Hi jcw_av,

Quote Originally Posted by jcw_av View Post
Assuming that I somehow find the time for the recommended post-upgrade package research, where would I go? Unfortunately what rcrpmconfigcheck offers is quite insufficient for a non-expert like myself. It seems to me that it could offer some web links. Ideally that information would include specifics on what package settings the upgrade changed on that system, or it should at least focus on changes generally made when going from the previous patch level to the new. Lacking any of that extremely helpful output now, however, can you please point me in the right direction?
again: rcrpmconfigcheck can only report that some package's installer has decided to leave the configuration task to the admin of that service - it's the packages' postinstall routines that create those "rpmsave" or "rpmnew" files, not rcrpmconfigcheck. Think of "rcrpmcheck" as a "find" command, run to spot all these left-overs of previous update runs.

First thing I check under such circumstances is whether I actually need/run that service at all. If I can disable the service, I need not worry about its configuration file(s) and make sure that the new one is active and the old one is put aside.

Then, if I cannot judge the changes by looking at the files themselves, I look at the manual pages or other documentation of the service. If in question what the service/package actually is, "rpm -qf <configfilenameincludingpath>" ought to tell you which package "hosts" the config file (*not* the "rpmsave" or "rpmnew" file, but the actual config file name). If the man page doesn't help (or doesn't exist), then "rpm -ql <packagename>" may expose some documentation files installed on the local system and "rpm -qi <packagename>" sometimes gives a pointer to some project web site.

If you feel that the package installer needs to report more and/or better details on the upgrade process, you need to contact the package maintainer, which usually is someone "upstream" from SUSE for open source packages. Of course, opening a service request with SUSE will make sure you receive appropriate installation/upgrade support, too.

With regards,
Jens