PDA

View Full Version : Re: Survey for owners of HP Laptop/Desktop/Netbook with SLED



Leinad965
18-Sep-2011, 16:56
Hi.

I would have liked notebook with preloaded linux, because I like linux
user interface. Gnome is for me better than Windows UI. Copying with
mouse, virtual desktops, window always on top setting, compiz negative
effect, window scrolling without clicking in window and other good
functions. Unfortunately I have problems with HW in linux often and
therefore I looking for notebook with preinstalled linux, because I
thought, that it will be fully functional out of the box. And I found
only Acer with Linpus linux (which is often only console without
graphics enviroment) and HP with SUSE Linux. I believed, that SUSE will
be good because it focus on enterprises and enterprises need good
professional system.
But I am dissapointed. I have issues with ATI graphics card, with intel
integrated graphics and with wifi (wifi is solved/workarounded with new
router). It is sad, that if there was fully functional synaptic touchpad
in newer linux, I would use openSUSE, because has fewer problems.


--
Leinad965
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leinad965's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=97023
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=444140

Arnaudk93
18-Sep-2011, 17:26
Leinad965;2138386 Wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I would have liked notebook with preloaded linux, because I like linux
> user interface. Gnome is for me better than Windows UI. Copying with
> mouse, virtual desktops, window always on top setting, compiz negative
> effect, window scrolling without clicking in window and other good
> functions. Unfortunately I have problems with HW in linux often and
> therefore I looking for notebook with preinstalled linux, because I
> thought, that it will be fully functional out of the box. And I found
> only Acer with Linpus linux (which is often only console without
> graphics enviroment) and HP with SUSE Linux. I believed, that SUSE will
> be good because it focus on enterprises and enterprises need good
> professional system.
> But I am dissapointed. I have issues with ATI graphics card, with intel
> integrated graphics and with wifi (wifi is solved/workarounded with new
> router). It is sad, that if there was fully functional synaptic touchpad
> in newer linux, I would use openSUSE, because has fewer problems.

Hi !

Your router problem has been sent to the support team. As you found a
workaround, the issue is no longer under investigation. Do you want to
escalate it ?
The ATI problem was replicated, and is definitely a SuSE problem. I
will inform the forum users once the problem is solved.
As for your intel problem, I don't think I have raised any issue to the
HP support team. Could you please give me details in Private Message so
I will be able to create a new case ?

Thanks,

Arnaud


--
Arnaudk93
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arnaudk93's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=91595
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=444140

Leinad965
18-Sep-2011, 17:56
Hi

New router workaround is good solution for me and is not necessary
reopen the issue.
I have different problem with ATI graphics. I will send problem
description as private message to you.

Thank you,
Daniel


Arnaudk93;2138390 Wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Your router problem has been sent to the support team. As you found a
> workaround, the issue is no longer under investigation. Do you want to
> escalate it ?
> The ATI problem was replicated, and is definitely a SuSE problem. I
> will inform the forum users once the problem is solved.
> As for your intel problem, I don't think I have raised any issue to the
> HP support team. Could you please give me details in Private Message so
> I will be able to create a new case ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arnaud


--
Leinad965
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leinad965's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=97023
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=444140

cjmeyer
22-Sep-2011, 09:56
Hi folks,

I bought a HP Probook 6460b with Windows 7 pre-installed. HP is
supporting Linux (Suse) on this laptop. That's why i thougt that this
would be a good choice.
After installing SLED11, i was not able to connect to the internet at
all.
No device is available, no Wired (ethernet), no WLAN.
So i was not able to connect to internet and

That is strange...under the Windows7, which is still running,
everything is okay.
I tried the drivers from the HP Linux support pages (for Suse), no
difference.

I made a new Installation OpenSuse 11.4.
Well, at least the Ethernet is working and i can connect to the
internet.

The devices are a HP hs 2340 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband and an Intel Device
1503 Ethernet Controller.Checking the installed software, it is said the
Broadcom drivers are installed...

So, as a HP Laptop user, i must say, i am not very pleased. First I had
the problem with the preinstalled Window, which took 4 partition on the
harddisk to avoid installation of another OS, now the problem with the
Wlan device....

Does anyone know how to find the right drivers and how to install them
??

Thanks a lot
CJMeyer


--
cjmeyer
------------------------------------------------------------------------
cjmeyer's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=117080
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=444140

AlexDudko
22-Sep-2011, 10:36
cjmeyer;2139791 Wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I bought a HP Probook 6460b with Windows 7 pre-installed. HP is
> supporting Linux (Suse) on this laptop. That's why i thougt that this
> would be a good choice.
> After installing SLED11, i was not able to connect to the internet at
> all.
> No device is available, no Wired (ethernet), no WLAN.
> So i was not able to connect to internet and
>
> That is strange...under the Windows7, which is still running,
> everything is okay.
> I tried the drivers from the HP Linux support pages (for Suse), no
> difference.
>
> I made a new Installation OpenSuse 11.4.
> Well, at least the Ethernet is working and i can connect to the
> internet.
>
> The devices are a HP hs 2340 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband and an Intel Device
> 1503 Ethernet Controller.Checking the installed software, it is said the
> Broadcom drivers are installed...
>
> So, as a HP Laptop user, i must say, i am not very pleased. First I had
> the problem with the preinstalled Window, which took 4 partition on the
> harddisk to avoid installation of another OS, now the problem with the
> Wlan device....
>
> Does anyone know how to find the right drivers and how to install them
> ??
>
> Thanks a lot
> CJMeyer

This thread covers actually only OEM (which stands for "original
equipment manufacture") SLED installations. That is HP rebrands the
product and adds there some their features not available in usual
distribution, warranty and support to the product. HP doesn't support
not OEM SLED as far as I know.
SLED itself is a commercial distribution that is you have to purchase
their license and register the product first.
About the wifi device driver: run
lspci | grep Network
as root to find out which device you have. After that search for the
driver. It may occur that you'll need to build the driver yourself, for
that purpose additional development packages will be needed.


--
AlexDudko
------------------------------------------------------------------------
AlexDudko's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=100476
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=444140

AlexDudko
22-Sep-2011, 19:46
To* Arnaudk93*
Please clean your private messages because you have exceeded their
stored quota and cannot accept further messages!
That's why I respond here:
YaST procedure: YaST -> Software -> Online Update -> wait while
repositories are refreshed -> Apply.
I *did* write something that it wasn't the case on all laptops. But
still there was an issue. At the moment I can't reproduce it myself. It
could be due to some Novell's patches (maybe the kernel which was used
at that time - the new one doesn't cause the issue).


--
AlexDudko
------------------------------------------------------------------------
AlexDudko's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=100476
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=444140