Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: SLES SP4 and Windows 2016 server

  1. #1

    SLES SP4 and Windows 2016 server

    Hi

    We have windows 2008 server virtual machines running on xen 3.0 (3.0.101-108.52-xen) on SLES 11 Sp4. We need to upgrade windows 2008 to windows 2016 server OS without upgrading SLES and Xen. Anything that we need to be aware running windows 2016 server on SLES 11Sp3/Xen3.0? .

    Does SLES Sp4 virtualization support windows 2016 server running on Xen 3?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: SLES SP4 and Windows 2016 server

    pradhanparas wrote:

    >
    > Hi
    >
    > We have windows 2008 server virtual machines running on xen 3.0
    > (3.0.101-108.52-xen) on SLES 11 Sp4. We need to upgrade windows 2008
    > to windows 2016 server OS without upgrading SLES and Xen. Anything
    > that we need to be aware running windows 2016 server on SLES
    > 11Sp3/Xen3.0? .
    >
    > Does SLES Sp4 virtualization support windows 2016 server running on
    > Xen 3?
    >
    > Thanks


    This is what the SLES 11 Virtualization with Xen Administration Guide
    has to say.

    https://www.suse.com/documentation/s..._vmguests.html

    Windows Server 2016 is not listed as a supported guest!

    --
    Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below this post.
    Thank you.

  3. #3

    Re: SLES SP4 and Windows 2016 server

    But technically it will still run right?

    Thanks for the reply.

    -Paras.

  4. #4

    Re: SLES SP4 and Windows 2016 server

    pradhanparas wrote:

    >
    > But technically it will still run right?
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > -Paras.


    There are generally two reasons why something is not supported:

    1. There are issues that could have a negative impact on the system.

    2. It hasn't been tested and therefore the vendor is unwilling to
    support it.

    Will it run? I don't know. I haven't tried.

    Even if it installs and boots, is this a configuration you want to rely
    upon and trust to host your valuable data? If you still wish to
    proceed, search the Internet for any information - positive or
    negative. I did a quick search and found nothing so I can provide no
    further insight.

    --
    Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below this post.
    Thank you.

  5. #5

    Re: SLES SP4 and Windows 2016 server

    Thanks for the reply.

    I see SLES 12 supports windows 2016 servers.

    https://www.suse.com/documentation/s...rt_guests.html

    I am new to SLES world.

    Can we upgrade SLES 11 SP4 to SLES 12 ?

    Thanks again
    Paras.

  6. #6

    Re: SLES SP4 and Windows 2016 server

    pradhanparas wrote:

    >
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > I see SLES 12 supports windows 2016 servers.
    >
    >

    https://www.suse.com/documentation/s...rt_guests.html
    >
    > I am new to SLES world.
    >
    > Can we upgrade SLES 11 SP4 to SLES 12 ?
    >
    > Thanks again
    > Paras.


    Hi Paras,

    If you're new to SLES I suggest you read the documentation. It should
    answer most, if not all, of your Questions.

    > Can we upgrade SLES 11 SP4 to SLES 12 ?


    Yes, See here.
    https://www.suse.com/documentation/s...sle_paths.html

    --
    Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below this post.
    Thank you.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •