Thread: SLES 15 differences

Hybrid View

SLES 15 differences

I'm running:
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

I just installed SLES 15 and started to play with it but the WSL install is different. For example, systemctl returns the error "Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory".

Is there a document that explains what is missing when running SLES 15 with WSL?
    Last edited by KBOYLE; 18-Jun-2019 at 00:53.
    Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below this post. Thanks.

Re: SLES 15 differences

Quote Originally Posted by KBOYLE View Post
    I'm running:
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

I just installed SLES 15 and started to play with it but the WSL install is different. For example, systemctl returns the error "Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory".

Is there a document that explains what is missing when running SLES 15 with WSL?
    I don't know about a document but I can say that WSL[v1] doesn't support systemd - see https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/8036 . Now whether that will change with WSLv2 which uses a native Linux kernel I don't know.

HTH.
    Simon
    SUSE Knowledge Partner
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.

Re: SLES 15 differences

Quote Originally Posted by smflood View Post
    I don't know about a document but I can say that WSL[v1] doesn't support systemd - see https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/8036 . Now whether that will change with WSLv2 which uses a native Linux kernel I don't know.

HTH.
    Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply and that link. I have seen similar information on GitHub and knew systemd was not supported. As pointed out on GitHub, there are a lot of services that depend on systemd which, of course, don't work too. I haven't attempted to identify which ones have systemd dependencies.

I decided to install WSL/SLES15 just to explore and see what I could do in a WSL environment but most of the things I tried didn't work. systemd is a major component. If it is not supported, that implies a lot of functionality is impacted. Such being the case, I would expect SUSE to provide a document explaining this.

Example: How to do a shutdown without systemd? I haven't found a way....
    Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below this post. Thanks.