Basic for evaluation are professional software for engineering CAD as Inventor or Solid Works. 2D CAD is not longer of interest since more and more companies do not supply any 2D drawings, but 3D models only. Those models contain all data needed as well as purchase specifications, quality requirements via PDM link. More and more tooling machines can read these models directly and simulate manufacturing.
3D capability started 30 years ago.
In the beginning, software was scientific where coordinates, measures and coding were needed.
Today these Software is focused on engineers needs. It is a tool - means the aim is not software but the product made with software. It works as an engineer think and as needed to get a proper design as fast as possible.
All these software works according similar logic and is easy to use - if you now one of them.

The 2 programs I have tested are VariCAD and BricsCAD. FreeCad I tested as well but is simply too far behind development on all levels. All other programs are mainly 2D focused.
Both Varicad and BricsCad have a technology standard as AUTOdesk had 20 years ago.
3D functionality is on a low level. Generate and especially edit models is not state of the art.
Varicad is a little bit stronger on 3D, but has developed own logic that make use difficult. Further it needs a scientific approach with cordinates and data.
Bricscad works more like AutoCad and is easier to use. However, edit 3D models is not easy. I would prefer BricsCAD.

In general: These software might be fine for private or rarely use. For professional use, working with these software is too slow compared to what expected today.
Advatage is the price. A licens cost segnificant less that for e.g. Inventor.