PDA

View Full Version : SLES 12 SP2 WLAN Device (RTL8191SU) not recognised



Hoppala
08-Jun-2017, 12:22
Hello !

I just installed SLES 12SP2 with a WLAN Stick connected (it's a Hercules HWNUm-300 with a Realtek RTL8191 chipset) but the stick was neither recogised while installation nor from the installed OS.
Maybe "recognised" is the wrong term because the usb device is present: (that is what hwinfo displays)
09: USB 00.0: 0000 Unclassified device
[Created at usb.122]
Unique ID: xJ63.YjpqvwdxcU1
Parent ID: ADDn.4Nx_qoDfSd7
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.6/1-1.6:1.0
SysFS BusID: 1-1.6:1.0
Hardware Class: unknown
Model: "Guillemot Hercules HWNUm-300 Wireless N mini [Realtek RTL8191SU]"
Hotplug: USB
Vendor: usb 0x06f8 "Guillemot Corp."
Device: usb 0xe031 "Hercules HWNUm-300 Wireless N mini [Realtek RTL8191SU]"
Revision: "2.00"
Serial ID: "00e04c000001"
Speed: 480 Mbps
Module Alias: "usb:v06F8pE031d0200dc00dsc00dp00icFFiscFFipFFin00"
Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #14 (Hub)

But there is no entry in Yasts network configuration menue for that adapter.

I checked the WLAN stick with an openSuse Leap 42.2 machine with no problems.

Please advise.

Best regards,
Uwe Andersen

malcolmlewis
08-Jun-2017, 12:42
Hi and welcome to the Forum :)
Have you checked the output from dmesg or journalctl for the actual error.

Some devices need firmware, have you checked that the kernel-firmware package is installed?

malcolmlewis
08-Jun-2017, 12:57
Hi
OK, it's the r8712u module which is still in the staging kernel location for openSUSE Leap 42.2, so it would need to be built as an unsupported kmp for SLE.

Hoppala
08-Jun-2017, 13:02
That is the output from dmesg:
[ 3760.252590] usb 1-1.6: new high-speed USB device number 15 using ehci-pci
[ 3760.347657] usb 1-1.6: New USB device found, idVendor=06f8, idProduct=e031
[ 3760.347661] usb 1-1.6: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 3760.347663] usb 1-1.6: Product: RTL8191S WLAN Adapter
[ 3760.347665] usb 1-1.6: Manufacturer: Manufacturer Realtek
[ 3760.347666] usb 1-1.6: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001


And "Yes", kernel-firmware is installed.

Hoppala
08-Jun-2017, 13:06
Sorry, but what does that mean? (I'm not really used to Linux...)

malcolmlewis
08-Jun-2017, 13:34
Sorry, but what does that mean? (I'm not really used to Linux...)
Hi
The kernel module to driver the wireless card is not part of the SLES kernel, so one way is to build the kernel module by itself from the kernel source.

I normally build as an rpm for easy install/uninstall, but it needs rebuilding for every kernel update...

However this will taint the kernel so while the driver (kernel module) is present if you have an issue and wish to raise a service request it may not be accepted.... so what you would have to do is remove the module and duplicate your issue for the SR without this module present.

smflood
08-Jun-2017, 13:42
On 08/06/17 12:24, Hoppala wrote:

> I just installed SLES 12SP2 with a WLAN Stick connected (it's a Hercules
> HWNUm-300 with a Realtek RTL8191 chipset) but the stick was neither
> recogised while installation nor from the installed OS.
> Maybe "recognised" is the wrong term because the usb device is present:
> (that is what hwinfo displays)
> -09: USB 00.0: 0000 Unclassified device
> [Created at usb.122]
> Unique ID: xJ63.YjpqvwdxcU1
> Parent ID: ADDn.4Nx_qoDfSd7
> SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.6/1-1.6:1.0
> SysFS BusID: 1-1.6:1.0
> Hardware Class: unknown
> Model: "Guillemot Hercules HWNUm-300 Wireless N mini [Realtek
> RTL8191SU]"
> Hotplug: USB
> Vendor: usb 0x06f8 "Guillemot Corp."
> Device: usb 0xe031 "Hercules HWNUm-300 Wireless N mini [Realtek
> RTL8191SU]"
> Revision: "2.00"
> Serial ID: "00e04c000001"
> Speed: 480 Mbps
> Module Alias: "usb:v06F8pE031d0200dc00dsc00dp00icFFiscFFipFFin00"
> Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
> Attached to: #14 (Hub)-
>
> But there is no entry in Yasts network configuration menue for that
> adapter.
>
> I checked the WLAN stick with an openSuse Leap 42.2 machine with no
> problems.

Is there a particular reason why you're using SLES12 SP2? If it works
with openSUSE Leap 42.2 why not use that?

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hoppala
08-Jun-2017, 13:50
Hello,

sounds that this will take me a considerable amount of time.
And time is money... ;)
Maybe a quicker solution would be to take a compatible WLAN stick.
Could you recommend an appropriate device?

Hoppala
08-Jun-2017, 13:55
The Leap version is my private machine at home, the SLES12 runs on a company server.

malcolmlewis
08-Jun-2017, 14:15
On Thu 08 Jun 2017 12:54:01 PM CDT, Hoppala wrote:

Hello,

sounds that this will take me a considerable amount of time.
And time is money... ;)
Maybe a quicker solution would be to take a compatible WLAN stick.
Could you recommend an appropriate device?




Hi
For sure ;) So what is the end goal for this device, remote access?
What hardware is this on?

A compatible USB stick is a hard one since they always seem to change
chips.... I would look for a USB device that runs the atheros chipset
and uses the ath9k driver.

The current drivers are in;


ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/


--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.62-18.6-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

smflood
08-Jun-2017, 15:24
On 08/06/17 14:04, Hoppala wrote:

> The Leap version is my private machine at home, the SLES12 runs on a
> company server.

So you want to connect the company server to the wireless network rather
than wired?!

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hoppala
08-Jun-2017, 17:49
It's only a interim solution until the wired network was installed, what takes another three weeks.

Hoppala
08-Jun-2017, 17:51
Unfortunately "yes". There is no wired network at the moment, it's under construction.

malcolmlewis
09-Jun-2017, 03:57
It's only a interim solution until the wired network was installed, what takes another three weeks.
Hi
Do you have an old router around that could run openWRT and be turned into a wireless bridge and connect to the ethernet port?