PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade SLES 11 SP4 to SLES 12 SP2 supported ?



runtang87
21-Sep-2017, 09:55
Hello,
I need to perform an SLES upgrade to support SAP HANA Database 2.0

I been researching if it possible to do a upgrade SLES 11 SP4 to SLES 12 SP2 but could not find any official reference that its do-able.
Reason for not going SLES SP3 is because SAP does not officially support it yet. Hence the decision to go with SLES 12 SP2 first.

From this diagram https://www.suse.com/documentation/sled-12/singlehtml/book_sle_deployment/images/upgrade-paths.png
& URL https://www.suse.com/documentation/sled-12/singlehtml/book_sle_deployment/book_sle_deployment.html#sec.update.sle.methods
there is SLES 11SP4 to SLES 12 SP3,

so my direct question is
Is SLES 11 SP4 to SLES 12 SP2 supported ?


Just to add more info,
-SAP supports both SLES 12 SP1 & SP2
-Current SLES version is SLES 11 SP4

Best regards,
Alex

smflood
21-Sep-2017, 11:33
On 21/09/17 10:04, runtang87 wrote:

> Hello,
> I need to perform an SLES upgrade to support SAP HANA Database 2.0
>
> I been researching if it possible to do a upgrade SLES 11 SP4 to SLES 12
> SP2 but could not find any official reference that its do-able.
> Reason for not going SLES SP3 is because SAP does not officially support
> it yet. Hence the decision to go with SLES 12 SP2 first.
>
> From this diagram [image:
> https://www.suse.com/documentation/sled-12/singlehtml/book_sle_deployment/images/upgrade-paths.png]
> & URL
> https://www.suse.com/documentation/sled-12/singlehtml/book_sle_deployment/book_sle_deployment.html#sec.update.sle.methods
> there is SLES 11SP4 to SLES 12 SP3,
>
> so my direct question is
> Is SLES 11 SP4 to SLES 12 SP2 supported ?

The short answer is yes.

The longer answer is that had you looked at the same documentation
before SLES12 SP3 was released it would have referenced SLES12 SP2 as
the final target but now SLES12 SP3 is available the documentation has
been revised.

> Just to add more info,
> -SAP supports both SLES 12 SP1 & SP2
> -Current SLES version is SLES 11 SP4

Please see
https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles-12/book_sle_deployment/data/cha_update_sle.html
for the upgrade options - since you are using SLES for SAP Applications
you need to make sure you're using the SLES for SAP
Applications-specific repos (as opposed to the regular SLES12-SP2-Pool
and -Update repos).

Oh and make sure you're using a valid SLES for SAP Applications
registration code as per TID 7018571[1].

HTH.

[1] https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=7018571
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

runtang87
25-Sep-2017, 08:20
On 21/09/17 10:04, runtang87 wrote:

> Hello,
> I need to perform an SLES upgrade to support SAP HANA Database 2.0
>
> I been researching if it possible to do a upgrade SLES 11 SP4 to SLES 12
> SP2 but could not find any official reference that its do-able.
> Reason for not going SLES SP3 is because SAP does not officially support
> it yet. Hence the decision to go with SLES 12 SP2 first.
>
> From this diagram [image:
> https://www.suse.com/documentation/sled-12/singlehtml/book_sle_deployment/images/upgrade-paths.png]
> & URL
> https://www.suse.com/documentation/sled-12/singlehtml/book_sle_deployment/book_sle_deployment.html#sec.update.sle.methods
> there is SLES 11SP4 to SLES 12 SP3,
>
> so my direct question is
> Is SLES 11 SP4 to SLES 12 SP2 supported ?

The short answer is yes.

The longer answer is that had you looked at the same documentation
before SLES12 SP3 was released it would have referenced SLES12 SP2 as
the final target but now SLES12 SP3 is available the documentation has
been revised.

> Just to add more info,
> -SAP supports both SLES 12 SP1 & SP2
> -Current SLES version is SLES 11 SP4

Please see
https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles-12/book_sle_deployment/data/cha_update_sle.html
for the upgrade options - since you are using SLES for SAP Applications
you need to make sure you're using the SLES for SAP
Applications-specific repos (as opposed to the regular SLES12-SP2-Pool
and -Update repos).

Oh and make sure you're using a valid SLES for SAP Applications
registration code as per TID 7018571[1].

HTH.

[1] https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=7018571
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks you for your input Simon. Cheers