SUSECON
  • Why can't I find updates for my third-party software?

A new user asked a very good question:
    How do I get Yast2 to look up a software package so I can upgrade? Specifically I am trying to upgrade from PostgreSQL 8.1 to 9.x. When I click 'Software Management' and search for 'postgres' it only shows me postgres 8.1, which is what I have already installed.

The SLES installation media contains a set of RPM's supplied by SUSE that are compatible with one another. When you install SLES, a repository is created that contains the RPM's from the installation media.

When you register your system and have current maintenance, additional repositories are created that contain patches and other updates.

When you run Yast Software Management, it looks in the repositories that have been created for your system. Those repositories contain RPM's that are supported by SUSE and are compatible with your system.

So, what do you do if you are looking for a particular RPM and it is not in one of your repositories? You can download the RPM and install it or your third-party vendor may provide their own repositories needed to support their software.

When you use the SUSE supplied repositories, everything (for the most part) just works. When you install third-party software you have to be aware of dependencies with other software installed on your system and it becomes your responsibility to ensure there are no incompatibilities.

--
    Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
    If you find this article helpful, let us know by giving it a rating above
    This article was originally published in forum thread: How do I register a software repository for updates? started by fredrated View original post