Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SLES 9,1 NFS issue

1. Re: SLES 9,1 NFS issue

Quote Originally Posted by krebstar3 View Post
    Weird, it just started working. So I snapshotted it, and left it alone. Was just planning on leaving it for now. However, it literally stopped working on its own...

I have created a support case with RHEL to see if they can help. Also, is there a process to do an in place upgrade of SUSE 9?

kreb
    You can do in place upgrade to SLES10SP4 using the media: https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=7008357
    From there you can go on to more recent version: https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=7016711

Thomas

2. Re: SLES 9,1 NFS issue

Hi kreb,
    Quote Originally Posted by krebstar3 View Post
    Also, is there a process to do an in place upgrade of SUSE 9?
    adding to Thomas' reply, if you want to go to SLES15 (latest as of today), you'd need to first upgrade to SLES11SP4 as described in the TIDs linked by Thomas, then can got to SLES 15 directly - see https://www.suse.com/documentation/s...supported.html

Only you know what's running on that server - but it'll be a bit of a hassle to bring it to SLES11SP4, i.e. getting your hands on the media and having downtime to do the offline upgrade. I guess that's why the SLES15 guide states about upgrading even from SLES10:

We recommend a fresh installation in this case.
    Regards,
    J
    From the times when today's "old school" was "new school"

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface, show your appreciation and click on the star below...

Re: SLES 9,1 NFS issue

Well, I downloaded and installed SLES12 just for testing purposes and I am running into the same problem. I do not know what the heck is going on!

I contacted RHEL and they did a tcpdump and found that the request is coming from SUSE and going to RHEL, RHEL is responding but for some reason it is not registering with SUSE. They told me that I need to reach out and have someone at SUSE look at the configuration.

We are currently out of support at the moment, but this whole fiasco is holding up an upgrade that I need to get resolved. Thinking about getting some support just to try and get through this issue.

4. Re: SLES 9,1 NFS issue

Hi,

one more thing I'd like to check: What kernel is the NFS *server* using?

Regards,
    J

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface, show your appreciation and click on the star below...

Re: SLES 9,1 NFS issue

Quote Originally Posted by jmozdzen View Post
    Hi,

one more thing I'd like to check: What kernel is the NFS *server* using?

Regards,
    J
    2.6.32-754.2.1.el6.x86_64 - Sent you an email with the pcap

6. Re: SLES 9,1 NFS issue

Just for the records: the pcap file shows the Portmap V2 "dump" request and response, the latter listing only portmap itself and "stat" as running services - just like reported above in #6, first invocation of "rpcinfo".

So the server does not report back that NFS is running at all, why (according to the product support response) the client should be able to connect anyhow, I don't know.

Regards,
    J

7. Re: SLES 9,1 NFS issue

On Fri 07 Sep 2018 05:34:01 PM CDT, jmozdzen wrote:

Just for the records: the pcap file shows the Portmap V2 "dump" request
    and response, the latter listing only portmap itself and "stat" as
    running services - just like reported above in #6, first invocation of
    "rpcinfo".

So the server does not report back that NFS is running at all, why
    (according to the product support response) the client should be able to
    connect anyhow, I don't know.

Regards,
    J

Hi
    Still interested in the system routing and maybe arp cache....

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLES 15 | GNOME Shell 3.26.2 | 4.12.14-25.16-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

8. Re: SLES 9,1 NFS issue

Quote Originally Posted by jmozdzen View Post
    Hm, sounds strange indeed. My first guess would have been a name resolution issue - but you mentioned that you had tried mounts via IP already.
    For those hitting this thread via search:

The issue was resolved, the root cause was a duplicate server IP on the network, which is why it intermittently failed. The "rpcinfo" and tcpdump trace mentioned in elsewhere in this tread was the reply from the wrongly configured machine, which didn't run an NFS server.

Murphy says: If you're hunting down "intermittent" network errors like these, make sure to pay attention to the MAC address of the replying machine. If you're sure the (in this case) server has the service running, but the client will not see it in the server's reply, it is indeed likely that the reply isn't from the server in question

Regards,
    J

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12