About 10 years ago, my wife and I bought a SentrySafe fire safe to keep
stuff in. About 3 weeks ago, I tried to open the safe, and it wouldn't
open. I've run into a situation where I might need some legal
documentation, so the need was somewhat pressing.

I'd been e-mailing, and in the end, I had to call to get help. Today was
the day (they're only open until 6 PM ET, so I had to take time out).

I talked to a support rep, and went through basic troubleshooting steps.
No dice. So I got escalated to a senior technician (after I got
disconnected and reconnected once at the front-line support). We tried a
few things, and then she suggested whacking the safe with a rubber
mallet. 5 times above the keypad, 5 times to the right of the keypad.

Whap whap whap whap whap

Whap whap whap whap whap

entered the code, aaaand......

Nope.

OK, try 10 times in each location, and a little harder.

Whap whap whap whap whap whap whap whap whap whap

Whap whap whap whap whap whap whap whap whap whap

entered the code.....

[click]

Dammed if it didn't open.

And the document I needed *wasn't in the safe*. It was in my wallet.

m-/

But they're sending me a replacement keypad and solenoid since it sounds
like the one we have is sticking. Apparently it's a known issue.

It was amusing, though, to be escalated to a "senior technician", whose
instructions (after reviewing everything we'd already done) were to *hit
it with a hammer*. This was what I spent about 20 minutes on hold for.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner