SLES 12/15 supported on Ryzen 3 ?

dobbe_dynniqdobbe_dynniq New or Quiet Member
Hi all,

Before ordering new hardware I would like to know the following:

Will SLES 12SP4 with latest updates run on the new Ryzen 3 series CPUs (such as the AMD 3900X) ?
If not, will SLES 15SP1 run on that CPU ?

thanks,
Winfried

Comments

• malcolmlewismalcolmlewis Knowledge Partner
    Hi all,

Before ordering new hardware I would like to know the following:

Will SLES 12SP4 with latest updates run on the new Ryzen 3 series CPUs (such as the AMD 3900X) ?
    If not, will SLES 15SP1 run on that CPU ?

thanks,
    Winfried
    Hi and welcome to the Forum :)
    A Ryzen 7 series should work with SLES 15 SP1 (kernel: 4.12.14-197.7-default), for the Ryzen 9 series would need to be a kernel >= 4.19.

I don't have a SLE 12 system around, what version kernel?
  • dobbe_dynniqdobbe_dynniq New or Quiet Member
    Hi and welcome to the Forum :)
    A Ryzen 7 series should work with SLES 15 SP1 (kernel: 4.12.14-197.7-default), for the Ryzen 9 series would need to be a kernel >= 4.19.

I don't have a SLE 12 system around, what version kernel?

Hi Malcom, thanks for your answer.

SLES12 SP4 is using kernel 4.12.14 (4.12.14-95.24.1) as well.
    As I am specifically looking at the upcoming AMD 3950X that would mean a newer kernel is necessary...
    What is the safest way to install that? Install from the http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/standard repository ?

thanks again,
    Winfried
  • malcolmlewismalcolmlewis Knowledge Partner
    Hi Malcom, thanks for your answer.

SLES12 SP4 is using kernel 4.12.14 (4.12.14-95.24.1) as well.
    As I am specifically looking at the upcoming AMD 3950X that would mean a newer kernel is necessary...
    What is the safest way to install that? Install from the http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/standard repository ?

thanks again,
    Winfried
    Hi
    Better to ask the SUSE folks if support is backported to the kernel in SP1 first, let me ping my contacts.