PDA

View Full Version : SLES 11 SP4 Segmentation Fault

silentlenn
14-Oct-2016, 20:10
Within the past week I am all of a sudden getting "Segmentation Fault" when I run zypper up.

If I disable all repositories, no problem.

I have tried various things:

zypper refresh-services -r OR zypper ref -s
Refreshing service 'nu_novell_com'.
Segmentation fault

zypper ref
Segmenation fault

Thoughts?

ab
14-Oct-2016, 21:06
Since that should NEVER happen, I'd probably try to find the repo that
causes the problem and then go from there Is it always the nu_novell_com
one that causes the fault? What if you add a normal ISO or something and
refresh from there?

Any updates recently that may be linked to this?

Which SLES version/SP are you running? Any other similar boxes, and if so
do they have the same issue?

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...

silentlenn
17-Oct-2016, 14:49
I am running SLES 11 SP4. I do have another box running SLES 11 SP4 which is able to update without issue.

Other than standard updates the only thing I am doing with this box is prepping it to be my primary GroupWise server so I have made some mounted connections to run the migration tool.

It definitely is an issue with the repositories but I am going to admit that I am definitely new to this level of Linux system management so though I know what you mean, I am not necessarily up to speed on how to accomplish what you are suggesting and with what. If I disable all repositories ZYPPER UP runs fine and of course returns "Nothing to Do"

What alternate repository should I use besides nu_novell? I have seen where you can go in and add repositories, but I am not confident that I am setting them up properly.

jmozdzen
17-Oct-2016, 15:07
Hi,

suggestion #1: run "ldconfig" once, before further testing zypper commands.

[...] If I disable all repositories ZYPPER UP runs fine and of course returns "Nothing to Do"

What alternate repository should I use besides nu_novell? I have seen where you can go in and add repositories, but I am not confident that I am setting them up properly.

suggestion #2, from ab: Don't disable *all* repositories, but one-by-one to see if it's a specific repos that causes the problem. Or re-enable one-by-one after disabling all.

As ab already said - this shouldn't happen at all, especially not caused by repos configuration/content. The one instance I've had such dubious symptoms was after a partial system update that caused an inconsistently cached library setup - which the applications themselves could do nothing about. Hence my suggestion to run "ldconfig", which regenerates that cache and links etc.

Regards,
J

silentlenn
17-Oct-2016, 15:43
Thanks.

Yes, I had tried each of the 4 (that match my other functioning machine) repositories on their own. Eventually I took it down to none and tested.

Per your suggestion I took the following steps:
- enabled 1 repository
- ran LDCONFIG (I used lower case, but capped it here for clarity)
- ran zypper up
- segmentation fault
- repeated all steps for the next working repository per my other SLES SP4 machine

jmozdzen
18-Oct-2016, 15:42
Too bad this didn't work out.

Depending on how much of your own time you want to spend on hunting this down, you can either verify the installed packages (rpm -Vall) or possibly open a service request.

Regards,
J