For several days now I have had immense difficulty logging into any of my 3 XEN VMs. By way of background, this is an IBM X Series server with only 8GB of RAM. I'm running SLES11 SP4 as the host DOM0, and have three XEN VMs (OES, Groupwise, and Groupwise Mobility Server). I need to troubleshoot the GMS as it's not communicating with the POA, and hence syncing is not working: but I am unable to login to the VMs to try to fix this. No, I did not enable VNC.

When I try to open a VM from within the Virtual Machine Manager on the host, more often than not, I find that I'm offered a new login screen to the HOST, and not to the Guest (VM). I've followed SUSE document 3559698, and modified the minimum RAM for the host from 512 to 2048, and tried to enable 'ballooning no", but that stops me from even starting the XEN VMs ("xend err: 'not enough free memory and enable-dom0-ballooning is False, so I cannot release any more. I need 1049088 KiB but only have 219736). So I set it back to ballooning yes.

So I'm guessing I have memory issues, but am not sure what I should try as memory settings for both the Dom0 and each of the VMs. Can anyone point me to some simple instructions / guidelines for this? (The network is only for 3 user accounts, and I'm probably the main player)

Many thanks for any suggestions

Jerome