Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: SuSe Enterprise Server 11 will not load to the desktop

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Exclamation SuSe Enterprise Server 11 will not load to the desktop

    So, I am pretty new to the Linux environment in general. I have a dual boot Win7 and openSUSE 13.1 on my laptop. At school, I do computational research and we use a Dell Server with SuSE Enterprise 11. I was trying to install LibreOffice and I had a lot of issues which I won't get into here. I went into YaST and tried to delete the files I installed and then I rebooted the machine. After hitting "shutdown":


    The computer screen went blank and just the mouse was displaying, so I hit the power button and sent a kill signal. The computer then shut down like normal (displayed the usual text on the shutdown procedure).
    Upon restart it loaded up normally as far as I can tell and it just went to command prompt. Also, a little script I wrote is no longer accepted? bash: export: '/../../../..(there's no reason to write the path)/gdv.profile': not a valid identifier. (This script allows new users to run the computational software installed on the server).

    Things I tried:

    command: startx - this would load up a screen where just the mouse is on the screen and the rest is blank
    I went into /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and added the line:
    Code:
    exec gnome-session
    in the middle of the file. This made it even worse!

    Then, I backed up xorg.conf as xorg_backup.conf and deleted the original file and reset the machine. Didn't work. I restored the original file.

    Here is another thing. In my Xorg.0.log shows WW warnings for a bunch of "fonts" files. Maybe this has to do with those files I deleted after trying to uninstall my failed LibreOffice attempt. Maybe some of these font files are system required?

    The computer still works as I am running calculations on it. But my professor and I would really like to have the desktop environment back so we can run spreadsheets and have a web browser.

    By the way: trying to run firefox from the command gives a no display error.

    Note: everything still works and the computational software package works fine (we run it from the shell anyway) - but we need the GUI environment for other tasks. Thank you.
    Last edited by erickabarnes; 28-Mar-2014 at 19:26.

  2. Re: SuSe Enterprise Server 11 will not load to the desktop

    On Fri 28 Mar 2014 06:34:01 PM CDT, erickabarnes wrote:


    So, I am pretty new to the Linux environment in general. I have a dual
    boot Win7 and openSUSE 13.1 on my laptop. At school, I do computational
    research and we use a Dell Server with SuSE Enterprise 11. I was trying
    to install LibreOffice and I had a lot of issues which I won't get into
    here. I went into YaST and tried to delete the files I installed and
    then I rebooted the machine. After hitting "shutdown":


    The computer screen went blank and just the mouse was displaying, so I
    hit the power button and sent a kill signal. The computer then shut down
    like normal (displayed the usual text on the shutdown procedure).
    Upon restart it loaded up normally as far as I can tell and it just went
    to command prompt. Also, a little script I wrote is no longer accepted?
    bash: export: '/../../../..(there's no reason to write the
    path)/gdv.profile': not a valid identifier. (This script allows new
    users to run the computational software installed on the server).

    Things I tried:

    command: startx - this would load up a screen where just the mouse is on
    the screen and the rest is blank
    I went into /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and added the line:
    Code:
    exec gnome-session
    in the middle of the file. This made it even worse!

    Then, I backed up xorg.conf as xorg_backup.conf and deleted the original
    file and reset the machine. Didn't work. I restored the original file.

    Here is another thing. In my Xorg.0.log shows WW warnings for a bunch of
    "fonts" files. Maybe this has to do with those files I deleted after
    trying to uninstall my failed LibreOffice attempt. Maybe some of these
    font files are system required?

    The computer still works as I am running calculations on it. But my
    professor and I would really like to have the desktop environment back
    so we can run spreadsheets and have a web browser.

    By the way: trying to run firefox from the command gives a no display
    error.

    Note: everything still works and the computational software package
    works fine (we run it from the shell anyway) - but we need the GUI
    environment for other tasks. Thank you.


    Hi
    This is the SLED one not SLES What version of SLES, can you post the
    output from to following two commands;
    Code:
    cat /etc/SuSE-release
    
    hwinfo --gfxcard
    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  3. #3

    Re: SuSe Enterprise Server 11 will not load to the desktop

    Malcolm,

    I'm currently running a Dell hardware diagnostic. Once it is done, I will post a reply. thank you.

    p.s. The openSUSE form already yelled at me about this and directed me here. :-p

  4. #4

    Re: SuSe Enterprise Server 11 will not load to the desktop

    SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64)
    VERSION = 11
    PATCHLEVEL = 1


    GFXCARD:
    35: PCI 603.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
    [Created at pci.318]
    UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_102b_532
    Unique ID: 7p19.GQCSMqQrnoB
    Parent ID: 6NW+.two+GgbUMg7
    SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:06:03.0
    SysFS BusID: 0000:06:03.0
    Hardware Class: graphics card
    Model: "Matrox G200 eW"
    Vendor: pci 0x102b "Matrox Graphics, Inc."
    Device: pci 0x0532 "G200 eW"
    SubVendor: pci 0x1028 "Dell"
    SubDevice: pci 0x029b
    Revision: 0x0a
    Memory Range: 0xd3000000-0xd37fffff (rw,prefetchable)
    Memory Range: 0xdc7fc000-0xdc7fffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
    Memory Range: 0xdc800000-0xdcffffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
    Memory Range: 0xdc000000-0xdc00ffff (ro,prefetchable,disabled)
    IRQ: 10 (no events)
    I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
    Module Alias: "pci:v0000102Bd00000532sv00001028sd0000029Bbc03sc0 0i00"
    Driver Info #0:
    XFree86 v4 Server Module: mga
    Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
    Attached to: #25 (PCI bridge)

    Primary display adapter: #35


  5. Re: SuSe Enterprise Server 11 will not load to the desktop

    On Fri 28 Mar 2014 08:14:01 PM CDT, erickabarnes wrote:


    SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64)
    VERSION = 11
    PATCHLEVEL = 1


    GFXCARD:
    > 35: PCI 603.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
    > [Created at pci.318]
    > UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_102b_532
    > Unique ID: 7p19.GQCSMqQrnoB
    > Parent ID: 6NW+.two+GgbUMg7
    > SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:06:03.0
    > SysFS BusID: 0000:06:03.0
    > Hardware Class: graphics card
    > Model: "Matrox G200 eW"
    > Vendor: pci 0x102b "Matrox Graphics, Inc."
    > Device: pci 0x0532 "G200 eW"
    > SubVendor: pci 0x1028 "Dell"
    > SubDevice: pci 0x029b
    > Revision: 0x0a
    > Memory Range: 0xd3000000-0xd37fffff (rw,prefetchable)
    > Memory Range: 0xdc7fc000-0xdc7fffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
    > Memory Range: 0xdc800000-0xdcffffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
    > Memory Range: 0xdc000000-0xdc00ffff (ro,prefetchable,disabled)
    > IRQ: 10 (no events)
    > I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
    > Module Alias: "pci:v0000102Bd00000532sv00001028sd0000029Bbc03sc0 0i00"
    > Driver Info #0:
    > XFree86 v4 Server Module: mga
    > Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
    > Attached to: #25 (PCI bridge)
    >
    > Primary display adapter: #35
    >
    >
    >



    Hi
    OK, lets re-create your xorg file;
    Code:
    su -
    init 3
    sax2 -r -m 0=mga
    exit && init 5
    Configure the display via sax2, save and exit.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  6. #6

    Re: SuSe Enterprise Server 11 will not load to the desktop

    OK. I just did that. So, that's next?

  7. Re: SuSe Enterprise Server 11 will not load to the desktop

    On Mon 31 Mar 2014 01:24:01 PM CDT, erickabarnes wrote:


    OK. I just did that. So, that's next?


    Hi
    So you made it back to runlevel 5 and still no desktop?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  8. #8

    Re: SuSe Enterprise Server 11 will not load to the desktop

    Nope.

    Do I have to restart to make changes? I tried startx and nothing.

  9. #9

    Re: SuSe Enterprise Server 11 will not load to the desktop

    I just typed in init 5 as su and got this error message: Failed service in runlevel 5: xdm

    It also gives a segmentation fault in usr/sbin/gdm

  10. Re: SuSe Enterprise Server 11 will not load to the desktop

    On Mon 31 Mar 2014 02:24:02 PM CDT, erickabarnes wrote:


    I just typed in init 5 as su and got this error message: Failed service
    in runlevel 5: xdm

    It also gives a segmentation fault in usr/sbin/gdm


    Hi
    Can you try the following command as root user;
    Code:
    rcxdm restart
    Else if you can restart that may help.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •