Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Migrating to SLED11-SP2

Re: Migrating to SLED11-SP2

Quote Originally Posted by LLiner View Post
    Just to add more info:

-because the verifier requested downgrading the newly installed kernel 3.0.34 to the previous one, 2.6.32.54. And I opted to uninstall virtualbox for the sake of updating to SP2 first. Now, when I try to install Virtualbox 4.1.2 again, YaST Program Manager proposes to downgrade kernel to 2.6.32.54
    Please inform SUSE and create a new case for this defect. This is what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnaudk93 View Post
    Please inform SUSE and create a new case for this defect. This is what I do.
    I've just reported a Software Defect (bug) at http://support.novell.com/additional/bugreport.html. Is it what I need to do? This is my first report.

-because the verifier requested downgrading the newly installed kernel 3.0.34 to the previous one, 2.6.32.54. And I opted to uninstall virtualbox for the sake of updating to SP2 first. Now, when I try to install Virtualbox 4.1.2 again, YaST Program Manager proposes to downgrade kernel to 2.6.32.54
    Try getting VirtualBox 4.1.18. I just installed that without problem.

I just found VirtualBox 4.1.2 (http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.1.2/) and was able to install VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.2_73507_sles11.0-1.x86_64.rpm without problem too.

Where did you get your VirtualBox package from and exactly what are you doing to try and install it?

Quote Originally Posted by mikewillis View Post
    I just found VirtualBox 4.1.2 (http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.1.2/) and was able to install VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.2_73507_sles11.0-1.x86_64.rpm without problem too.
    Where did you get your VirtualBox package from and exactly what are you doing to try and install it?
    I got VirtualBox from the same download site last August. Now I cannot say for sure which version I downloaded for my SLED11- Suse 11.3 or SLES11 (this has always been a dilemma for me).

Similarly, I am going to save the package on hard disk and install via YaST from HardDisk repository.
    I think SLES11 version (-4.1.18) is the right choice for SLED11-SP2 (i586, 32 bit)?

Thanks.
    Lliner

The two packages I was able to install are VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.18_78361_sles11.0-1.x86_64.rpm and VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.2_73507_sles11.0-1.x86_64.rpm You're using 32bit so if I were you I'd get the SLES11 i386 version from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Download it and to install it become root then run

Code:
    $ zypper in /path/to/where/you/saved/VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.18_78361_sles11.0-1.i586.rpm
    If it doesn't install, post all the output of the zypper command here (wrap it in CODE tags for readability)

Red face Re: Migrating to SLED11-SP2

Thank you very much, Mike!
    Everything (I think) is OK, VirtualBox for SLES11 has installed.

Code:
    > rpm -q VirtualBox-4.1
    VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.18_78361_sles11.0-1
    >
    And previously installed virtual machines are seen it it, with one (Windows) even working.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewillis View Post
    If it doesn't install, post all the output of the zypper command here (wrap it in CODE tags for readability)
    Code:
    Retrieving package VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.18_78361_sles11.0-1.i586 (1/1), 62.3 MiB (126.5 MiB unpacked)
    Installing: VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.18_78361_sles11.0-1 [done]
    Additional rpm output:
     warning: /var/cache/zypp/packages/_tmpRPMcache_/VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.18_78361_sles11.0-1.i586.rpm: Header V4 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 98ab5139
    Creating group 'vboxusers'. VM users must be member of that group!

No precompiled module for this kernel found -- trying to build one. Messages
    emitted during module compilation will be logged to /var/log/vbox-install.log.

Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules..done
    Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules..done
    Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS..failed
      (Failed, trying without DKMS)
    Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules..done
    Starting VirtualBox kernel modules..done
    BTW, what does the red warning mean?

And a minor isue: Why in YaST Software Manager VirtualBox version is shown in red? (And more other package versions)
    From the Manager's tip: "It is highlighted red if the version installed is no longer being made available in any configured repository."

Thanks

Llliner

BTW, what does the red warning mean?
    It means zypper was unable to verify the signature on the package. If you want to be able to verify the signature you need to import the relevant key. There's insurrection on this on https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
    And a minor isue: Why in YaST Software Manager VirtualBox version is shown in red? (And more other package versions)
    From the Manager's tip: "It is highlighted red if the version installed is no longer being made available in any configured repository."
    Never noticed that before (I very rarely use YaST for package management), but I think the relevant part of that last line is 'any configured repository'. The VirtualBox package you've got installed isn't in any of your configured repositories and so YaST indicates that by showing the version number in red. I see the same thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12