXet/bxSdjL8Q4GNCeykQapR/5OpI+GpD39/psHCCanOo
d99yYUut/DjvEA8Zm3pTjFCV+dQZKInbxv7cHDoQ1B8dLSfL9zv8k5IUZ01 95Vv4
m8XzVTWUioMOIT3rsGjw8UEjftI5hIul/0+YRdUP0Yd0eLUjQKN8ymmABmIZFutr
EZFQJXg7INsRPiDCa4/w
=Fllv
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

malcolmlewis
23-Mar-2012, 00:00
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

So that first dependency comes from my 'zlib' package on OpenSUSE. zlib
1.2.5 is available here:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/11.4:/Update/standard

Let the dependency-finding begin. :-)

Here's another idea; if you can e-mail me SSH access to a box I can try
to work through a few rounds of this for you. I just do not have a SLED
box setup for testing.

Good luck.

Hi
A softlink works to the existing working directory eg for x86_64;


libbz2.so.1.0 -> /lib64/libbz2.so.1

ln -snf /lib64/libbz2.so.1 libbz2.so.1.0

This is with iron-browser, however it still segfaults in SLE, works
fine in openSUSE 12.1

Plus I already have zlib built against SP2 ;)
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=zlib&project=home%3Amalcolmlewis%3ASLE_11_SPn_General

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.13-0.27-default
up 8:52, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.05
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

John Games
23-Mar-2012, 15:01
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 23:00:49 +0000, malcolmlewis wrote:

>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1
>
> So that first dependency comes from my 'zlib' package on OpenSUSE. zlib
> 1.2.5 is available here:
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/11.4:/Update/
standard
>
> Let the dependency-finding begin. :-)
>
> Here's another idea; if you can e-mail me SSH access to a box I can try
> to work through a few rounds of this for you. I just do not have a SLED
> box setup for testing.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Hi
> A softlink works to the existing working directory eg for x86_64;

> libbz2.so.1.0 -> /lib64/libbz2.so.1
>
> ln -snf /lib64/libbz2.so.1 libbz2.so.1.0
> This is with iron-browser, however it still segfaults in SLE, works fine
> in openSUSE 12.1
>
> Plus I already have zlib built against SP2 ;)
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=zlib&project=home%
3Amalcolmlewis%3ASLE_11_SPn_General

SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 interoperates with your existing systems
and allows you to easily leverage your IT investments. It was designed to
coexist with Windows, Mac, UNIX and other operating systems. That's why
SUSE Linux Enterprise is the most interoperable Linux desktop available
today.

My point is, I shouldn't have to be a programmer to get a browser which
is readily available on other platforms to work on this platform.

malcolmlewis
23-Mar-2012, 16:13
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 23:00:49 +0000, malcolmlewis
wrote:

>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1
>
> So that first dependency comes from my 'zlib' package on OpenSUSE.
> zlib 1.2.5 is available here:
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/11.4:/Update/
standard
>
> Let the dependency-finding begin. :-)
>
> Here's another idea; if you can e-mail me SSH access to a box I can
> try to work through a few rounds of this for you. I just do not have
> a SLED box setup for testing.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Hi
> A softlink works to the existing working directory eg for x86_64;
>
libbz2.so.1.0 -> /lib64/libbz2.so.1
>
> ln -snf /lib64/libbz2.so.1 libbz2.so.1.0
> This is with iron-browser, however it still segfaults in SLE, works
> fine in openSUSE 12.1
>
> Plus I already have zlib built against SP2 ;)
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=zlib&project=home%
3Amalcolmlewis%3ASLE_11_SPn_General

SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 interoperates with your existing
systems and allows you to easily leverage your IT investments. It was
designed to coexist with Windows, Mac, UNIX and other operating
systems. That's why SUSE Linux Enterprise is the most interoperable
Linux desktop available today.

My point is, I shouldn't have to be a programmer to get a browser
which is readily available on other platforms to work on this
platform.
Hi
AFAIK, the developers don't want to support it, so not alot one can
do....
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=93054#c9

Have you tried wine with the latest version?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.13-0.27-default
up 1 day 1:12, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.03, 0.05
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

sharfuddin
26-Mar-2012, 08:34
../google-chrome
../google-chrome: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available
(required by ./google-chrome)
../google-chrome: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available
(required by ./google-chrome)
Segmentation fault
I got the same errors while trying to install the 64 bit Chrome 17.
just installed 32 bit version of chrome 17 atop my SLED 11 SP2 x864 ;)

John Games
26-Mar-2012, 22:28
On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 07:34:02 +0000, sharfuddin wrote:

>> ../google-chrome
>> ../google-chrome: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available
>> (required by ./google-chrome)
>> ../google-chrome: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available
>> (required by ./google-chrome)
>> Segmentation fault
> I got the same errors while trying to install the 64 bit Chrome 17. just
> installed 32 bit version of chrome 17 atop my SLED 11 SP2 x864 ;)

Thank you very much for that insight, worked like a charm!

John Games
04-Apr-2012, 18:08
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 19:42:57 +0000, John Games wrote:

> It would be nice to have the Chrome browser like the rest of the world
> on SLED 11 SP2

Chrome beats IE on any given Sunday
Users are increasingly turning to Chrome on their home machines, even if
they're still required to use IE on their work machines during the week.
Read More