intermittent problem with VNC after upgrading to SLES11.3
We upgraded one of our SLES 11.2 servers to 11.3 this morning and immediately began having intermittent VNC connectivity issues. This is a box that people use VNC to access exclusively so it's causing us some headaches. I can VNC into it 2 or 3 times in a row but then it will fail with a "invalid protocol" error. I have to wait a few minutes before I try again so it must be some kind of timing issue. I spun up a backup of this machine from before the upgrade and that VNC is working flawlessly.
I've checked all the basic things but since I can connect several times before it begins failing, that eliminates questions such as "is the firewall enabled" or "is the machine listening on port 5901", etc.
I've opened an SR with Novell on this but they have run out of ideas and have sent it to their backline but I was hoping perhaps someone had run into this and had solved it.