Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Resize Partition error

  1. #1

    Resize Partition error

    Hello,

    I am trying to Resize my ext3 partition and I get the following message when trying to do so:

    "The file system is currently mounts on /. It is not possible to resize the file system while it is mounted. Unmount the file system and retry resizing."

    Is there a way to add space to the partition without unmounting and if not, what would the process be to unmount and then re-size and then re-mount?

    Thanks,
    Andrew

  2. Re: Resize Partition error

    Quote Originally Posted by acshearer View Post
    Hello,

    I am trying to Resize my ext3 partition and I get the following message when trying to do so:

    "The file system is currently mounts on /. It is not possible to resize the file system while it is mounted. Unmount the file system and retry resizing."

    Is there a way to add space to the partition without unmounting and if not, what would the process be to unmount and then re-size and then re-mount?

    Thanks,
    Andrew
    Hi Andrew
    All you need to do is boot from the install media in rescue mode (basically a live system) so all the partitions are unmounted, from here you can resize as required. What tools are you using?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3

    Re: Resize Partition error

    Hello,

    Thanks for the information. I am just trying to use Partitioner in Yast. I was hoping there was a way to do this without having to go into Rescue mode, but if that is the only way then that is what I will do.

    Thanks,
    Andrew

  4. Re: Resize Partition error

    Quote Originally Posted by acshearer View Post
    Hello,

    Thanks for the information. I am just trying to use Partitioner in Yast. I was hoping there was a way to do this without having to go into Rescue mode, but if that is the only way then that is what I will do.

    Thanks,
    Andrew
    Hi Andrew
    Well you could try an openSUSE Live version on USB?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. Re: Resize Partition error

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi Andrew
    Well you could try an openSUSE Live version on USB?
    Extending LVM can be done live, but requires some additional info.

    @author,
    Please provide current pvs,vgs & lvs and which partition/disk you want to use to extend.

  6. #6

    Re: Resize Partition error

    Hello,

    Where would I go to find the pvs, vgs & lvs? I am somewhat new to Linux. I am in the Partitioner and am looking the hard disks and I see the device and the two partitions but I don't see this info under there. If I click on Volume Management, nothing is in there.

    Andrew

  7. Re: Resize Partition error

    You need to get to the console/terminaland runthe following (won't change anything):
    Code:
    pvs
    vgs
    lvs
    lsblk
    fdisk -l
    Last edited by strahil-nikolov-dxc; 29-Sep-2019 at 10:27. Reason: Added fdisk to the list of commands

  8. #8

    Re: Resize Partition error

    Hello,

    Here are the results from running those commands....

    wy-gwise:~ # pvs
    wy-gwise:~ # vgs
    No volume groups found
    wy-gwise:~ # lvs
    No volume groups found
    wy-gwise:~ # lsblk
    NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO MOUNTPOINT
    cciss!c0d0 104:0 0 683.5G 0
    ââcciss!c0d0p1 104:1 0 2G 0 [SWAP]
    ââcciss!c0d0p2 104:2 0 544.8G 0 /
    sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0
    wy-gwise:~ # fdisk -l

    Disk /dev/cciss/c0d0: 733.9 GB, 733909245952 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 89226 cylinders, total 1433416496 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0008f61b

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 63 4209029 2104483+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/cciss/c0d0p2 * 4209030 1146732543 571261757 83 Linux
    wy-gwise:~ #


    Thanks,
    Andrew

  9. #9

    Re: Resize Partition error

    It is partition 2 that I want to expand, sorry I did not include that.

    Andrew

  10. Re: Resize Partition error

    Quote Originally Posted by acshearer View Post
    Hello,

    Here are the results from running those commands....

    wy-gwise:~ # pvs
    wy-gwise:~ # vgs
    No volume groups found
    wy-gwise:~ # lvs
    No volume groups found
    wy-gwise:~ # lsblk
    NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO MOUNTPOINT
    cciss!c0d0 104:0 0 683.5G 0
    ââcciss!c0d0p1 104:1 0 2G 0 [SWAP]
    ââcciss!c0d0p2 104:2 0 544.8G 0 /
    sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0
    wy-gwise:~ # fdisk -l

    Disk /dev/cciss/c0d0: 733.9 GB, 733909245952 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 89226 cylinders, total 1433416496 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0008f61b

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 63 4209029 2104483+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/cciss/c0d0p2 * 4209030 1146732543 571261757 83 Linux
    wy-gwise:~ #


    Thanks,
    Andrew
    OK , now I got what you want.
    You need to:
    1. Backup ALL data, as the following step is quite dangerous if you
    make a mistake

    2. Run:
    Code:
    fdisk -l /dev/cciss/c0d0
    Verify that partition table is old style 'Dos' and not GPT.

    3. Now delete partition 2 and recreate it in one step !
    Code:
     fdisk /dev/cciss/c0d0
    Press 'm' for help.
    Press 'd' and select second partition
    Then press 'n' for new partition, 'p' for primary and select number '2' for partition number.
    Select start sector to be '4209030' and end -> just press 'Enter' for the end of the disk .

    Last , but not least toggle the partition as bootable via 'a' flag.

    Last print via 'p' and confirm that Second partition has same attributes as before , and only the END is higher number.
    If anything differes - press 'q' to quit without any changes . If everything is the same and only the end is bigger - then press 'w' to write the changes.

    4. Run partprobe to try to redetect the bigger partition:
    Code:
     partprobe  /dev/cciss/c0d0
    Run either 'lsblk' or 'fdisk -l' and verify that the new partition has been redetected.
    Otherwise reboot the system.

    5. Extend your filesystem.
    As you got ext3, you can use:
    Code:
    resize2fs /dev/cciss/c0d0p2
    As you will work with storage , Proper backup is needed. It would be easier if you got LVM , as it is quite flexible in that matter.

    Good Luck!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •