Hi martolvan,

getting DNS to work should be easy, but I didn't grab your setup yet. Am I right with the following description:

You have upgraded a SLES server to SLES11SP1. On that server, there's a DNS server ("named") running which serves some own domains and is used to resolve all other requests by forwarding such queries to the ISP name server and handles external DNS queries for your DNS domains.

Before the upgrade, you were able to resolve all local/internal and external queries. After the upgrade, resolving external queries still works, resolving internal queries for internal zones works, resolving internal queries for non-local domains doesn't work.

So far correct?

- On the server, does /etc/resolv.conf point to localhost and/or to it's "LAN IP address"?
- Does the name server configuration contain the proper "allow-recursion" and "forwarders" statements?
- Anything in syslog or named trace concerning this?

It might be helpful to see the related parts of you name server configuration and /etc/resolv.conf.

Regards,
Jens

PS: netconfig can be thought of as the general network auto-configuration framework on your server, while "ifconfig" is one of the available command tools to actually configure network settings of a device. Not seeing the mentioned error message I can only guess, but most probably YaST and its configuration back-ends detected manual changes of some config file (maybe because of the update process, maybe because of your recent actions to resolve the difficulties) and avoids overwriting these changes. You then ought to check the mentioned file and take appropriate action.