Server info:

:/etc # uname -a
Linux srvrname 2.6.16.60-0.91.1-xen #1 SMP Tue Oct 18 21:40:25 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

:/etc # cat SuSE-release
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (i586)
VERSION = 10
PATCHLEVEL = 4
:/etc # cat novell-release
Novell Open Enterprise Server 2.0.3 (i586)
VERSION = 2.0.3
PATCHLEVEL = 3
BUILD

We're using Syncsort Backup Express 3.21, but the client has a bug where, when trying to run it's "detect" command, it won't run because it's own libraries are not in the path. The official fix is to issue this two commands:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/opt/backupexpress/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
(This doesn't survive a reboot, but I also found I could acheive the same result by simply appending "/opt/backupexpress/lib/" to the end of the /etc/ld.so.conf file and running ldconfig, which does survive a reboot. Again, on all other servers it's not an issue)

Sure enough, this command enables their detect command to run and report on attached SCSI devices.
On most of our SLES/OES servers, setting the library path is not an issue, but on this one box, it apparently completely replaces all other library paths! Nothing in X11 works after that. Trying to run yast2 results in screen after screen of "couldn't load or find library such and such errors. I have to issue a "unset /opt/backupexpress/lib" command to remove it from the path, then X works again.