Thread: Mount without root (fstab...)

Threaded View

Mount without root (fstab...)

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to edit the fstab where I will be able to mount shares without being the root user? I'm not sure if it's working after I reboot the VM . It should mount the shares automatically after reboot. I couldn't test it (respectively rebooting) because there are some developers who are working on the system.

my fstab is looking like this:

//myTest.intern/SAP_myTestPath /mnt/Alertlvl2 cifs credentials=/home/myTestUser/.cifscredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0
    //myTest.intern/SAP_myTestPath /mnt/Alertlvl3 cifs credentials=/home/myTestUser/.cifscredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0
    //myTest.intern/SAP_myTestPath /mnt/Alertlvl4 cifs credentials=/home/myTestUser/.cifscredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0

my .cifscredential is looking like:

uid=testUser,
    username=testUser,
    password=password1234,

Is it possible to do the automount without the root user? I found this in the net: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindows...al_permissions

The only way to realize this is the "sudo" thing. Like: sudo mount -a. A simply mount -a with my testUser isn't working without the root password.

So please can you provide me a solution for this problem? It should be mounting without asking me for the root password for my testUser it should take the password automatically from the credential file. I think I've to edit my .cifscredential but I dont know how. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Lordig; 20-Mar-2018 at 11:21.