Hi,
We've been having issues with SLES 11 servers freezing/crashing/hanging intermittently. This has happened for almost a year now, and continues even though we've upgraded to SP1 and now to SP2.

Anyway, I've enabled Magic SysRq on all SLES 11 servers and configured kdump. The goal is to capture crash dumps via the console on unresponsive systems for further analysis.

I'm currently testing the crash dump combo on a SLES 11 SP2 VM. The console responds to Alt+SysRq+c, but then stops at a bash prompt - see screenshot at bottom of my post. The main errors I can see are:

Code:
/sbin/resume: error while loading shared libraries: libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
kdumptool:  error while loading shared libraries: libelf.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
However, both shared libs exist in library directories on the root partition, so I don't know why resume/kumptool can't find them. Must be something with the "resume" option of the kernel that I do not understand.

Code:
## libgcrypt
myhost:~ # whereis libgcrypt.so.11
libgcrypt.so: /lib/libgcrypt.so.11 /lib64/libgcrypt.so.11 /usr/lib64/libgcrypt.so /usr/local/lib/libgcrypt.so.11 /usr/local/lib/libgcrypt.so

myhost:~ # dir /lib/libgcrypt.so*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     19 Feb 29 11:17 /lib/libgcrypt.so.11 -> libgcrypt.so.11.7.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 545124 Jan 13 13:00 /lib/libgcrypt.so.11.7.0

## libelf
myhost:~ # whereis libelf.so.0
libelf.so: /usr/lib/libelf.so.1 /usr/lib/libelf.so.0 /usr/lib64/libelf.so.1 /usr/lib64/libelf.so.0 /usr/local/lib/libelf.so.0 /usr/local/lib/libelf.so

myhost:~ # dir /usr/lib/libelf.so*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    16 Mar  9  2011 /usr/lib/libelf.so.0 -> libelf.so.0.8.12
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 88312 May  5  2010 /usr/lib/libelf.so.0.8.12
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    25 Mar  9  2011 /usr/lib/libelf.so.1 -> /usr/lib/libelf.so.0.8.12

Any idea what the issue is here? There may be more informative messages higher up in the console, but I can't see them and not sure how to slow down the messages to capture them, or how dump them to a file. My VM is running on VMWare.

Screenshot: